75+: Physical, Mental & Emotional Health

Options
Are there already people in a group out there in this general category

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP forums @tacgonow. While @AnnPT77 is in her 60s she may have some thread suggestions for you.
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Man, I dunno.

There's these nice people: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10718336/60-yrs-and-up

*snip*

⬆️ YES! That one...I was searching and not using the right terms (I put 65, for example). It's great that it's so active too. I can't wait to be allowed in there!!!

Thanks for answering the call, Ann!

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @tacgonow You'll find inspiring people of all ages that have found their pathway to overall health and wellbeing. Others are working on it. There's no such thing as the Finish Line.

We can't believe everything our mind thinks especially when it comes to age. There are some real fighters here and they refuse to let age define them. ^^^ Sometimes, I just have to tell my brain to shut UP but my mouth keeps talking.
    Oy vey.

@tacgonow Connection matters. Jump on in because the water is fine. It's good medicine to just mill around and shoot the breeze, sharing matters of the heart. <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say my 82 year old mother is my inspiration!

She is very very active - she has extensive vegetable and flower gardens, does a lot of work on her sprawling, 250+ year old house, walks, practices yoga, swims in season, and pre-coronavirus worked out twice per week with a trainer.

"Use it or lose it" is an important consideration as we age. My OH's mother ended up in a nursing home because she could no longer get on and off the toilet unassisted. Among other contributing factors, she had one of those recliners that lift you up, which I now think did her a disservice.

If my mother ends up in a nursing home, it won't be from lack of muscle tone in her legs, it will be from falling off a ladder while cleaning gutters (which I have begged her not to do) >.<

Her vision is going, and we plan to move in with her in the next few years, which will put me in a much better position to intervene in the gutter situation. (She is slowly getting that Gutter Guard stuff installed, but there are a lot of gutters, and she's cheap.)
  • tacgonow
    tacgonow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for feedback and info........ I'm checking out the 60 yrs and up group.....I guess I just wanted to know what other 'oldsters' are doing.....to take care of themselves. And since I'm REALLY 60+++ I thought there had to be an 'older' group....

I am almost 79 yrs old......I had breast cancer surgery May 1, but after much deliberation....decided against radiation and chemo.......my quality of life is too precious to me.....docs said I could die in 6 months or 15 years because they didn't know if the cancer had spread.....

I said.....at least I'll do it my way.....so whenever/whatever!!!! So far....so good!!

Decided to just start intentional walking, after years of dancing around the issue because of both knees being bone on bone, and pins in knees ....I think I just used it as an excuse....

Since May 20....I have walked 230+ days in a row and over 230+ miles/600,000+ steps. I'm almost afraid to miss a day....for fear I'll give up......and I'd feel guilty for letting myself down.

Hopefully I will be encouragement to someone out there ..... I'm trying....

Thanks.
  • tacgonow
    tacgonow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    BTW.....all this using a walker.....lollll
  • MaltedTea
    Options
    tacgonow wrote: »
    BTW.....all this using a walker.....lollll

Cool! Assuming you haven't "met" already, you and @HeidiCooksSupper may want to trade tips!