How to lose 4 pounds per week for 6 weeks?

Options

Replies

• ximenavictoriaxo
    ximenavictoriaxo Posts: 113 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    So, if the primary goal is weight loss, the weight lifting isn’t going to do much in regards to that.

Also you are eating too few calories. 1200 is the MINIMUM. And unless you have over 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. You are setting yourself up for failure and ignoring the sound advice others are trying to give you.

For me to be at a healthy weight I need to be at a minimum 120lbs. I’m 5’0” and currently weight 185lbs. I will take this challenge as a kickstart and plan on losing 2 pounds per week at least. Once this challenge is over I’ll be setting it back to .5 pound a week, if I get more then that’s great too.

Also, I absolutely hate cardio, unless its fun 😭 A lot of the cardio I get is from conditioning like burpees, mountain climbers, jump squats, etc. That’s usually from kickboxing conditioning.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I’ll look at it as paying $27 per kickboxing class, cheaper than SoulCycle. This way I try to justify my impulse buy for this unrealistic challenge. I’m really glad I didn’t sign up for the membership when they first offered it, but I really do enjoy the classes. I’m still definitely motivated and I’m still committed to this challenge as I want to create healthier habits. I appreciate the thorough response, I definitely need to do more research as I was a bit lost at your calculations but it’s really interesting! Thank you guys for your support!

You have to pay for the classes ON TOP of the $500?!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I’ll look at it as paying $27 per kickboxing class, cheaper than SoulCycle. This way I try to justify my impulse buy for this unrealistic challenge. I’m really glad I didn’t sign up for the membership when they first offered it, but I really do enjoy the classes. I’m still definitely motivated and I’m still committed to this challenge as I want to create healthier habits. I appreciate the thorough response, I definitely need to do more research as I was a bit lost at your calculations but it’s really interesting! Thank you guys for your support!

You have to pay for the classes ON TOP of the $500?!

If you put down the $500 deposit, and the classes are $27 a piece 3 days a week for 6 weeks. Isn't the challenge in total costing almost $1,000? If you know the challenge is unrealstic, but like the classes why not try to get your money back, and continue with the classes?
  • Wanderwoman2021
    Wanderwoman2021 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck , I’d just try to eat a more balanced diet and less sugar and carbs, drink more water and consider eating more calories.
    I’ve been there and done that with most diets and most recommend 1200 calories but it was only when I ate 1800 that I lost weight and fast.

Low carb full fat zero sugar 1800 calories (everyone is different with calories and what works for them) and I lost a pound a day for the first 2 weeks then 1-3lbs a week after with no exercise 👍
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As much as you hate doing boring cardio, I wouldn't recommend doing things like burpees or jump squats or kickboxin. Unless you have already been doing burpees and jump squats on a regular basis, you will more than likely get an injury at some point and derail your weight loss. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c2onhR4pXY as an example.
    Jumping and landing on your feet with 190 lbs is a lot of stress to put on your joints.

Everyone starts off a diet extremely motivated and determined, especially when they have something invested. The first week most people will see water weight come off and be extremely motivated, but when week 2 rolls around and the numbers stop moving, the motivation quickly disappears.

Also at 1200 calories, hunger pangs probably just get stronger and stronger after 1-2 weeks, and almost unbearable by week 3, and you will be craving a whole lot more than junk food.

My recommendation is figure out how much your eating today and start cutting some of it out. I wouldn't drink protein shakes as you should get plenty of protein from your foods anyways. Cutting out things like dessert or high calories sauces is a good way to start. Reducing your portion size by a few bites is another good way to start. If you can't eat your food without sauce then your probably not hungry. When you are hungry, even the most bland food taste good. Going guard rail to guard rail from what you normally eat to a clean 1200 calorie including shakes doesn't yield a high chance of success.

Also find steady state cardio that has low risk of injury like walking, treadmill, biking or elliptical that you can do every day. True it may take more time than high intensity cardio, but if your not having to take days off and not getting injured, it will work out better in the long run. Also you can always wake up earlier if your that motivated to lose the weight. Don't push your self when you start off to the point where you can't move, but do push your self. Again, not getting injured and giving your self an excuse or having doctors tell you that you need to take a break if very important. This is a life style change, not just a 6 week deal to get your money back.

I would skip the time on weights as that isn't going to burn many calories. If you want to get stronger, you can just do basics like body squats, push ups and things like that at home. Don't need to waste time going to gym. But do the strength after you do your cardio since your goal is to lose weight. You can always do push up or squats at home before you shower if your not completely exhausted from your cardio. And if your not completely exhausted, maybe you could push your self a little harder on the cardio the next day. Just understand that you can get to 120 lbs by just dieting and doing basic steady state cardio, just probably not in the time frame you want. But the satisfaction of seeing steady weight loss and not having to quit eating and giving up your social life will be worth far more than 500 dollars.

And I won't say good luck as you don't need luck to reach your ideal weight. You just need to be determined.

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Also I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I disagree with the whole notion of threatening the business over this. Yes, they are promoting unhealthy practices & ripping people off, but caveat emptor. Pretty sure everyone has heard "the house always wins." While it's definitely "bad behavior," the gym didn't do anything illegal; if there were any documents signed when enlisting for this challenge, I'm leaning toward believing somewhere in the fine print is a "consult your doctor prior to beginning any diet or exercise" line too. It sucks, but nobody was forced to sign up for this & personal responsibility for choices made yadda yadda yadda. Just my $0.02.

Both sides are betting against each other. The gym is betting the customer can't do it, the customer is betting they can get the gym to work for free.

I'm now looking at my weight loss goals and considering betting on myself. Maybe if I hit a certain weight loss by a certain date, I'll buy myself something nice. If I don't... the money will go to savings. A bit less destructive.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    So, if the primary goal is weight loss, the weight lifting isn’t going to do much in regards to that.

Also you are eating too few calories. 1200 is the MINIMUM. And unless you have over 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. You are setting yourself up for failure and ignoring the sound advice others are trying to give you.

For me to be at a healthy weight I need to be at a minimum 120lbs. I’m 5’0” and currently weight 185lbs. I will take this challenge as a kickstart and plan on losing 2 pounds per week at least. Once this challenge is over I’ll be setting it back to .5 pound a week, if I get more then that’s great too.

Also, I absolutely hate cardio, unless its fun 😭 A lot of the cardio I get is from conditioning like burpees, mountain climbers, jump squats, etc. That’s usually from kickboxing conditioning.

Rely less on BMI. It’s a flawed system that has a place but shouldn’t be the end all be all of determining ones health. Look into waist to height ratio. Personally, I use them both as a guideline. By BMI standards I’m overweight, but by waist to height I’m at a healthy weight. I still want to lose between 4-6 pounds but if for some reason everything stopped right here, I would be happy with the 26 pounds I’ve lost over 8 months. I’m 5’1 and I understand the struggle of being short and seeing such a teeny number being put in your face as an end all be all of a healthy weight. But talk to a professional. Ask your doctor for a recommendation to someone who specializes in healthy, sustainable weight loss.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNQ8ZKq9QQo
    Ashley lost 6%, Zach lost 9% and Claire lost 7.7%, all in 6 weeks. OP has to lose 6%. I still believe it's doable.
  • MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    This isn't a healthy way to lose weight.

Can you please explain how this $500 challenge works? You get a refund if you make it, but lose it if you don't? Is this a commercial "service?" A bet between friends? So best case scenario is you win $0, worst case scenario is you lose $500. I don't understand what your motivation is for doing this. It seems like a scam. Somebody explain this to me.

It sounds like one of the weight loss betting sites like dietbet.com or healthywage.com . Unfortunately, while one is not required to enter into a "if I succeed I get nothing, and if I fail, I lose $$$" to use those sites, many people do approach it that way.

Seems rather predatory. Especially this particular case of it.

I edited my post b/c my wife pointed out that there is a handful of people who do get a payoff greater than their initial investment. However, there's not many of them, the payouts are stingy given the risk, and I do agree the whole thing is predatory.

It's good if you do it responsibly. DietBet is 4% weight loss in 4 weeks, or 1% per week (ex: 2 lbs/week). I have won every Diet Bet I did but never more than like $10 profit per bet.

I made $630 with Healthy Wage, of which $350 of which pure profit, by losing 75 lbs in 18 months and betting $10 month (so I paid $10 a month for 18 months). My bet was initially $10 a month for a year, but I ended up not wasting time, not getting started until 6 months in, and "bought" more time (your payout stays the same, but your profit percentages go down cause I paid $180 in the end instead of $120).

The problem with Healthy Wage is people either bet too much per month, go too aggressive, or both.
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't know. :D