Losing weight over 50

Options
Hi, does anyone know if age factors in when counting calories with fitness pal. I'm extremely new to watching calories and what I eat and appreciate any advice. Thank you for your time.

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Not really, you move less as you age typically but there's no formula difference. For full disclosure, I don't track any longer (I did religiously for like three years after reaching maintenance), but I stay active on the forums. I keep my setting at "Sedentary" under the Diet Profile section. Now, I have a desk job, but it's also partly because I'm 56.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Being a little older has a truly minuscule effect on the ability to lose weight, all other things being equal.

Meaning that a person of 20, 30, 40, 50....etc of the same weight, height and level of activity/exercise will lose weight at the same rate. The calorie differences in what’s required only differ in the 10’s of calories over the decades.

As part of the set up on MFP it does ask for your age (or birthdate) I don’t recall which now, so any tiny differences are already accounted for in the calorie goal calculation.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Actually, there is! It's fairly small though. If you want to know how big it is use a TDEE calculator and use it with 20 year and 50. The difference is not that big though
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Don't fall into the 'my metabolism is slowing down with age' trap. I could post some links but you can do your own research. There are many good threads here in the archives, I just read through them.

It all comes down to tracking our data points. Really. It's an accurate picture of where we need to eat more or reel it in a tad. Don't overwhelm yourself. Aim for .5 lb a week.
  • Deedoyle9721
    Deedoyle9721 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and I do feel it's a bit harder to lose weight at this age but... it certainly can be done!
    (this is just my opinion, not written in stone anywhere. lol)

In 2012 I lost 32 lbs in 1 year with Nutrisystem and I maintained that loss for several years but then the weight slowly crept back on (about 15 lbs). I tried to go back on NS, didn't work, tried many other fad diets out there - didn't work.

In May I decided to try MyFitnessPal and have lost those 15 lbs!

I track all my food here...
    I try to eat real food (trying to stay away from chemical-ridden foods although I'm not a fanatic).

I enjoy all food groups:
    mostly fish & chicken and some pork but rarely beef
    potatoes with real butter & light sour cream
    lots of salads or steamed veggies
    fresh fruits
    whole wheat bread & pasta (I love my cinnamon toast!)
    yummy sweets occasionally
    Jim Beam & diet coke, or wine occasionally
    etc.

I eat mostly healthy real foods and this site helps me with PORTION SIZES - it was quite an eye-opener!
    But pretty easy to follow!!!

I also do a 40 min youtube workout 5x a week (mostly strength with some cardio, pilates & yoga)

"Whatever you do to lose weight you must be willing to do the rest of your life" is a great motto!

This IS a "diet" I can easily follow for life!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Our bodies have a chronological age and a biological age. We can't control how we age with our genetics but we can affect how old we look and act and feel with food and exercise.

It's interesting to see age through someone else's eyes but some of the most dynamic success stories here have nothing to do with age. Let your age eat your dust. You will not be deterred.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    You start by getting your eating right. Use MFP to figure out how much you really need to eat. Get out the cup measures and buy a food scale. Develop some new meals and snacks that you know are within your calorie budget.

Then add exercise. Depending on your health and fitness level, this could be anything from walking to high-intensity interval training. Start easy if you haven't been exercising for a while.

Team up with a friend who is also interested in weight control and fitness. Nowadays, it can be completely remote. But, I find that it works best with someone you know well and trust.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @charmmeth : Thank you for sharing your experience.

Disagreers: When you clicked that button, you appeared to be denying @charmmeth's personal experience, which makes no sense. If you have a different experience, post it.

Or they could be disagreeing with this statement, "I think age is a factor for many women".

Of course we are all an experiment of 1 so sure doesn't make sense to deny @charmmeth personal experience, but this sounds like a blanket statement for a large population.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was not intending to extrapolate from my experience as a blanket statement for all women, but to say that age could be a factor for some women. Apologies if it came over differently. I completely agree that other factors play a major role too (grief is a huge one and in my experience - and as a priest, I do have a bit of experience of accompanying people through grief, not just my own - this can work both ways: some gain weight, some lose). But the OP was asking about age, and that was what I was trying to respond to.

@AnnPT77, what you say makes perfect sense, but when I was in the middle of feeling that my metabolism was going mad, it was quite difficult to step back and think about how rational that was and how to deal with it. I did and that's why I am here, but I still have the very vivid experience of realising that had been working for me was no longer doing so. There is a real change for me: I have also for another thread just looked back at my food diary for December 2014, and I can see that I was eating a lot more and exercising a lot less than now but losing at about the same rate. So for me, personally, something has changed over the past five or six year in how the balance of food and exercise in the process of weight loss functions.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When I was 52 I weighed my heaviest at 202, and started with MFP.

In 6 months I lost 35 lbs. It took me 6 more months to lose another 10-12 pounds; I have been stable at that weight (mid-150s) for over a year. Trying to lose the "last 5" now, before the end of the year.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    i was 49 at my heaviest in 2006, and a year later, i had lost 61 pounds; it wasn't any harder or different than it was to lose weight in my 20s. now i'm 63, losing additional weight, and it seems to come off exactly as i'd expect for my amount of calories per day, exercise and muscle mass. while my muscle mass is lower, i don't know that it's age related - i work at my desk and had injuries that kept me inactive for a while. now i'm working out hard and muscle is increasing.

everyone is different, so your mileage may vary.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Personally, I don't think age or sex or genetics are major factors in whether youcan lose or maintain wt because the way you lose and maintain wt is the same regardless: control of your food intake.

Call it CICO or whatever you like, if you are eating more cals than your body burns, you will gain wt and the "trick" is to figure out for yourself how to manage that.

For me, it's eating whatever Ilike but
    counting all of the food/cals consumed on MFP and weighing myself daily and cutting back when my wt creeps up.

I'm not saying that this is the only way to do it but regardless of what method you use, it all boils down to calorie control and how you manage it given your specific needs and differences.