Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    I hope you will all forgive my indulgence.
    After 90 days of calorie counting, exercising and making healthier food choices I am really, really happy to see this graph looking like this.
    I am closing in on the 300 lbs barrier, it is a weight that I haven't seen in well over a decade!
    ds1ad3nwp286.png

Not an indulgence at all.... it’s a celebration!!
    😲🎉👍
  • jm216
    wc2k15ibwg3d.jpeg
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You could try variations on the recipe to use peanut butter powder (like PB2 or PBFit - there are others) or defatted peanut flour. For sure, the recipe would likely require other changes because for most things, cutting fat content by a lot would make quite a difference. Since you don't mention what general thing the recipe is (baked goods, BBQ sauce or dip, etc.) I won't try to guess what changes might be needed.

Its a Thai dish with peanut butter, chicken, peppers and coconut milk. I ended up just using a lot less peanut butter and it wasnt too bad but still open to ideas of how to get that peanut flavor without too much fat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    hap2go wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You could try variations on the recipe to use peanut butter powder (like PB2 or PBFit - there are others) or defatted peanut flour. For sure, the recipe would likely require other changes because for most things, cutting fat content by a lot would make quite a difference. Since you don't mention what general thing the recipe is (baked goods, BBQ sauce or dip, etc.) I won't try to guess what changes might be needed.

Its a Thai dish with peanut butter, chicken, peppers and coconut milk. I ended up just using a lot less peanut butter and it wasnt too bad but still open to ideas of how to get that peanut flavor without too much fat.

I regularly use PB2 to make a peanut sauce for stir-fry veggies & edamame noodles, with a bit of chile paste, rice vinegar, and other random seasonings depending on mood (minced garlic, chopped green onions, cilantro or whatever).

I'd say try the peanut butter powder in your recipe, just mix it to smooth consistency with a liquid (maybe the coconut milk?) before combining it with other ingredients that will make mixing more difficult. Some brands have a bit of added sugar (not much), but you might find you need to adjust other sweetening ingredients for taste. The powder is not as strongly flavored as peanut butter, but it should add peanut flavor (and some protein) to your dish.

It looks like you're in the US. Here (middle of Michigan, not a huge city) pretty much every grocery store seems to carry some brand, usually near the peanut butter. I've seen it at Kroger, Meijer (I think they're regional), Costco, and I believe Walmart. One can also find it easily online from the big grocery chains with an online ordering presence, and Amazon.

IMO, it is *not* a good spread, just rehydrated with water. But it's a useful thing to add some peanut flavor to things like sauces, smoothies, desserts, etc.
  • Good Morning! I'm 53, 350.4 lbs and 5'10". I have a torn miniscus in my left knee and underlying osteoarthritis in both. So glad to find a thread in my age group. I really need to lose some weight to help my knee situation. Are any of you going thru something similar and if so what kind of exercises do you do? Right now I'm just using a pedaler as a bike and doing some PT, but it seems I get pushed a little further then my knees get "angry" and my fear holds me back until they decide to forgive me and feel better, lol.
  • cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    Good Morning! I'm 53, 350.4 lbs and 5'10". I have a torn miniscus in my left knee and underlying osteoarthritis in both. So glad to find a thread in my age group. I really need to lose some weight to help my knee situation. Are any of you going thru something similar and if so what kind of exercises do you do? Right now I'm just using a pedaler as a bike and doing some PT, but it seems I get pushed a little further then my knees get "angry" and my fear holds me back until they decide to forgive me and feel better, lol.

Hi S.B.S.
    I am 56 and started out at 353 lbs. I have an artificial hip and arthritis in both knees.
    First things first, welcome to the group.
    The main thing to remember about losing weight is that you cannot outrun (or outpedal) a bad diet.
    Losing weight is a good 80% or more about what you eat. It is, in effect, calories in Vs calories out.
    Exercise is about fitness and mobility etc.
    If you are not sure where the diet is going wrong then just eat normally for a week and log everything you eat and drink. This will show you exactly where things need to change.
    If you know where your bad habits, food choices etc are then start by changing a couple to see how things go.
    We didn't get to be this overweight overnight and we will not shift it that way either!
  • hap2go
    hap2go Posts: 105 Member
    ^ shes very right. Weight is so much a function of diet. Are you doing any kind of food tracking? I've not drastically changed my diet but let me tell you, having to write down each thing I put in my mouth really makes me think about what I'm eating.

However, exercise is just good for you all around. Pool activity is a classic for those with joint problems. Do you have any kind of access to a pool? (I know this time of year outside isnt happening in the northern hemisphere and inside YMCA etc might be closed/questionable due to covid)
  • Thank you for the welcome! I started a few years back at 389.9 and got to 321 but have yo-yoed since. I do CI/CO at 1600 but usually try to hit lower. I log here on MFP, but I do admit, sometimes life takes over and I fall short at times. I work in a medical office so I'm on my feet a lot, but not many steps. I am doing PT but a few times I have had a few instances that as I progress, the progression really aggravates my knee and I take a break until it calms down because I'm afraid of the intense pain I had before seeking treatment. Not to mention my office is pretty fast paced and I know I'm slower and I'm in fear of more of an injury I could lose my job.
    I do not have pool access yet, but I may have in the near future, my ortho just put in a referral at a fitness center.
  • jm216
    Good Morning! I'm 53, 350.4 lbs and 5'10". I have a torn miniscus in my left knee and underlying osteoarthritis in both. So glad to find a thread in my age group. I really need to lose some weight to help my knee situation. Are any of you going thru something similar and if so what kind of exercises do you do? Right now I'm just using a pedaler as a bike and doing some PT, but it seems I get pushed a little further then my knees get "angry" and my fear holds me back until they decide to forgive me and feel better, lol.

Like our friends mentioned earlier, it’s mostly about staying within your calorie range and exercise is a bonus. Be kind to your knees and exercise them, but don’t overwork them.
    Walking is my favorite form of low impact exercising.

Welcome to the group!

Jill
  • jm216
    Highlights from today’s walk around the neighborhood. 1 mile with my best walking buddy and beautiful fall trees.
    Happy Wednesday!!zr318l7cpw2c.jpeg
    z3i6n29tkam2.jpeg
    ot56qvec2j7e.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Thank you for the welcome! I started a few years back at 389.9 and got to 321 but have yo-yoed since. I do CI/CO at 1600 but usually try to hit lower. I log here on MFP, but I do admit, sometimes life takes over and I fall short at times. I work in a medical office so I'm on my feet a lot, but not many steps. I am doing PT but a few times I have had a few instances that as I progress, the progression really aggravates my knee and I take a break until it calms down because I'm afraid of the intense pain I had before seeking treatment. Not to mention my office is pretty fast paced and I know I'm slower and I'm in fear of more of an injury I could lose my job.
    I do not have pool access yet, but I may have in the near future, my ortho just put in a referral at a fitness center.

Hi, there! I'm post weight loss now (in maintenance) but pop in here occasionally as an age-grouper. I started out at a little lower weight (but obese) and much shorter than you, but with torn meniscus in at least one knee (suspect the other, but it wasn't imaged) and osteoarthritis in both.

A few thoughts from that perspective:

It's great that you're doing PT - that helped me a lot. One thing my PT helped me with was improving my movement patterns in ways that reduced strain on my knees when walking and (especially) climbing stairs (in addition to giving exercises to strengthen or stretch body parts that needed it, to improve). Also, have you talked with your PT about whether any kind of wrap or bracing might help you with stability or pain reduction in the exercise context, as a temporary thing?

Every individual case is different, so I think it might be individual which exercises hurt and help. I agree that pool exercises are usually good. For me, walking was not a good idea, as I found that impact and torque/twisting on my knees were the things that increased pain. Instead, I found that things that required leg strength, but that involved only straight-line hinging motions of my knees, were the best for me to do. So, I settled in on rowing (on water and machine) and cycling (stationery and road/trail) as things that worked well for me. Things like aerobics and martial arts were pretty disastrous, for me, in addition to high-volume walking (let alone jogging/running).

For me, a thing that helped along the way was using ice after the more strenuous/lengthy exercise (I kept one of those gel packs with a velcro strap in the freezer, and would apply it for 20 minutes or so after exercising, whether there was significant pain at that moment or not). At other times, I would use a moist heat pad, usually not right on the knee but on muscles that felt tight and might be stressing it. (Self massage and foam rolling also helped with that sort of thing.) Your PT would perhaps have insights about whether you could do things like this, or not.

I don't know if you're having pain that interferes with sleep. If so, I found that experimenting with pillows under or between knees helped me find positions that were more restful, less likely to cause discomfort.

The other thing I wanted to say that weight loss alone made a huge, huge improvement for me in discomfort/pain frequency and severity. Now, after a period of time at goal weight (and still focused on the less stressful-to-me forms of exercise), it's a very negligible factor in my life. I had been told I might need scope-type surgery to clean up the joints, and would need knee replacements eventually, but at this stage (now age 64 and about 5 years at a healthy weight), I feel like I've pushed that need far into the future. Even the first 20-25 pounds made a noticeable improvement in average pain level and frequency.

As others have said, the weight loss is pretty much all about calorie intake. I wouldn't encourage you to eat way below a sensible routine calorie goal to go faster, because that can backfire (binges, fatigue/weakness, other effects of the physical stress from a large deficit - you want to keep your metabolism in a state that will foster healing). Learning and practicing ways to stay right around calorie goal, including strategies for handling times when life gets busy or stressful, are really very powerful

Wishing you all the best!

• Thank you all for your advice. It is great to know that that there is a lot of improvement expected with weight loss. I have always been bigger and very active and have studied martial arts, but this is was a blow. I will need to keep a closer eye on the calories. Thanks agin for all your support!
  • cpnknight
    At 10:00 BST tomorrow morning I shall be slipping the moorings for a weekend on the boat.....Bliss!
  • cpnknight
    At 10:00 BST tomorrow morning I shall be slipping the moorings for a weekend on the boat.....Bliss!

No logging of food for two days and scales day will be Monday for me....
    Have fun people.....I will!
  • cpnknight
    A bit gutted that my boat time was cut short in the early hours. It does mean that scales day can go ahead as normal though....

It's Scales Day!
    I have let the Scaley Beast out of its corner and it appears that the fat boy is now within 1 stone of the first milestone.

Weight was 314.4.....Now 312.2.....A loss of 2.2 lbs
  • jm216
    A bit gutted that my boat time was cut short in the early hours. It does mean that scales day can go ahead as normal though....

It's Scales Day!
    I have let the Scaley Beast out of its corner and it appears that the fat boy is now within 1 stone of the first milestone.

Sorry that your boat time was cut short, but congratulations on your loss!!
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    I'm just back from a mini getaway --- postponing weigh in until Monday morning. The relaxing, beautiful time away was wonderful for the mind and soul, but I'm sure the body(improvement) took a hit. I was mindful but didn't deny myself; I could have (and would have in the past) done much worse, so maybe it won't be too much of a climb.
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member

It's Scales Day!

Nicely done!!
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5
    9/13-212.0
    9/20-213.2
    9/27-212.9
    10/4-211.4
    10/11-212.3

Up .9 pounds for the week. Snacking but not tracking was the culprit. I’ve been getting lazy about not tracking everything and it shows... but the difference from past performances is that I won’t let myself get completely off the rails. This was just a small detour.

I’ve seen glimpses of 210 recently, and my mini goal is to get back there and stay there for awhile and become friends with 210. For some strange reason, once I hit 210, I start to self-sabotage...but not this time... this time we’re going to be buddies.

🥰Jill
  • jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    I'm just back from a mini getaway --- postponing weigh in until Monday morning. The relaxing, beautiful time away was wonderful for the mind and soul, but I'm sure the body(improvement) took a hit. I was mindful but didn't deny myself; I could have (and would have in the past) done much worse, so maybe it won't be too much of a climb.

Glad you had a fun getaway! 🥰