At Goal weight, No fireworks!?!

2»

Replies

• akm0615
    akm0615 Posts: 28 Member
    @springlering62

Agreed. I read this on another one of your posts and it immediately hit home. I intend to live by this... “I have to treat maintenance like I’m always ten pounds away from goal”. Thank you for all your great posts.

@AnnPT77

Oh yes, the adulting thing... sometimes it takes sound minds to help guide the confused one like mine. Thank you.

Thank you all for always keeping us positive and motivated... your journeys are super inspiring irrespective of the goal. It is definitely the journey more than the destination that truly matters.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 282 Member
    Congratulations😃
    I have not read the other replies, so please forgive if it is a repeat.
    I would like to suggest now that you are at goal weight, make it your life mission to focus on your health and wellness?
    A worthwhile goal because you are worth it😊
  • Kaitie9399
    Kaitie9399 Posts: 1,264 Member
    briscogun wrote: »
    I think it's because you realized that hitting the number on the scale isn't the end. It's not a finish line where you run through, win the prize, and then go back to what you were doing. It's just a signpost along the journey.

The weight on the scale is how the previous lifestyle manifested itself. Now you have a new lifestyle, and maintaining that is the new goal. Or even improving on it by doing your recomp. The finish line shifted within you. It's not just about the weight on the scale anymore. You have new goals that you acquired while you were losing!

Perfectly said. The scale was just a number to achieve, now comes the real beginning. Stay focused and keep the mindset of always monitoring your new lifestyle. I lost sight of the prize the first time around and gained all my weight back. This time around I know with a surety that, the scale number will not stay there without me staying laser focused on keeping it there--permanently. I have a life long goal of always coming to MFP daily to record my calories and connecting with other people.
  • gladz2014
    gladz2014 Posts: 28 Member
    i am late to this, but may I just say, congratulations and I love your "whys" .... that is more important than anything else. yay! you! @akm0615
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    You might find the opening post of this thread interesting, if you don't already know it:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10662287/the-goal-is-the-process/p1.
  • akm0615
    @charmmeth

Definitely insightful. Thank you for sharing. I agree with that approach 100%. (Especially now that I have had the time to rethink my fireworks. LOL)
  • charmmeth
    edited September 2020
    akm0615 wrote: »
    @charmmeth

Definitely insightful. Thank you for sharing. I agree with that approach 100%. (Especially now that I have had the time to rethink my fireworks. LOL)

@akm0615 <3 (But I still think you could allow yourself a firework or two!)
  • akm0615
    @charmmeth <3o:) Thank you!
  • charmmeth
    brendog79 wrote: »
    I've lost a great deal of weight since may 20th. Im 297 now was 382lbs. But I'm not as excited as I was before and really didn't get excited when I got under 300 for the first time in almost 9 years. Im not gaining but my calories have gone up and I'm not consistent enough with my calories. I need to go back to walking more to put me in a better mood and listening to my music. I weigh myself everyday and was losing 4 to 6 lbs a week now only 1 or 2lbs and I feel discouraged.

It sounds from what you say as though you have lost a lot very fast, and that you might now need to take a realistic look at what is possible for you. 4-6 lbs loss per week is not sustainable, but 1-2 lbs a week loss is more likely to be, and (although it's a long haul) will add up more quickly than you suspect. (It's also better to lose more slowly so that your skin can keep up.) Hang on in there and keep losing at that rate. As others have said elsewhere, it took you a lot more than six months to put that weight on, so you need to allow time for it to come off. I believe there is a really supportive group on MFP for those who have a lot to lose; might you check that out?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    brendog79 wrote: »
    I've lost a great deal of weight since may 20th. Im 297 now was 382lbs. But I'm not as excited as I was before and really didn't get excited when I got under 300 for the first time in almost 9 years. Im not gaining but my calories have gone up and I'm not consistent enough with my calories. I need to go back to walking more to put me in a better mood and listening to my music. I weigh myself everyday and was losing 4 to 6 lbs a week now only 1 or 2lbs and I feel discouraged.

It sounds from what you say as though you have lost a lot very fast, and that you might now need to take a realistic look at what is possible for you. 4-6 lbs loss per week is not sustainable, but 1-2 lbs a week loss is more likely to be, and (although it's a long haul) will add up more quickly than you suspect. (It's also better to lose more slowly so that your skin can keep up.) Hang on in there and keep losing at that rate. As others have said elsewhere, it took you a lot more than six months to put that weight on, so you need to allow time for it to come off. I believe there is a really supportive group on MFP for those who have a lot to lose; might you check that out?

How about this group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

It's a good'un.
  • wruper
    wruper Posts: 43 Member
    I had a dream once where I.was climbing a mountain--a big effort and very difficult. I finally made it to the top and I was mifted too. So I made my goal!! But I wasn't excited. No fireworks. Rather I thought what's next, I have reached the top. Where else is their to go? Yes, I enjoyed the view but I think that the challenge was what excited me and I had met the challenge and didn't have another challenge. Today I try to remember that the challenge for me is to stay on the top of the mountain and not go tumbling back down only to have to climb the same or even a worse mountain next. Hope my insight gives you food for thought and encouragement.
  • charmmeth
    akm0615 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone, Thank you all for all the support you have given me so far. Remember the fireworks I was talking about. It is here!!!! In an amazing way... It is visual and yes, I could not have done this without all of your support. So thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

You look just fantastic! Well done!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    why not look at some pictures of you heavier and compare them to now. That visual should give you some sense of accomplishment. When I lost all my weight, I recall the disappointing thing was; I had a hard time finding new style clothes to wear. I was so used to blousy tops and such. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
    However, I gained some back during the pandemic.. I'm on my last five pounds or so to get back where I was. Boy! I can't wait to get back in all those clothes it took me time to select.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!