7 wks of cardio and nothing? Why?

I’ve resumed my workout routine since my gym reopened seven weeks ago. I run on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 5.5-6.0 m/ph speed. That’s very intense for me. I have NOT been tracking my daily caloric intake and assume i am getting 1800-2200 calories per day. My target for a deficit is 1700.

But no results whatsoever???! That seems harsh given how invasive the running routine is in my life. My feet, legs etc ache and i’m physically tired. Nothing? Not even one pound?

Does exercise even matter then????

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Many reasons a start and continuing exercise cause extra water weight to be carried.

Besides the fact others mentioned about you have no idea if eating less to even cause fat loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited September 2020
    joowelz wrote: »
    I’ve resumed my workout routine since my gym reopened seven weeks ago. I run on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 5.5-6.0 m/ph speed. That’s very intense for me. I have NOT been tracking my daily caloric intake and assume i am getting 1800-2200 calories per day. My target for a deficit is 1700.

But no results whatsoever???! That seems harsh given how invasive the running routine is in my life. My feet, legs etc ache and i’m physically tired. Nothing? Not even one pound?

Does exercise even matter then????

Yes. It matters to fitness.

It can help with weight fat loss, but only if you are in a caloric deficit. If you had a choice between owning a food scale or a bathroom scale, pick the food scale. Once you get used to using one, it gets surprisingly easy to do. If you can make exercise a habit, you can make a food scale a habit.

Wishing you the best!

Excellent point - several measurements and visual will tell you what is happening on body - no one else is seeing your bathroom scale and weight unless you invite them in to see you weigh naked or you announce to them.

But the kitchen scale can sure effect those measurements and visual on the body.

Can get a body weight several places to use in MFP, doesn't need updated that often to change eating calories.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Agree with all on the measuring/tracking.
    To answer your question - exercise absolutely matters. It is important for your overall health and should increase your calories out.
    But you are likely overestimating those calories. I don’t know your starting stats but likely you’re burning about 275-300 cals with the running and losing some back to being more sedentary the rest of the day due to the soreness. Maybe consider doing less speed for longer time. That may help the soreness if you could spare the time.
    I also want to point out that if you are sore in your legs etc likely you are holding some extra water in those areas due to the exercise.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    joowelz wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for replying. I guess i am in denial about creating a calorie deficit being the only way to lose fat. Somehow i wanted the cardio to pay me back dividends on its own. My appetite is voracious lately. I dont want to curb my eating, thats why i have avoided weighing/logging food.

I find mild-to-moderate exercise to be an appetite SUPPRESSANT, but more vigorous exercise tends to INCREASE my appetite.

I get bored with indoor cardio so tend to do it outdoors, where activities like gardening and walking hold my interest for long stretches of time.

I exercise both outdoors (walking/hiking with the dogs) and indoors where I can read while on my treadmill or arc trainer. I cannot read on the summit climber (too strenuous) or the rower.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    You're not in a caloric deficit.

Yep. It's really that simple. If you're not losing weight, you're not in a calorie deficit. Two choices: eat less, exercise more, or both.