Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,398 Member Member Posts: 5,398 Member
    Going to come out against ketchup (well, for me, others can have it if they like it), and in favor of garlic and butter in general (including on shrimp). My favorite way to eat shrimp, though, is as part of a stirfry or pasta sauce, so I often have it without butter, but nothing wrong with butter on it.

Also good with butter -- skate cooked in brown butter. But I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,574 Member Member Posts: 3,574 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Going to come out against ketchup (well, for me, others can have it if they like it), and in favor of garlic and butter in general (including on shrimp). My favorite way to eat shrimp, though, is as part of a stirfry or pasta sauce, so I often have it without butter, but nothing wrong with butter on it.

Also good with butter -- skate cooked in brown butter. But I doubt that's an unpopular opinion.

Ketchup on grilled cheese and scrambled eggs... necessary.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 3,574 Member Member Posts: 3,574 Member

Nope. Absolutely not. (I find the egg thing especially weird, but I know it's common. My mom did it.)

Nope. Absolutely not. (I find the egg thing especially weird, but I know it's common. My mom did it.)

I'm weird... I don't like ketchup on french fries (prefer ranch dressing) but like it on hashbrowns and breakfast potatoes.
  • ejbronteejbronte Member Posts: 809 Member Member Posts: 809 Member

I'm weird... I don't like ketchup on french fries (prefer ranch dressing) but like it on hashbrowns and breakfast potatoes.

Pepper on fries works very nicely.
  • brittanystebbins95brittanystebbins95 Member Posts: 522 Member Member Posts: 522 Member
    Mac and Cheese is absolutely gross unless you add either ketchup, tuna, or peas.
    The ketchup on its own. The tuna and peas are good together, though.
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,521 Member Member Posts: 2,521 Member

Ketchup no, salsa yes.
    Mac and Cheese is absolutely gross unless you add either ketchup, tuna, or peas.

Mac and cheese is fine, not something I really care about, but the idea of adding either ketchup or tuna to it horrifies me (granted, I don't like ketchup, as mentioned above, and canned tuna is one of the foods I find most repulsive (tuna steak or sushi is great, but not with mac & cheese). Peas don't sound appealing with mac & cheese either, but not as terrible.

Broccoli, on the other hand, is good with mac and cheese, and so is pulled pork, but there are other things more worth the cals good with broccoli and pulled pork.
    edited March 27
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,491 Member Member Posts: 6,491 Member

Mac and cheese is fine, not something I really care about, but the idea of adding either ketchup or tuna to it horrifies me (granted, I don't like ketchup, as mentioned above, and canned tuna is one of the foods I find most repulsive (tuna steak or sushi is great, but not with mac & cheese). Peas don't sound appealing with mac & cheese either, but not as terrible.

Broccoli, on the other hand, is good with mac and cheese, and so is pulled pork, but there are other things more worth the cals good with broccoli and pulled pork.

👍

ccrdragon wrote: »

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

Salsa... on french fries?? nope
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,521 Member Member Posts: 2,521 Member

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

French fries, baked potatoes, salads, eggs, steak.... there are very few things that I wouldn't eat salsa on - ice cream comes to mind as one of those things.
  • TheDevastatorTheDevastator Member Posts: 1,505 Member Member Posts: 1,505 Member
    I really love homemade tartar sauce on french fries.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 546 Member Member Posts: 546 Member
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

Ditto! I like the batter and frosting but not a fan of cake at all!
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I love cake batter, a few licks when I bake a cake...but generally could care less about the cake itself unless it has very special frosting or some kind of filling.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm the same with donuts... LOVE custard filled or cream filled! And feel this way about cupcakes

Ketchup no, salsa yes.

French fries, baked potatoes, salads, eggs, steak.... there are very few things that I wouldn't eat salsa on - ice cream comes to mind as one of those things.

I guess I'm just not a salsa fan... The idea of salsa on potatoes is a little strange for me

Couldn't agree more.

I'm the same with donuts... LOVE custard filled or cream filled! And feel this way about cupcakes

In our family, there's a liking for the coating of sweets and such more than the interior: we used to eat the icing off a Yodel and relish it more than the cake interior; ditto with Hostess cupcakes: we'd take the icing off, demolish the cake without noticing, but linger over the chocolate icing and the swirl; muffin tops more than the body; all that sort of thing.

Personally, I've never been fond of custards, puddings, and such. My theory is that, in general, I like food that is either solid or liquid, and not in between.
    ejbronte wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.

In our family, there's a liking for the coating of sweets and such more than the interior: we used to eat the icing off a Yodel and relish it more than the cake interior; ditto with Hostess cupcakes: we'd take the icing off, demolish the cake without noticing, but linger over the chocolate icing and the swirl; muffin tops more than the body; all that sort of thing.

Personally, I've never been fond of custards, puddings, and such. My theory is that, in general, I like food that is either solid or liquid, and not in between.

Toaster strudel icing packets were crack growing up haha. Or the little cup of frosting from the cinnamon rolls. ALSO, with those little cakes with icing I would peel off the icing and eat it. And eat the inside of Twinkies. And swiss rolls I would unroll and eat the inside as well... guess you and me are the same! :D
    Looks that way! Yes, with Yodels/swiss rolls, there was a whole ritual of denuding the top, trying to keep the icing as whole as possible; and then the unrolling and eating of the roll itself. Strudel, yes! They should make cakes that are only strudel....
    ejbronte wrote: »
    Looks that way! Yes, with Yodels/swiss rolls, there was a whole ritual of denuding the top, trying to keep the icing as whole as possible; and then the unrolling and eating of the roll itself. Strudel, yes! They should make cakes that are only strudel....

vitpqrv5pq10.png

I can literally feel this picture haha