Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cut Added Sugars Recommendation from 10% of US Diet to 6%?

2»

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    What about added fats, are there any recommendations for that? I don't think eating large quantities of butter and vegetable oil is necessarily good.
  • Treblesmama
    Treblesmama Posts: 11 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    What about added fats, are there any recommendations for that? I don't think eating large quantities of butter and vegetable oil is necessarily good.

My personal experience-it depends.

I've been doing a very low carb woe for a while now and my sugar intake is pretty close to zero, (regardless of added or natural). My macros split is high fat, moderate protein, almost zero carb. 'Larger' quantities of fat lines up with my woe/goals. If I was to continue to eat a high fat diet though and then added in sugar/carbs, things would become unbalanced because I'd be consuming excess calories. Same if I started adding more protein, without cutting back on fat.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Mellouk89 wrote: »

Less than 10% sat fat is a common recommendation (Cleveland Clinic, for one, probably the Dietary Guidelines). Other sources just say to limit lower nutrient sources of cals, such as added sugar and added fats, without specific numbers.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,592 Member
    An aside - I really wish MFP would start tracking added sugar....not overall sugar. I'm pretty good on that front - and a positive stat is always encouraging.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    An aside - I really wish MFP would start tracking added sugar....not overall sugar. I'm pretty good on that front - and a positive stat is always encouraging.

FWIW, there's a place for added sugar in the MFP database already, and I believe it can be entered already via the phone/tablet app (but not entered/seen in the web version). The problem is that it isn't on food labels worldwide, not even universally in the US yet, so it will be a very long time before that data is reasonably well populated into the crowd-sourced database. If you use the app, you could begin editing the foods you like to use, and adding it, if that seems worth the effort.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

FWIW, there's a place for added sugar in the MFP database already, and I believe it can be entered already via the phone/tablet app (but not entered/seen in the web version). The problem is that it isn't on food labels worldwide, not even universally in the US yet, so it will be a very long time before that data is reasonably well populated into the crowd-sourced database. If you use the app, you could begin editing the foods you like to use, and adding it, if that seems worth the effort.

I can't find a place to enter added sugar when creating a new food on my app, maybe it depends on the version of the app?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I can't find a place to enter added sugar when creating a new food on my app, maybe it depends on the version of the app?

Maybe. I went into "Foods" in "Recipes, Meals & Foods", and opened one of my foods to edit, on my Android phone before posting what I did above. It seems willing to let me enter data into that field, but I didn't try to save it. Hmm, did just go back in and try saving it. It seems to work. Must be version specific, or varies exactly where one can enter it? (I didn't try entering a food from scratch, or editing a public one.) But it's obvious this is something MFP's been at least considering/working on.

It seems surprising to me this is an important variable to some (in MFP, not on labels, where I will find it informative), but I truly think that's a limitation of my brain, not intended as a criticism of others. I go over the MFP default sugar goal pretty much daily, but so little of it is added sugar, and it's in the context of sensible calories/macros/micros/fiber, that I don't worry about it. Amusingly, the one big source of added sugar I eat pretty much daily is one you'd have to pry away from me for nutritional reasons, because it brings me over 900mg of potassium, and 25% iron (and tastes great in my oatmeal, besides! 😉).