Think I messed up my metabolism or Cut

So I had started a meal plan to cut some fat... I thought I was eating about 1400 calories for 2 weeks and then about 1200 for another 2 weeks.

Ive lost weight for sure.... however as I was messing with MyFitnessPal i noticed today I didn't select COOKED jasmine rice. Just regular Jasmine rice. Ive been weighing my rice cooked so thats the gram amount i inputted into the app. Well turns out I was eating 1200 for the first two weeks, and then 1000 calories the third and fourth week..... which is A LOT lower than I had wanted to go.

I'm 5'2" about 113lbs and if I use a Macro calculator my "Cutting" calories should be about 1450. Can I go back to this calorie amount? I feel like if I do I'm going to gain weight now.

I screwed up. Has anyone else run into this?

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited October 2020
    Its not a big deal given the short term aspect - and considering its equally possible you made other errors (in the other direction) in logging calories as well.

If eating 1450 should have you at a deficit for weight loss, then eating 1200-1450 should not cause weight gain. That is not how a deficit works.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    You didn't mess up your metabolism or cut. What are you ultimately trying to cut to.
  • eldinax
    eldinax Posts: 6 Member
    Its not a big deal given the short term aspect - and considering its equally possible you made other errors (in the other direction) in logging calories as well.

If eating 1450 should have you at a deficit for weight loss, then eating 1200-1450 should not cause weight gain. That is not how a deficit works.

You got it flipped around, i was eat almost 1200-1000 calories a day for like 4 weeks. Now that I pinpointed my error i want to go back to 1450.
  • eldinax
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    You didn't mess up your metabolism or cut. What are you ultimately trying to cut to.

Im just doing a VERY minor cut. Im at 20.3% BF, and want it to be at 18%. But i didn't want to do an extreme cut but ultimately made the mistake of not triple checking my food tracking.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @eldinax You didn't gain a pound, correct. You'll be fine. Keep tooling along.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    As everyone else has said, you won't have messed up your metabolism.

What are you trying to achieve? You're the same height as me and almost the same weight - and I'm in maintenance. You're currently in the lower half of 'normal' BMI and therefore already a healthy weight. At your height and weight, you're probably not going to lose much in 4 weeks.

If you're trying to tone up, you may find it better switching to maintenance and doing strength training.

Where did you get 1450 from to start with/ how is that calculated? I'm only 3-5 pounds lighter (like everyone, my weight fluctuates a little, day-to-day) and my maintenance is 1340 (although I add exercise to that and eat those calories too).

Does your calculation factor in exercise and are you also eating your exercise calories?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Yes, go back to the 1450 you were originally shooting for.

Yes, you may gain a little bit or water weight when you adjust your calorie intake back up. Its just changes in water, a part of life.

It's doubtful you messed up your metabolism.
  • eldinax
    As everyone else has said, you won't have messed up your metabolism.

What are you trying to achieve? You're the same height as me and almost the same weight - and I'm in maintenance. You're currently in the lower half of 'normal' BMI and therefore already a healthy weight. At your height and weight, you're probably not going to lose much in 4 weeks.

If you're trying to tone up, you may find it better switching to maintenance and doing strength training.

Where did you get 1450 from to start with/ how is that calculated? I'm only 3-5 pounds lighter (like everyone, my weight fluctuates a little, day-to-day) and my maintenance is 1340 (although I add exercise to that and eat those calories too).

Does your calculation factor in exercise and are you also eating your exercise calories?

I calculated my Macros using the Legion Macro Calculator. Im 5'2" 113lbs, and 25 years old, and I workout 5-6x a week. My workouts are of moderate intensity. So based off of this calculator my maintenance is at 1850ish. My cut is about 1450. Thats where I got that number from.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    You can't mess up a metabolism; there's no such thing. As you lose weight, you burn less calories (approximately 5.5 calories less per pound lost). Beyond this "when you get smaller you burn less fuel" fact, any other changes to your daily caloric burn rate will be related to changes in your physical activity.

Eating X calories under or Y calories over for two weeks will not make any difference at all to how many calories you burn tomorrow, aside from the fact that, as noted above, if you've lost a couple of pounds in the past couple of weeks, you'll be burning around 11 calories per day less going forward.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You will be fine just start to add calories continuing on. Take it slow but keep in mind the scale can jump a bit due to extra food volume and water weight.

How quickly/ how much did you lose in those 4 weeks?
  • eldinax
    sardelsa wrote: »
    You will be fine just start to add calories continuing on. Take it slow but keep in mind the scale can jump a bit due to extra food volume and water weight.

Nothing crazy, was at 116 now at 113
  • Strudders67
    Ok, that makes sense, at least you're not exercising on top and not eating any calories to fuel it.

Back to question one - what are you trying to achieve? If you're trying to lose weight, how much are you trying to lose? If you're trying to tone up, there's forum on here where you'll find loads of helpful advice.
  • eldinax
    Ok, that makes sense, at least you're not exercising on top and not eating any calories to fuel it.

Back to question one - what are you trying to achieve? If you're trying to lose weight, how much are you trying to lose? If you're trying to tone up, there's forum on here where you'll find loads of helpful advice.

i'm trying to decrease my amount of body fat %, essentially i want to see all of my abs, not just the top 4 lol. what is the other forum?
  • Strudders67
    Have a read of this. There area few hundred pages so it may take a while -https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

There's also this forum, but I have no idea how active it is.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/771-women-strength-training

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    eldinax wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Nothing crazy, was at 116 now at 113

Ok then I wouldn't worry. That's less than 1lb lost per week. I wouldn't recommend that long term obviously with so little to lose but short term it's fine.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    1200 is the lowest a female should eat, to be able to get adequate nutrition. I answered that eating between 1200 and 1450 now should not make you gain weight. If 1450 has you at a deficit, then eating at that level will allow you to lose weight over time.
    eldinax wrote: »

You got it flipped around, i was eat almost 1200-1000 calories a day for like 4 weeks. Now that I pinpointed my error i want to go back to 1450.