Chicken Leg Quarter

Options
I'm pretty new here so I am trying to get a sense of how many calories my staple foods have and I am running into a problem regarding chicken leg quarter (and really and other chicken parts).
I have a leg quarter that weighs 481 grams (or 17 oz) raw with bones. How do I find out how many calories I get from eating it baked without skin?
The standard "1.0 Baked chicken leg quarter" gives me way too little of an amount but if I specify the weight it gives me way too high of an amount. Any solutions?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    The simplest answer is to weigh the bones and other bits you didn’t eat and subtract that weight from the starting weight of your ‘chicken leg quarter’ (I’m not even sure what that is? Does that mean a quarter of a chicken leg - which seems like a small amount - or a quarter of a chicken that includes the leg?) Can you tell I’m a vegetarian!? 😂
  • LeonCohenFD
    LeonCohenFD Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's what I was doing. I found out online that about 30% of the weight of a leg quarter is bones so I subtracted that from the weight and it gave me a pretty good number. I was just wondering if there was a simpler way of doing it.
    A chicken leg quarter is the thigh and the drumstick combined (you can just google it).
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Could you just take the meat off the bone when it's cooked, weigh that and put it in as cooked chicken thigh?
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    Could you just take the meat off the bone when it's cooked, weigh that and put it in as cooked chicken thigh?
    That’s how I do it.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    1. Take the chicken
    2. Cook it
    3. Remove the skin and bone
    4. Weigh it
    5. Use something proper like this for referencing calories/nutrients :. https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/782129 (choose the appropriate portion code, in this instance 61129)
    6. If only interested in the calories, use the reference portion as a guide (for this example, the portion is 120g), and scale calories accordingly

You only have to do this once. Next time you cook a chicken, you know what is up.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I weigh my meat raw. After I've eaten the meat, I weigh the bones I'm left with and deduct that from my starting figure. I then log the meat using a suitable 'chicken, raw' entry.

Different methods of cooking will determine how much moisture is lost /gained, so I prefer to weigh raw. Cooking won't make much difference to the weight of the bones though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    spyro88 wrote: »
    beaglady wrote: »
    That’s how I do it.

Yes, if it is not in a recipe, that's how I record chicken thighs.