Winter months

Options

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you will struggle with diet and exercise come winter? Be concrete, then work on creating a strategy for each point.

I live in Sweden. Avg daytime temperature will be around -5C or so for at least 3 months probably diving down below -10C on more than one occasion. We don’t get heaps of snow but the roads will be packed down ice/sludge and walking/running done more carefully.

I actually like winter. I see this has been mentioned upthread but SOUP is brilliant. I usually eat vegetable soup at least once per day in winter. Wonderful low calorie option, great range of variation (I get a weekly veg box of seasonal produce) and while I limit sides adding a boiled egg or some Crispbread with cheese on the side is still a modest meal.

I also enjoy blueberry tea to finish off my evenings in the colder seasons and it curbs a lot of sweet cravings, allowing me to reduce snacking further.

In terms of exercise depending on what you enjoy and what the weather is like in your location there are options. I’ll get winter tyres for my bike so I can keep travelling to yoga and padel at different locations. I’ll probably reduce my weekly running mileage and drop one run per week in favour of swimming. My at-home morning yoga stays the same, potentially with the addition of candles.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Normally I dislike winter for 1 reason... my commute. This year, we went WFH due to the pandemic and it has become pretty much permanent. So no driving in the ice and snow! Woohoo!

I HATE summer. I hate being too hot. In winter you can just add layers and blankets. In summer you can only take so much off! I sleep better in winter as well as I like the weight of the blankets and it's colder. Plus my cats are little heaters so it's much nicer to cuddle with them when it is cold.

I love winter sleeping!

BEST SLEEP OF MY LIFE was when I was doing winter camping in upstate NY. I was quite comfortable at 17 degrees F. 7 degrees F was a little cold, but this was on me for using a 3 season tent instead of a winter tent. Again, proper gear is critical. (I had valid reasons for not having a winter tent, and indoor options for when it got too cold for me.)
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Minnesota has cold, long winters. Like @kshama2001 said, if you’re dressed properly, it’s fine. I remember a very cold snap a couple January’s ago (-34 F with windchill of -70 it doesn’t take much wind when it’s that cold) I was out walking in our woods. I much prefer that to what we’re having this week. 90F with tropical dew points in the 70’s. I think kshama2001 and I are kindred spirits.

mibvb.jpg

I don't currently have gear that would support -34 F with windchill of -70, but was issued it when I was stationed in Plattsburg, NY, and would get it again if I lived in that sort of climate.

Like you, I'd prefer that over 90F with tropical dew points in the 70’s - YUCK.

This is some of what we were issued:

https://www.armynavysales.com/g-i-n3b-extreme-cold-weather-parka-mj118-353.html

n3b_without_bob_1.jpg

https://www.armynavysales.com/g-i-muk-luks-mf119-270.html

DSCN6351_6.JPG

Don't forget the liners!

(I'd only recommend mukluks for when trudging through snow - I'm sure there are less clunky cold weather hiking boots that are better for walking on dry ground. In Massachusetts, I'm fine with insulated hiking boots, cotton socks, and wool socks.)
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am already dreading our New England winter especially because I anticipate we will still be limiting our socializing and other activities. I am getting ideas of things that I can look forward to. Right now I am looking for healthy recipes that will be good over the winter- ( I like to cook and try new recipes.) I have been working out at home so I will just continue that. My favorite videos are Leslie Sansone but I do others as well. I also do strength training. I am thinking ahead to some changes I want to make in my garden. And I remind myself that by Feb. the days will be getting longer again and spring/summer will come again.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For the last 5 years or so, all winter long I've bundled up and walked in the woods every day during the week at lunch time, unless it was raining, in which case I would do yoga or strength train inside, or snowing, when I would shovel or go snow shoeing.

I am far more likely to feel trapped indoors by summer heat than winter cold.

There's no such thing as "too cold" - just insufficient gear ;)

I live in Arizona and it's so *kitten* hot most of the year that getting outdoors is a struggle. And it love to be outside. We are planning a move for better weather and outdoor activities.
  • LMBelladonna
    LMBelladonna Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dreading the winter months as I think I will struggle with both diet and exercise. Anyone got any tips

My heart goes out to you. I am from a cold climate and moved to a hot one bc the winters were getting way too long for me.

Things that helped me in my former environment were getting a good sun lamp (Amazon) and joining a full service gym. They cost more, but I budgeted it in because being able to occasionally swim even though it was below zero, sit in a sauna or steam room and have a place where I could get out excess energy indoors was well worth it! Good luck!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I HATE summer. I hate being too hot. In winter you can just add layers and blankets. In summer you can only take so much off! I sleep better in winter as well as I like the weight of the blankets and it's colder. Plus my cats are little heaters so it's much nicer to cuddle with them when it is cold.

This is so funny because I'm the exact opposite! I like summer because you can just take layers off, wear shorts and t-shirts and sandals, sit outside in the breeze... But in Winter there are only so many layers you can put on! No one ever lost a toe to frost bite in summer! My face doesn't hurt when I go outside in the summer. My fingers don't crack open in the summer.

I know winter is coming so I'm outside as much as I can get right now trying to suck up the heat like a lizard sitting on a rock! Only 8 more months until summer... :#
  • kshama2001
    Options
    StargazerB wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For the last 5 years or so, all winter long I've bundled up and walked in the woods every day during the week at lunch time, unless it was raining, in which case I would do yoga or strength train inside, or snowing, when I would shovel or go snow shoeing.

I am far more likely to feel trapped indoors by summer heat than winter cold.

There's no such thing as "too cold" - just insufficient gear ;)

I live in Arizona and it's so *kitten* hot most of the year that getting outdoors is a struggle. And it love to be outside. We are planning a move for better weather and outdoor activities.

Yes, I lived in South Florida for 7 years and spent more time indoors there than I do in Massachusetts.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    1poundatax wrote: »
    I am already dreading our New England winter especially because I anticipate we will still be limiting our socializing and other activities. I am getting ideas of things that I can look forward to. Right now I am looking for healthy recipes that will be good over the winter- ( I like to cook and try new recipes.) I have been working out at home so I will just continue that. My favorite videos are Leslie Sansone but I do others as well. I also do strength training. I am thinking ahead to some changes I want to make in my garden. And I remind myself that by Feb. the days will be getting longer again and spring/summer will come again.

I'm in Massachusetts. One thing I like about the snow is footprints - I can see who, man or beast, uses the same trails as I do. Behind my house, it's mostly deer, rabbits, and coyotes.

On the other hand, it is gratifying to see how much our state and town parks get used by humans in the winter. I've never had to break trail on the main trails - a few years back when we had feet and feet of snow, at one place volunteers who lived nearby would use snowblowers to clear a mile of trail and hikers and skiers would pack down more trails. At another place, someone would plow a good section of trail, and again, other hikers would pack down sections inaccessible to plow trucks.

A friend gave me a pair of snow shoes he found at a yard sale for $5 - what a great calorie burn!

The above all presumes it is snow that keeps you inside. If it's just the cold, see above and bundle up :) I wear layers and like to start off a little cold, otherwise I will be way too hot at walk's end.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs who need walking separately so no choice for me; it's much more appealing going outside in winter when you dress appropriately. Took a while for me to work out what that meant when I moved from the south coast to the north of England but it's a doddle with the right gear on.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am unstoppable. Bring on any season and any type of weather and I will find a way to make progress.

BUT if something were going to slow me down it would be this MUGGY and HOT weather. Walking out the door is like getting smacked across the face. The humidity makes me feel like an ant under a magnifying glass when the sun is free of clouds. It sucks the life out of me. I have not let it stop me but it is not as easy. I don't even sweat that much but I am still going through multiple shirts each day.

Except for adding layers which adds time to getting out cooler weather is easier. I have many outside fall projects lined up just waiting for sub 80 degree temps.

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Everybody already took my answers. ;)
    Shoveling helps keep me active, even expanding on places I've already shoveled or helping the neighbors by shoveling. Snow-shoeing is so much fun! Walk on the days you can stand it(IOW when it's not -10). Jump rope, hula hoop, treadmill. Always dress for the weather, so much easier to take off a layer if you need to. Dance. Coffee!!! Tea!

And for foods, I love soups! I make a Minestrone Soup that I could eat all week long and that stuff is so versatile it keeps me happy. Stir-fries would be another good versatile hot food.

I have so much more energy from fall thru spring, summer puts me in a humid schlump. But then, we're all different. :) And all I want to eat is ice cream. :(

If you're just looking to keep busy so you don't overeat, winter is such a great time to think about volunteering. Take an online course.

Those are some of my tools for surviving the cold months. I'm an introvert through and through so not getting outside my comfort zone doesn't bother me as much as it would some people.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

One thing I like about the snow is footprints - I can see who, man or beast, uses the same trails as I do. Behind my house, it's mostly deer, rabbits, and coyotes.

^This. I also am an introvert, so being outside snowshoeing is a great pleasure and a good workout. I live in Vermont and as long as you're layered up it isn't bad. And the beauty on a cold day with sparkling snow is unbeatable. I'm lucky to be able to walk out my back door and have logging trails and backwoods. And hauling in firewood is a good work out too. An old timer once told me, "the cold keeps the riff-raff out." But now I joke that maybe "the cold keeps the riff-raff in". lol. Living where the temps drop below zero isn't for everyone, I agree. As long as there's snow I'm happy.

• sianlr87
    sianlr87 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    No snow where I live, just miserable wet weather... I have a horse so have no choice. Have to get outside twice a day. Mucking out a stable daily and a turnout pen every couple of days. Try and get a few rides in per week, but yes, am less active in the winter generally. Having said that, I use my slow cooker a lot to make low calorie stews / casseroles that are very warming and filling. Also make a few different soups too, so no issue with food in the winter :smile:
  • ReenieHJ
    Options
    onward1 wrote: »

One thing I like about the snow is footprints - I can see who, man or beast, uses the same trails as I do. Behind my house, it's mostly deer, rabbits, and coyotes.

^This. I also am an introvert, so being outside snowshoeing is a great pleasure and a good workout. I live in Vermont and as long as you're layered up it isn't bad. And the beauty on a cold day with sparkling snow is unbeatable. I'm lucky to be able to walk out my back door and have logging trails and backwoods. And hauling in firewood is a good work out too. An old timer once told me, "the cold keeps the riff-raff out." But now I joke that maybe "the cold keeps the riff-raff in". lol. Living where the temps drop below zero isn't for everyone, I agree. As long as there's snow I'm happy.

I live in Vermont too!! Now I'm curious as to where you are. :blush: When my PCP recommended MFP to me she said a lot of people had told her they'd had great success here. So my first thought was wow, wish I could get to know some of them and form a walking club. :/ But then ya know...introvert....solitude. :) Anyways, HI neighbor!
  • cathrynjtaylor
    cathrynjtaylor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feel im slipping back a bit with my exercise and eating routine. Does anyone find the winter months harder
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yes, I find that too: it's dark in the mornings and evenings so harder to find motivation to exercise, and comforting, warming food is more important...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m in the U.K. so totally appreciate that the fluctuations in weather are much less extreme than in other parts of the world, but I’ve always found it easier to lose weight going into Autumn and Winter. I start to struggle again around the end of April.

In fact I’ve pretty much maintained last autumn/winter weight loss all through the summer and have kicked it up a notch the last few weeks to lose the last 10-14lbs this winter.

I have no insights into why this is 🤷‍♀️
  • ReenieHJ
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It's a season of wrapping up in a cozy cocoon, eating comfort foods, and evading the outside world as much as possible. Yes, doesn't do much for the activity levels, being social(not a big change over the past 9 months there) and eating green salads. :)
    Plus, when you wrap yourself up in more layers it's easier to not think of the extra weight that might be accumulating under there. :)
    My saving grace(I think) will be shoveling, and creating healthy hearty soups.