How to lose 4 pounds per week for 6 weeks?

Options

Replies

• ximenavictoriaxo
    ximenavictoriaxo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    No. Just. No. I can't even understand why you'd think this possible or worth it. You might be lucky in the first week or two to lose a lot of water weight but it will slow after that.

Thanks for your advice! 🙃
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    I don't believe you can lose 4 pounds a week. However, can you lose 6% body fat?

Let's do the maths. 6% of 191/2.2 = 5.2 kg (sorry Americans). That's a lot less. That's equal to 158,600 KJ or a deficit of 352 large apples. Or 129 hours of walking at 5.0 km/hr, or 53 hours of running at 7.5 km/hr. Or a combination of deficit and exercise.

So yes, I believe that it's possible to lose 6% of body fat. I would not have taken the bet because I am good at half-donkeying things but I admire your courage and I wish you well in your challenge.

Sorry: Your math isn’t right. 6% of current weight is not the same as 6% of body fat.
    Your calculation would only be right if the person was 100% fat.
    If the OP is 5’ then their healthy body weight is between 100 and 125 pounds ( I’m going to use 120). Let’s say a healthy body fat percentage is 25%. This translates into lean body mass of about 90 pounds (that’s 120 x 75%). So, their current body fat percentage is about 50% (190 pounds - 90 pounds of lean mass = 100 pounds of body fat divided by 190 pounds = 52%).
    To reduce 52% by 6, means body fat % after would be about 46%.
    Even if 100% of what is lost is fat, then the weight after weight loss would be about 165pounds (90 lean body mass divided by (1 - .46 target body mass)).

Before 100lbs fat/190 total = 52% body fat %
    After a 25 pound loss 75lbs fat/ 165 lb total = 46% body fat

This all translates into: for the original poster 25 pounds = a 6% body fat reduction (assuming no muscle is gained or lost during the 6 weeks — which is unlikely).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    I don't believe you can lose 4 pounds a week. However, can you lose 6% body fat?

Let's do the maths. 6% of 191/2.2 = 5.2 kg (sorry Americans). That's a lot less. That's equal to 158,600 KJ or a deficit of 352 large apples. Or 129 hours of walking at 5.0 km/hr, or 53 hours of running at 7.5 km/hr. Or a combination of deficit and exercise.

So yes, I believe that it's possible to lose 6% of body fat. I would not have taken the bet because I am good at half-donkeying things but I admire your courage and I wish you well in your challenge.

I think the 6% BF must be a misunderstanding on the part of the OP. No way outside of 2 DEXA scan tests could one tell if their BF dropped 6% (and even that test would be somewhat suspect).
  • ximenavictoriaxo
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I should have thought of that before weighing in, adding extra weights lmao they didn't pat me down or anything. I didn't think I was going to sign up for the challenge initially. I was just there to check out the gym, but also in the back of my mind I was really motivated to go back to the weight I was back in April of this year. I felt confident that i could drop the weight.

I am starting to workout everyday, 3 intense days (kickboxing), and those 4 days I try to go to the gym for at least 35 mins, 10 mins spent on cardio after using the weight machines. I literally forgot how to use many of the machines already, it's been years since I've gone back consistently. So I'm taking those 4 days steady as long as I can re-learn things, I hope that I can enjoy going to the gym everyday again. So far though, it's been great!

I'm not as sore as I thought I would be, I don't know if it's because I'm not training hard enough? I also didn't know I was supposed to drink a protein shake within 30 mins after my workout. So I've been doing that consistently and I'm assuming that is what's why I'm not that sore. This is what a normal day of food looks like for me (since the challenge):

bhebv6ofdq7n.png

I still find myself craving unhealthy food, but then I remind myself I spent $500 so it holds me accountable. C: I hope that by week 2 the cravings will subside, also doesn't help that the time of the month is only a few days away... I am anemic so I am also religiously taking my iron supplements. Thanks again for the advise~

Side note, I was curious what kind of scale they used for weight-ins. It's one of those regular scales that tells you more info other than just the weight. They just used a cheap $20 scale they found on Amazon. LOL, even my other gym has an actual physician scale which they'll let you use once a month. I went back and underestimated the body fat % reading I got (54% apparently), which now I think is still inaccurate. I mean, there's just no way I have 54% body fat. I'll take a picture next time to make sure I read this right, I can be dyslexic so maybe it was 45 and not 54?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Are you logging and eating back your exercise calories? You shouldn't be netting less than 1200 calories a day.
  • ximenavictoriaxo
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Are you logging and eating back your exercise calories? You shouldn't be netting less than 1200 calories a day.

I try to wear my apple watch to account for any activity I do throughout the day. I try to meet the 1200 goal, but somedays I don't meet that as I usually don't eat food after 8PM.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You're trying to get back to the weight you were in April - that's 5 or 6 months ago. Sure, you can lose that weight, but you didn't put it on in 6 weeks and you're not going to lose it in 6 weeks unless you do something very unhealthy like starve yourself.

Are you sure your Apple watch is synching? With the exercise you've described, I don't believe you only earned 19 calories. And it really doesn't look like you're eating your exercise calories if you've only eaten just over 1000 cals.

I'd be looking for a legal or medical way out of this challenge, as suggested above, and also a new gym. Then you can stick to logging on MFP and just lose weight slowly and sensibly. If you do stick with it, please do keep updating on this thread, even if it's just weekly, to show how you're getting on as this may be a useful post to point others to in the future.
  • ximenavictoriaxo
    Options

I try to wear my apple watch to account for any activity I do throughout the day. I try to meet the 1200 goal, but somedays I don't meet that as I usually don't eat food after 8PM.

You do realize nothing about the program is healthy, and it's not the best idea to continue?

I’m aware, I’m now following MFP’s plan of 2 lbs per week. That’s why it put me on the 1200 calorie plan. I still like to have some type of accountability, so I’m still doing the challenge which would require that I attend kickboxing classes 3 times per week.
  • Ange34
    Ange34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also your body size and came on here looking to jump start my weight loss to give me better motivation to keep it up. This isolating during the pandemic allowed me to "take a break" and I've ended up gaining 20 lbs on top of the already up weight I was in January. I think we all know that losing weight fast is not a permanent solution but I also feel like starting a challenge like that is a good mood lifter when you do see fast results. I too am going to be going on restricted/shake type diet starting October 13 and so am doing my research now to get me started. I wish you good luck and hope you can win your money/challenge and then move onto a more realistic plan for life. Take care and if I find anything that works for me then I will share.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    So, if the primary goal is weight loss, the weight lifting isn’t going to do much in regards to that.

Also you are eating too few calories. 1200 is the MINIMUM. And unless you have over 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. You are setting yourself up for failure and ignoring the sound advice others are trying to give you.