New Year Resolution 3 Months In Advance - Maintain Weight

For many years, my weight has been fluctuating. Around my birthday, I get down to my ideal weight--125 lbs. at 5'7"--then as the holidays, birthdays, and work stress hits, I gradually put on 15 lbs. So I have been fluctuating between 125 to 140 lbs. for many years now. And I've decided firmly this week, to try to change that. I am in my 30s, and now more than ever I need find my happy place--physically, mentally, emotionally, and professionally--and try to maintain stability there.
I know I will get there, but I am sending this message out to universe to make it more real, so thank you for reading this.

Replies

• fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Best of luck with your goal! I tend to weight cycle also (but a way bigger fluctuation than yours) so I feel the struggle. I'm a month into maintenance and feeling great so far. Christmas will likely be the first big test for me. I am expecting a bit of holiday flux but am also committing to not going completely off the rails!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Yeah the Fall months are always my danger zone. Something about the colder weather and all the Fall foods and flavors that make me eat. A lot. Trying to break that annual cycle myself this year. Good luck with yours! Let us know how you do!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,784 Member
    This is my time to struggle also, We have my daughters birthday oct. 20, Halloween, one sons birthday Nov 8, and other Nov.12, Mine Nov,15, thanksgiving, my niece, nephew and dads birthdays in December, then Christmas, new years, and my moms Birthday in January, and my goal is to lose 10lbs in this time, lol.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,970 Member
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    This is my time to struggle also, We have my daughters birthday oct. 20, Halloween, one sons birthday Nov 8, and other Nov.12, Mine Nov,15, thanksgiving, my niece, nephew and dads birthdays in December, then Christmas, new years, and my moms Birthday in January, and my goal is to lose 10lbs in this time, lol.

Struggling is no fun!!
    I find the math helps! I can then come up with a workable plan based on MY GOALS & PREFERENCES.

4 months - 10lbs - 17 weeks
    35,000 cal deficit/ 17 weeks is 2,058 cals/week or 294 cal deficit per day.

So let’s say you eat 1,000 cals extra at each of the birthdays?? 8 birthdays 8,000 cals
    Halloween - Or you get something you’d love instead & skip the candy this year? Or just Eat 2 favorites? Or candy Only on Halloween? 500cals
    Thanksgiving - an extra 1,000
    Christmas - an extra ?? 1,000 + Xmas cookies 10x 250 = 2,500 3,500
    New Year’s - an extra 1,000

You get the idea...you assign the extra calories you’ll eat for each. Maybe the birthday is a slice of cake or you decide you’ll only have cake at your birthday and/or your mom’s etc. YOU are in control.

So that totals...
    8,000 surplus birthdays
    500 Halloween
    1,000 Thanksgiving
    3,500 Xmas
    1,000 New Year’s

An extra 14,000 calories or an extra 117 cals per day = 4 lb gain

294 (needed deficit per day) - 117 (birthdays & holiday surplus) = 177 net deficit /day

177x7 days a week x 17 weeks= 6 lbs loss by Feb 1.

Pretty good for all you have going on!

Or, if you can, up your daily deficit to 294+117 = 410 cals every day and follow the celebration plan &you’ll lose 10lbs by Feb 1.

NOTE: the deficit doesn’t have to come only from eating less...you could step up exercise for half of it & lose 10lbs in 4 months, with the holidays included, by having a 205 deficit.

Personally, I don’t go over at birthdays. I find they throw me off course for 2 days to 2 weeks...but that’s me. Sugary foods create cravings for me that scare me & are difficult to eliminate & get back on track.
    So I don’t do Halloween candy either.

That leaves Thanksgiving - where there are tons of delicious health foods.

Xmas - maybe just dinner - no cookies over the season

New Years

YOU get to decide your approach! Perhaps your goal is to Practice maintenance through Mom’s birthday & then lose Feb 1-June 1.