Feel defeated and demoralized about my diet

Hello

I have been on MFP for years with success on and off at losing weight. My desire is to lose 15 lbs or 4 inches overall.

I know that it’s 80% diet and 20% exercise. This has been true for me. I am not a novice at weight loss as i’ve been battling my weight since adolescence.

I am 43 now, 170 lbs, 5’6, and having a really hard time controlling my calorie intake.

I’m demoralized over the idea that something as wonderful as food is actually hurting me like an enemy. :(

It seems unfair that a few calories over - in the form of an extra spoon of rice or a handful of almonds - will sabotage my goals. That day then seems “wasted.”

Please review my diary and give me encouragement. Being fat is a source of shame for me. I have even been dreaming about how fat i am. This is probably because of how demoralized i feel. I dont want 100-150 calories - the size if an apple!!! - to stand in my way of losing this unwanted bulk.

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Have your blood glucose checked out. Start there and move forward. You know the way.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I agree with the comments about tightening up the logging. It's easy to slip and it's monotonous to keep weighing everything out - especially when you've been doing it a while. (At least I find it to be monotonous). Consistency is key, you've just got to keep at it. I have definitely had a few phases where I've got lazy at it, and you can see that progress just stalls.

I also think a bit of exercise would help you out by giving you extra cals. Sure, you can't out run a bad diet, but looking at a few days I don't think what you're eating is the problem (although as has been said, accurate logging will give you better data to work with). It also has a positive impact on mood and general wellbeing so might help with the negative feelings you have - we all get fed up with our weight at some point - otherwise this forum would be empty :D
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/special-reports/healthy-diet-and-lifestyle-to-sidestep-metabolic-syndrome
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4272668/

'Various groups of experts have come up with ways to define metabolic syndrome. They include the American Heart Association, the International Diabetes Federation, and the World Health Organization.'
    One out of three have diabetes and most may not know it.

You said you've been battling this since your teen years. Time to see what's going on. You can know where you stand and track your data points at the same time.
  • joowelz
    joowelz Posts: 170 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    The day is not 'wasted' if you're a few calories over your goal. What weight loss rate have you chosen? Even at the slowest rate of loss you have a 250 kcal margin between your calorie goal and maintenance. Anything under maintenance is progress!

What are you struggling with: not being able to stick to your goal? Or sticking to your calorie goal, but not losing weight?

Your food diary looks like it could be improved.

Just want to clarify. Yes, i am weighing most things like grape tomatoes, cheese, rice, animal flesh, etc. I’m using the nutrition label on the pita bag to log half a pita, tbls of choco powder, etc and counting almonds manually.

My frustration is with not being able to stay under 1800 cals per day.

Lots of good advice here. Thank you.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Fair... unfair....either you develop the a lifestyle that meets your goals or you dont. Understand that there are people who get more num-nums than you and others who don't. As far as a "wasted" day, this is not a damn race unless you have a medical reason to lose rapidly. Just pick your backside up and move on... oh yes, if you can move. Move your *kitten*! Exercise does more than burn calories l. In some people it blunts hunger and helps manage caloric intake. Do or do not..

I'm sorry. I'll stop hoarding all the num nums. :(

Also, in for the tough love!

Guess I am a little jaded being a 6"3" 210lb Male with maintenance over 3k...🤔
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Fair... unfair....either you develop the a lifestyle that meets your goals or you dont. Understand that there are people who get more num-nums than you and others who don't. As far as a "wasted" day, this is not a damn race unless you have a medical reason to lose rapidly. Just pick your backside up and move on... oh yes, if you can move. Move your *kitten*! Exercise does more than burn calories l. In some people it blunts hunger and helps manage caloric intake. Do or do not..

I have personally found that focusing on what might be "fair" or "unfair" about what I have to do to manage my weight relative to others is 100% wasted energy. It gives me nothing of value to focus on how there are some guys who can eat double what I can eat and still have a BMI in the healthy range or that there are people who aren't tempted by higher calorie foods.

There really is no "fair" or "unfair." There is how much energy my body uses (which is a factor I can help control) and how much energy I consume (something I completely control). How much energy that guy over there is using or how much energy that woman over there is consuming are irrelevant for my purposes.

I think that was exactly psychod's point, and I agree with both of you. Just gotta optimize your num nums.

I kinda want this on a bumper sticker..
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Just tighten up your logging. If you know you're over in rice, make your portion a little smaller. Tiny changes throughout the day can make a big difference.

This is what I was going to suggest. Eat what you want - just a little less- especially since it's only 100-150 calories you wish to eliminate. Smaller plates help and yes, logging/weighing everything too.