Tried carnivore?

Options

Replies

• martianvalkyrie
    martianvalkyrie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're having good results, I'd just like to point out that it's very common for people to report great results after one month on all types of diets and some of these results can't realistically be accomplished with one month of a dietary change, no matter how great it is (your hair, for example, doesn't grow enough in a month to allow you to attribute a "healthier look" to this dietary change).

Fair enough. Hopefully I can report back in later on with continued positive results.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    How is it supposed to relieve depression? As someone who suffered it for years, I'm curious, albeit skeptical.

...ok. I've just answered my own question. I urge anyone interested in it to read this sensible article

https://medium.com/@pkslater/why-the-carnivore-diet-works-and-it-also-might-kill-you-c14ac468cb33
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Basically, I asked if people had tried this diet and what it was like for them. I did not, however, ask for people's opinions on a diet they had never tried nor diet advice.

I feel carnivore would be a sustainable diet choice for myself as I am looking to reduce inflammation and depression as well as lose some weight while retaining muscle.

Diets high in carbohydrate do not work for me as I am always left feeling hungry and bloated with low energy. High protein worked for me but I was again always hungry even when consuming 1500+ calories a day.

Thank you to those whom have left helpful comments.

Good for you for willing to try it , really silly so many people bash on keto/carnivore diet without trying themselves. It might not be a good diet for people who just want to lose weight but definitely worth trying to help with certain medical condition with help of doctor if possible. I have not done carnivore but just keto, it really helped me reduce hunger, inflammation, headaches However, I do find it is a bit hard to stick to and gave me constipation, so after a while, I slowly added a bit more carb, by experiment, I found my carb tolerance, now I am on a low carb diet that is very sustainable for me.
    I would say definitely gave carnivore diet a try, then if you want to you can try adding a bit of other food one at a time and see if they causes any problem, and find out the best diet for you.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Honest Question: What is the environmental impact of this sort of diet?

Also, it seems like the sort of diet you could only pursue if you live in a developed economy.

There was a study published in 2017 about how much impact different choices have on the environment. I'm sure you can find it. Diet does have an impact, but not as much as a lot of other choices. The very worst choice in terms of environmental impact is to have a child. In fact, the 2nd worst choice has a tiny effect by comparison.

ETA: Study https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

For the record, I am childfree, I recycle, I drive a hybrid, and rarely travel by plane.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I read the thread title as "TIRED carnivore". Totally different concept... ;)
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Honest Question: What is the environmental impact of this sort of diet?

Also, it seems like the sort of diet you could only pursue if you live in a developed economy.

There was a study published in 2017 about how much impact different choices have on the environment. I'm sure you can find it. Diet does have an impact, but not as much as a lot of other choices. The very worst choice in terms of environmental impact is to have a child. In fact, the 2nd worst choice has a tiny effect by comparison.

ETA: Study https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/aa7541

For the record, I am childfree, I recycle, I drive a hybrid, and rarely travel by plane.

Thank you; I was aware that children had the biggest impact by far.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Basically, I asked if people had tried this diet and what it was like for them. I did not, however, ask for people's opinions on a diet they had never tried nor diet advice.

I feel carnivore would be a sustainable diet choice for myself as I am looking to reduce inflammation and depression as well as lose some weight while retaining muscle.

Diets high in carbohydrate do not work for me as I am always left feeling hungry and bloated with low energy. High protein worked for me but I was again always hungry even when consuming 1500+ calories a day.

Thank you to those whom have left helpful comments.

Good for you for willing to try it , really silly so many people bash on keto/carnivore diet without trying themselves. It might not be a good diet for people who just want to lose weight but definitely worth trying to help with certain medical condition with help of doctor if possible. I have not done carnivore but just keto, it really helped me reduce hunger, inflammation, headaches However, I do find it is a bit hard to stick to and gave me constipation, so after a while, I slowly added a bit more carb, by experiment, I found my carb tolerance, now I am on a low carb diet that is very sustainable for me.
    I would say definitely gave carnivore diet a try, then if you want to you can try adding a bit of other food one at a time and see if they causes any problem, and find out the best diet for you.

I do think that people should keep their criticism fact-based and fair, but I don't think that one has to personally try to a diet in order to evaluate the claims made by advocates for it. We can look at the claims made for plant-free diets and compare them to the available evidence (which includes anecdotal reports made by those who have tried the diet, but ideally would go beyond that into things like nutritional studies and known facts about human nutritional needs).

If someone makes a claim that a plant-free diet of one month has produced meaningful and quantifiable changes in the health and appearance of one's hair, I don't need to give it a go myself in order to justify my skepticism.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    So many negative comments from people haven’t tried or researched this diet. LOL. I’ve been on a strict carnivore diet for nearly a month. So far, I lost 20.2 lbs. My pores have tightened up and I lost several skin tags. My hair has gotten very shiny and healthy looking. I haven’t felt depression. I have more energy to keep up with my child, and I don’t feel like I need to sleep as much. My teeth feel cleaner. I can fast for 24 hours without feeling hunger. I also no longer feel inflammation in my legs and feet. Someone earlier mentioned counting calories; I don’t do that. I have been eating steaks, burger patties, bacon, eggs, liver, cheese, and pork rinds as much as I want. I feel better than I have in years. I did have diarrhea for the first week, but that is normal for me since I no longer have a gallbladder. Now I go to the bathroom way less and it’s fine. The first couple of days were rough, but once I got past that it’s been pretty easy. Is it sustainable? No clue. I’m still going to continue as long as I see positive results.

So basically, if you've lost 20lbs in a month then you've eaten under your maintenance calories by 2300 calories each day.
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    No...I live a healthy lifestyle.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    So many negative comments from people haven’t tried or researched this diet. LOL. I’ve been on a strict carnivore diet for nearly a month. So far, I lost 20.2 lbs. My pores have tightened up and I lost several skin tags. My hair has gotten very shiny and healthy looking. I haven’t felt depression. I have more energy to keep up with my child, and I don’t feel like I need to sleep as much. My teeth feel cleaner. I can fast for 24 hours without feeling hunger. I also no longer feel inflammation in my legs and feet. Someone earlier mentioned counting calories; I don’t do that. I have been eating steaks, burger patties, bacon, eggs, liver, cheese, and pork rinds as much as I want. I feel better than I have in years. I did have diarrhea for the first week, but that is normal for me since I no longer have a gallbladder. Now I go to the bathroom way less and it’s fine. The first couple of days were rough, but once I got past that it’s been pretty easy. Is it sustainable? No clue. I’m still going to continue as long as I see positive results.

So basically, if you've lost 20lbs in a month then you've eaten under your maintenance calories by 2300 calories each day.

Or, a good chunk of the weight lost was not body fat. It is possible to lose 20lb at the first month of a carb-restriction diet, but much of that would be water.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Dante_80 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Or, a good chunk of the weight lost was not body fat. It is possible to lose 20lb at the first month of a carb-restriction diet, but much of that would be water.

It's very likely. Dante didn't say how heavy they were, but if we assume 5lbs or even 10lbs waterweight, then they are still running a massive deficit.