DO NOT READ IF YOU LIKE SKINNY COW

Options

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know about you and others, but I can eat 1 skinny cow cheese portion with a apple and a whole wheat slice of toast and I am good to go.

Are you getting Skinny Cow and Laughing Cow confused?

haha, I read the entire article thinking about Laughing Cow cheese.
    I don't even know what Skinny Cow is. :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I had a feeling this would happen...getting attacked...that is why the title of this thread is what it is..
    I did not write the article...do I eat this product? no...I just have seen so many threads talking of this stuff and how people love it..I did a 10 second search and the article popped up

give me a break
    Dave

Dude, no one attacked you, especially on a personal level. Whatever, Dave. Put on your big boy pants & suck it up. Perhaps a dose of your own medicine tastes a little bitter?

OMG Beannie...you're only 4 lbs from your GOAL.....you ROCK CHICKIE!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :bigsmile: Way to go... YAY for you Sara:happy:
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    i get the post, but I think it's okay. I allow myself one "dessert" a day - a Skinny Cow or a sugar-free pudding...just to get my chocolate fix. :)

If you're trying to eat Skinny Cow or anything else as a meal...no, that's not going to work. Or even if you have it as every between-meal snack. But, IMO, it's perfectly okay to have it as a dessert at the end of the day.

Today, I had something different...soooo good. Cinnamon nutrigrain waffles with sugar-free strawberry jelly. Yum!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Dave I'm not attacking you. :heart:
    I just think it's important for people to be okay with eating nutritionally void food every once in a while. Moderation applies to everything, nutritious or not. Every food has a redeemable quality. Ice cream is low GI and has calcium and some protein. Yes, it has saturated fat, but that's actually an important part of the diet and we need it. Potato chips contain complex carbohydrates and the fat makes them lower GI than a plain old baked potato. Artificial sugars are almost calorically free and don't cause an insulogenic reaction in diabetics. Sure, when we feed rats the equivalent of litres of aspartame a day, they have health problems. But that is not moderation. In excess, anything is bad for you--and some vitamins will kill you if you have too many.
    We all appreciate differing points of view and, to me anyway, it's part of what makes this forum so interesting. I love debating this stuff but I never mean it as an attack. :smooched:

Just to start another debate......... with in a debate.......... :laugh: :laugh:

Artificial sweetners do cause a spike in insulin in a lot of diabetics..............

I am one of those people. Actually, I thought something was wrong with me and asked my endocrinologist and he said it is common even with people that are not diabetic to have an insulin response with artificial sweetners.............A person's body can metabolize it the same as regular table sugar..........

I am one to stay away from artificial sweetners, aspartame, splenda, etc............I get a insulin response.

I can have agave nectar and stevia and raw honey, but all 3 of those are natural.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Well, I don't know about you and others, but I can eat 1 skinny cow cheese portion with a apple and a whole wheat slice of toast and I am good to go.

Are you getting Skinny Cow and Laughing Cow confused?

haha, I read the entire article thinking about Laughing Cow cheese.
    I don't even know what Skinny Cow is. :laugh:
    it's in the icecream section at your local grocery store:wink:

http://www.skinnycow.com/

hm, so they do have truffle bars...never seen those...only had the fudge bars and the sandwich ones...(with no laughing cow cheese though!:sick: )
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    i get the post, but I think it's okay. I allow myself one "dessert" a day - a Skinny Cow or a sugar-free pudding...just to get my chocolate fix. :)

If you're trying to eat Skinny Cow or anything else as a meal...no, that's not going to work. Or even if you have it as every between-meal snack. But, IMO, it's perfectly okay to have it as a dessert at the end of the day.

Today, I had something different...soooo good. Cinnamon nutrigrain waffles with sugar-free strawberry jelly. Yum!

tonights treat is popcorn when I get back from working out again:drinker:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I just think it's important for people to be okay with eating nutritionally void food every once in a while. Moderation applies to everything, nutritious or not. Every food has a redeemable quality. Ice cream is low GI and has calcium and some protein. Yes, it has saturated fat, but that's actually an important part of the diet and we need it. Potato chips contain complex carbohydrates and the fat makes them lower GI than a plain old baked potato. Artificial sugars are almost calorically free and don't cause an insulogenic reaction in diabetics. Sure, when we feed rats the equivalent of litres of aspartame a day, they have health problems. But that is not moderation. In excess, anything is bad for you--and some vitamins will kill you if you have too many.
    We all appreciate differing points of view and, to me anyway, it's part of what makes this forum so interesting. I love debating this stuff but I never mean it as an attack. :smooched:

Just to start another debate......... with in a debate.......... :laugh: :laugh:

Artificial sweetners do cause a spike in insulin in a lot of diabetics..............

I am one of those people. Actually, I thought something was wrong with me and asked my endocrinologist and he said it is common even with people that are not diabetic to have an insulin response with artificial sweetners.............A person's body can metabolize it the same as regular table sugar..........

I am one to stay away from artificial sweetners, aspartame, splenda, etc............I get a insulin response.

I can have agave nectar and stevia and raw honey, but all 3 of those are natural.

I have heard that as well. I'm surprised honey doesn't elicit an insulin response. Or does it, but no more than regular sugar?

Really it's just an example that the body will metabolize whatever it can and regardless of the form in which it's eaten, carbohydrates are used as glucose. Nothing foreign.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Dave, it was a really good post and I enjoyed reading it. And I also know you did not write it, you were just sharing the info. I know and most of us know that when it comes to eating, grabbing something truly healthy is what counts, the fruits the veggies all that. But sometimes we need those little extra things that make life more interesting...:laugh: As long as we dont overdo it...:flowerforyou:

FC, I bought those at Sam's Club, they came in a big box that had a box of truffles, a box of vanilla/caramel ice cream cones, and a box of chocolate/fudge ice cream cones. My husband liked the cones but not the truffles. I thought it was a pretty good deal, under $10. Skinny cow ice cream can be pretty pricey. That is what I don't like about them :laugh: I don't buy them all the time. :flowerforyou:
    Yea I think they run about 5.99 here for a box of 6? I don't belong to Sam's club so that might not happen for me...getting in on all the Sam's deals I mean that you all share about from time to time.:sad:

Thanks my water drinkin buddy!:wink::tongue: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

I have heard that as well. I'm surprised honey doesn't elicit an insulin response. Or does it, but no more than regular sugar?

Really it's just an example that the body will metabolize whatever it can and regardless of the form in which it's eaten, carbohydrates are used as glucose. Nothing foreign.
    I believe honey does in some...

Well 3 pages on Skinny Cows :tongue:

I think I got a days worth of posting done here as well with my buds:wink::flowerforyou:

ta ta....
    FC:heart:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Processed honey will cause an insulin response in me, raw, organic honey does not...........Not sure why.

Yes, your body metabolizes everything that goes in the mouth.

There are numerous studies of where diet soda can cause a person to gain weight very similar to drinking a regular sugary soda.............
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Processed honey will cause an insulin response in me, raw, organic honey does not...........Not sure why.

Yes, your body metabolizes everything that goes in the mouth.

There are numerous studies of where diet soda can cause a person to gain weight very similar to drinking a regular sugary soda.............

Well, yes, but for different reasons. The soda still doesn't have any calories. Even if insulin increases, the soda itself can't provide any energy. They associated increased sugar cravings and consumption with diet soda consumption. But if you're counting calories and paying attention to what's going into your body to maintain a caloric deficit, you're not going to gain fat. It's not possible in terms of chemistry or physiology.
  • abillings9
    abillings9 Posts: 165
    Options
    LOL...with all the healthy eating and working out I do, I need this sin to feel sane. :wink:

yes...but your body wants to slap you...LOL

You may be right Dave198 but when you have pms and can only think of chocolate let us all know how you beat that craving. And after a running 38 miles a week, 1:20 of strength and additional cardio I think I can endulge in this sin. :wink:

Amen to that! :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Oh lordy pete...just now saw all my missing words and typo's on here...LOL We'll I'm only human and can type way to fast for my own good:blushing:

You all made me crave a skinny cow fudge bar:tongue: ...but instead I had a single serving bag of popcorn mixed in 2 T. raisins and 2 T. sliced amonds... mmm new combo to me.. I think I'll do it again:wink: Crunchy sweet/salty...the perfect combo I'll have to remember that come PMS time again:huh: :bigsmile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    good article but I do love me skinny cow ice cream going to buy some on wed when I go grocery shopping!!!
  • mom24qties
    mom24qties Posts: 112
    Options
    I had a feeling this would happen...getting attacked...that is why the title of this thread is what it is..
    I did not write the article...do I eat this product? no...I just have seen so many threads talking of this stuff and how people love it..I did a 10 second search and the article popped up

give me a break
    Dave

I don't see anyone attacking YOU specifically. It's not directed at you -- it's directed in general at the author of the article and the mentality it wants to persuade us of, and since you posted a somewhat controversial topic on a fitness forum, you should realize people are going to "debate it" and/or tear it apart and try to see it from both sides. It has nothing to do with you personally. Perhaps make it clearer that this is an article you found from the get-go and leave it open and ask people what they think. As you can see, there's no shortage of people with opinions. But don't take it as something directed at you -- you're just the messenger, but that's not crystal clear.

Some advice -- be sure to include the title of the actual article, who it was written by and maybe even a link to where you found it right away before posting the body of the article (especially on something kinda touchy) so it's clear it's an article found online and not your opinion. I know you put "(found on internet.."is skinny cow healthy" was the search line) " at the very end, but by the time people get down to the end, depending on their point of view, they may already have their blood boiling or have made up their mind/opinion and want to share it and didn't notice that, since the thread starts off like someone's opinion instead of tags that would make it stand out as an article.

People have opinions and when you post something they are going to respond with them. That's what's great about forums. We all have our $0.02 to share. I am sure that no one means to attack YOU but are more passionate about their side of things and wanted to share. Plus they may not have realized it was "just an article."

Okay, but I think we should share our $0.10 , you know to adjust for inflation!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Dave, thanks for posting this, I totally agree with it. I only get 1400 calories a day; I am going to make every one of them count. Skinny Cow is still empty calories that does more harm to my body than good. Just because they call it "Skinny" don't make it so -- and it "don't" make it healthy LOL!!!! :wink:

It's funny because I am not religious but I was raised in church where they always told me "my body is my temple" and now I think of that in terms of what I eat. Would I show up to church dressed in tattered jeans and a tshirt? NO LOL... so I am not going to put junk in my body, whether they call it "skinny" or not!!!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I really hadn't had a Skinny Cow in at least 6 months. I had kind of forgot about them, and they don't have them in my small town. But now after all this talk about them, I had to buy some today when were in a larger town.
  • chrissysgreg
    Options
    Great article!
  • Karma_Rocks
    Options
    I really hadn't had a Skinny Cow in at least 6 months. I had kind of forgot about them, and they don't have them in my small town. But now after all this talk about them, I had to buy some today when were in a larger town.
    :laugh: :drinker:
  • ClaudiaRN
    ClaudiaRN Posts: 20
    Options
    I don't know if i'm just old or living in the back country, but I have never even heard of skinny cow or laughing cow. the only cows I know of give milk and have 4 legs. like I said I must be getting old.