HELP!! Under protein and carbs but above fats

2»

Replies

• kika5105 wrote: »
    @Squatcleananddeadlift ok thanks I will try that.

I'm sure you are doing great 👌
  • kika5105
    kika5105 Posts: 28 Member
    @dragon_girl26 oh yes! Im definitely not trying to perfectly balance them but trying to be closer to my grams for protein and carbs for the day as I am off by like 70g of protein (im not too worried about carbs) I'm new to the whole macro thing so I was looking for advice on how get to my goal. I totally forgot about tofu, will have to make some. Thanks!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay, you have your protein goal set at 180 grams, which is completely unnecessary. 1g per lb of lean body mass (or 0.6-0.8g per lb of ideal/goal weight) is a general rule of thumb for setting protein minimum. So if you're 70g under on what you currently have it set as, you're actually fine. Conversely, your fat, at 45g, while fine is at the lower end. You could increase that if you wanted - 0.25-0.45g per lb of ideal weight is a good guideline for this. Them just let carbs fall where they may according to preference - ie if you find more fat and/or protein keeps you more satiated, it's fine to eat more of those and fewer carbs.

At the end of the day, calories are what dictate weight loss/gain. Macros are more about personal preference (what keeps you satisfied, and therefore sticking to your calorie goal) and fitness goals, eg fuelling cardio, strength training, etc.

Looking at this in terms of percentages, your settings come to:
    • Carbs - 38%
    • Protein - 40%
    • Fat - 22%

Like Nony said, your protein is higher and fat lower than it needs to be.

The MFP default macros are 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat, but you could certainly take some from carbs and give it to protein to find a happier middle ground from where you are now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I try to have protein every time I eat and focus on getting somewhere near enough. The carbs and fat usually come into balance in their own. Don’t try to fix a one day variation. Just rebalance they next day.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Protein is way over done. 50g of protein per day is really all you need unless you are body building.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Protein is way over done. 50g of protein per day is really all you need unless you are body building.

Why would anyone think you only need 50g of protein a day?? And why would everyone need the exact same amount unless they are body building?? Body building is NOT the same as weight lifting and people who are weight lifting need more than 50g per day.

• derekoh1234
    derekoh1234 Posts: 14 Member
    most days look ok, but drop the olive oil and use a cooking spray instead, drop the almond butter and use pb2 or pbfit if you need to have a nut spread... protein bars can help fill in gaps too, low fat milk in your protein shakes... youll figure it out but its not a huge deal.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    most days look ok, but drop the olive oil and use a cooking spray instead, drop the almond butter and use pb2 or pbfit if you need to have a nut spread... protein bars can help fill in gaps too, low fat milk in your protein shakes... youll figure it out but its not a huge deal.

Why? We've already established that her protein macro is set too high, and that in fact she could probably increase her fat macro if she wants to. There's nothing wrong with any of those foods you've listed, and no need for her to cut them.