What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Sweet potato casserole is actually good (as a dessert) .. kinda unpopular
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Haha! I'll let you slide on the dessert thing...I do like sweet potato pie and sweet potato cookies.

I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not....

Marshmallows do not belong in savory dishes.
  • pancakerunner

Haha! I'll let you slide on the dessert thing...I do like sweet potato pie and sweet potato cookies.

I'm not sure if this is unpopular or not....

Marshmallows do not belong in savory dishes.

THAT I can side with.
  • pancakerunner
    Rice does not belong in burritos
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    @pancakerunner. (How on earth do you make @ usernames in blue/hyperlink???). To grill the sweet potatoes, do you wrap them in foil tightly and for the whole time? How long would you guess for a typical/medium sized potato? Our grill is also a smoker, so I would guess at some point to unwrap them? Thanks, I am a newbie at grilling.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    Oh, wow! I did it (the blue). Huh.
  • pancakerunner
    @pancakerunner. (How on earth do you make @ usernames in blue/hyperlink???). To grill the sweet potatoes, do you wrap them in foil tightly and for the whole time? How long would you guess for a typical/medium sized potato? Our grill is also a smoker, so I would guess at some point to unwrap them? Thanks, I am a newbie at grilling.

Wrap in tinfoil! Look up campfire sweet potatoes. A lot of recipes out there. Would work on the grill too I suppose 😍
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    edited October 2020

Yes!! There are cakes, sweet potato cookies, biscuits from sweet potato. I would take a sweet potato with melted ( vegan) butter, whipped cream or marshmallow fluff, maple syrup, cinnamon- mmm

I love overcooked sweet potato to where its chewy. Slightly burnt popcorn in clumps- yum
  • VegjoyP
    Christmas fruitcake- YUM! I don't eat it but love it. Now if I found a plant based gluten free fruitcake...
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    yes...I'm feeling the yumminess vibe towards a 'good' Christmas fruitcake....I'm particular though - lots of dates/figs/prunes and various nuts and cherries - no orange or raisins/pineapple though lol!
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    I like fruitcake full of garish candied fruit and a good dose of booze.
  • VegjoyP
    Easter candy is WAY better than Halloween candy.
  • PAPYRUS3
    VegjoyP wrote: »

What is your favorite Easter one?
  • pancakerunner
    another one here for Fruitcake!
  • VegjoyP
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »

What is your favorite Easter one?

I like the mini hocolate eggs, a solid dark chocolate bunny, the colorful hollow eggs that are kinda chewy, chocolate and vanilla cream filled eggs, maple filled eggs...aaaaand.. peeps- in hot cocoa 😁
    .II haven't eaten any of this in decades but they were my favorites
  • PAPYRUS3
    @VegjoyP - I too haven't had what you listed for years and years...Loving it all...excepts the peeps
  • pancakerunner
    @VegjoyP - I too haven't had what you listed for years and years...Loving it all...excepts the peeps

Unpopular opinion: I actually like peeps
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member

You know, I'm rarely in the mood for straight up sugary sweet monstrosities like Peeps, but every spring I buy one package of Peeps and thoroughly enjoy them with a cup of strong coffee or tea. And then I don't want to see another until next year lol. Nostalgia for me maybe
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

My Mom likes them, but only if they are stale. She'll open the package and let them sit out for a few days until they get a little crunchy.

Also, she only likes the chick-shaped ones (no bunnies or any of that), because something about the sugar-to-marshmallow ratio.
  • pancakerunner
    kimny72 wrote: »

You know, I'm rarely in the mood for straight up sugary sweet monstrosities like Peeps, but every spring I buy one package of Peeps and thoroughly enjoy them with a cup of strong coffee or tea. And then I don't want to see another until next year lol. Nostalgia for me maybe

I am exactly the same. It's a one and done occasion.