Bike riding safety....

Options
I like to ride my bike for fun and exercise. Sometimes my husband and I ride together but our work schedule doesn't always allow that. So I'll go alone.
He doesn't like me going alone because he says it's dangerous and I could get kidnapped hurt or even...bears
I carry my cellphone with me always and before I met him I used to go alone
Do you think it's unsafe for a woman to ride bike alone?
Safety tips?

Replies

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Stay where you can be seen. No wooded trail riding. I frequently ride by myself.

You cant live your life in fear, but take every safety precaution. You could be kidnapped going to church, bad people do bad things period.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'd say it's safe to ride alone, but I think the safety measures you take depends on your local area.

You mention bears...not sure if you're joking or if you live in an area with bear activity, but a can of pepper spray could help defend against wildlife or human threats. You could mount it to your bike so it's easily accessible if you should need it.

I never wear earbuds when I walk or ride alone. I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and able to hear if cars or people approach me. I don't want to be distracted by music or podcasts.

To make your husband feel better, let him know when you are leaving and when you plan on returning. Send him a quick text when you get back.

Since you already bring your cellphone, make sure that you have solid cell service in the area that you are riding.

I think it is important to ride in an area and at times where there are at least a few other people around. My cousin recently was riding her horse in a pretty remote area. She was thrown and briefly knocked out. She regained consciousness in a few minutes, but if she hadn't, I'm not sure how long it would have been until someone found her.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I like to ride my bike for fun and exercise. Sometimes my husband and I ride together but our work schedule doesn't always allow that. So I'll go alone.
    He doesn't like me going alone because he says it's dangerous and I could get kidnapped hurt or even...bears
    Safety tips?

I rarely see anyone where I hike, which concerns my OH. I take the following precautions to reassure him:

I carry pepper spray. (Amazon won't ship to my state, but I am able to buy it at a gun store.) Bear spray and pepper spray are different. In some places, bear spray is legal and pepper spray isn't, as it is stronger. You can spray bear spray from a farther distance, a big plus IMO.

If you're going to carry spray, make sure it is accessible. I wear a fanny pack and my phone and spray are both easily accessible - they are right there, no digging needed.

I use MapMyFitness and told my OH that if I don't come back someday he should tell the police that as the last GPS location would be a starting point.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The 'What3words' app is very good for being able to pinpoint location, I know here in the UK the emergency services encourage people to use it.
  • jayhschmidt
    jayhschmidt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bike computers, like Garmin, have an incident detection system that may help you if you fall off your bike or if someone intentionally knocks you off your bike. There was an incident around 10 years ago near where I live when a man intentionally drove his car into a woman who was jogging along the side of the road in order to kidnap her. I think varying your route so you are not predictable, is a good idea.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I don't think its unsafe, per se...but risk is always a thing so it is wise to have some element of protection on your person, just in case. It's also a good idea to let at least one other person know where you're going and around when you intend to return.
    If I couldn't go alone I would never be able to walk or ride. Just don't go into secluded areas outside of good daylight hours.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you’re using common sense you should be safe. What do I mean:
    - if riding in the dark use proper lighting etc. I personally hate riding in the dark and only do it by accident(I underestimate time to get back home, get a flat etc). But I have the stuff in case.
    - Tell someone else where you’re going, and roughly when you expect to get back.
    - When covid lockdown first started I needed a new frame pump for a while before replacing my co2 thingy. I used to tell either my daughter or my wife to keep their phone on hand in case I got a flat so they could “rescue” me. Made sure they were staying in the area I was riding more or less.
    - don’t ride where the bears live and ride the other way if you see one. Or keep a picnic basket with you in case it’s Yogi.
    - Same way- don’t ride in high crime areas
    - Down bling your bike. Cover the name brand with painters tape if it’s high end. I had a buddy get knocked off his bike in the 80’s by a guy in a van with a baseball bat. The guy jumped out and said “I’ve been looking for a Fuji,” threw the bike in the van and took off.
    - keep cell phone in jersey pocket instead of mounted to handlebars.
    - Remove and leave home fancy bike computers- even my cheesy one just slides off.
    - Water bottle squirts are great for scaring chasing dogs, as are waving frame pumps
    - like anything else- safely enjoy the rides!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    For anyone packing spray, etc, a sorta apocryphal story:

A relative worked in a high crime area, but always felt secure because he packed a gun in his cowboy boot and another gun in his pocket. When the day came he truly needed them, well, he was right handed and had them in his left hand pocket and left boot. He never had the ghost of a chance to draw.

🤦🏻‍♀️
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    And btw, I live in a beautiful historic district midway between two very active shelters. it came to local media’s attention that NYC was buying one way bus tickets to our town for some of their homeless. That explains the turnover. I used to recognize all “our” guys’ faces, and was friendly to them (except the dude who kicked my dog grrrrrr) but suddenly there were a bunch of new faces.

I don’t go out before dawn or after twilight unless I’m walking directly to the yoga studio through the well lit and popular CBD.
  • angela_boinkers
    angela_boinkers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just wear a helmet. You’ll be fine.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to go with the proper safety gear.
    twlbs5k1q8wz.gif
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    It really matters where you live. If you rode alone before marriage in the same place, and felt safe enough, I don't see how marriage changes things. If you've moved to a higher-crime, higher traffic, more-bears kind of place, then some thought may be necessary.

You don't have to make your husband's anxieties your anxieties, but maybe an app that lets him track you while on rides would calm him down? (If he wants you to use that app 24 x 7, you have a differnt problem, and it's a serious one - no joke.)

I'm a small-ish 64-year-old woman (5'5", around 125 pounds, gray hair). I ride by myself on secondary roads (not super busy, some traffic, low adrenaline drivers, narrow bike lane on the shoulder) and wooded trails, during daytime. I don't normally tell anyone where I'm going (no one to tell). I avoid the parts of the trails where there are more often homeless camps, though most of those folks are harmless. Every few years, we have an incident or small pattern with some male harassing or attacking women on those trails. In my mind, that's a low-probability risk. Otherwise, we don't have much crime. We don't have bears, just dogs and maybe the occasional shy coyote. I wear a helmet, and safety-colored clothing. I take my cell phone. I avoid the roads at hours when there's more traffic (to/from jobs). So far, it's been fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "before I met him I used to go alone"
    Not seeing how being married changes your risk assessment? Nice of him to be concerned of course but you get to choose.

"Do you think it's unsafe for a woman to ride bike alone?"
    No I don't think gender should disqualify someone from cycling alone.

"Safety tips?"
    The main dangers where I live are dangerous drivers and poor road surfaces, the animals are very benign.
    Primary safety is simply being alert, concentrating, controlling my road space as much as possible, being very visible, riding defensively. Secondary safety is wearing a helmet, hand and eye protection. I've only tested my cycling helmet once in tens of thousands of miles but it did it's job and saved me from a nasty head injury.
    Strava has a feature where you can provide a link to someone to be able to live track your route if that's helpful to you or reassuring to your husband.

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    If you were fine before you were married, then the chances are you are probably fine now. Don't lose your confidence and hold on to that independence!

Do a risk assessment - what are the biggest issues, which depends where you are, and what can you do to mitigate them. I don't much about bears! Never considered kidnapping to be a risk! I've lived in a few places that are a bit dodgy though and I always felt fairly safe but avoided certain areas/streets at night if I was on my own. The only time I've been a victim of crime is somewhere I should have been safe. My husband on the other hand, never considers the risks and has had a bike stolen, a phone, a wallet..and so on. He's a bit wiser these days though. On a bike, I don't think I'd have worried too much. How many people get pulled off a bike? Where I've lived I'm more likely to get hit by a bus/lorry whilst biking.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

how will a helmet protect her from a kidnapper? BTW, I ride 20-25 miles a day, and do not wear a bike helmet. My choice, my life. never wore one as a kid either and somehow me and all the neighborhood kids survived? You can wear all the safety gear around and still get run over by a mack truck and flattened.
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'd say it's safe to ride alone, but I think the safety measures you take depends on your local area.

You mention bears...not sure if you're joking or if you live in an area with bear activity, but a can of pepper spray could help defend against wildlife or human threats. You could mount it to your bike so it's easily accessible if you should need it.

I never wear earbuds when I walk or ride alone. I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and able to hear if cars or people approach me. I don't want to be distracted by music or podcasts.

To make your husband feel better, let him know when you are leaving and when you plan on returning. Send him a quick text when you get back.

Since you already bring your cellphone, make sure that you have solid cell service in the area that you are riding.

I think it is important to ride in an area and at times where there are at least a few other people around. My cousin recently was riding her horse in a pretty remote area. She was thrown and briefly knocked out. She regained consciousness in a few minutes, but if she hadn't, I'm not sure how long it would have been until someone found her.

We have bears
    My husband hunts deer and has seen bears
    When riding up our road we've seen muddy tracks on the road that look like bear tracks
    We have crappy cell service up this way so I can't guarantee good cell service but I take my phone with me
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Safety tips?

I rarely see anyone where I hike, which concerns my OH. I take the following precautions to reassure him:

I carry pepper spray. (Amazon won't ship to my state, but I am able to buy it at a gun store.) Bear spray and pepper spray are different. In some places, bear spray is legal and pepper spray isn't, as it is stronger. You can spray bear spray from a farther distance, a big plus IMO.

If you're going to carry spray, make sure it is accessible. I wear a fanny pack and my phone and spray are both easily accessible - they are right there, no digging needed.

I use MapMyFitness and told my OH that if I don't come back someday he should tell the police that as the last GPS location would be a starting point.

I'll have to look into pepper spray
    I use mapmyfitness too so that should help if something were to happen
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

how will a helmet protect her from a kidnapper? BTW, I ride 20-25 miles a day, and do not wear a bike helmet. My choice, my life. never wore one as a kid either and somehow me and all the neighborhood kids survived? You can wear all the safety gear around and still get run over by a mack truck and flattened.

In most places (not all) the risk of kidnapping is vanishingly low. Generally much lower than, say, the risk of being run over by a mack truck (or other vehicle) and flattened. Kidnapping is something women tend to fear, but (in the US at least, overall) stranger kidnapping is extremely rare. Even most assaults/rapes are committed by people we know. I'm not saying no one needs to consider stranger danger, and in some specific areas, the danger of some sorts of crime is very real. In many areas, some women's fears limit them more than the true risks, IMO. Maybe I'll be sorry about my "risky" behavior someday, but the first 64 years has gone OK.

Helmets are indeed a personal choice. Yup, won't stop a mack truck squasharoo. But, having known several cyclists who took a header, hit gravel, got bumped at a stoplight by a vehicle and thrown off the bike, and avoided head injury because of their helmets, I'm gonna keep wearing mine.

You needn't wear a helmet, if you don't choose to, and I sincerely hope you stay safe. I'd guess the odds are on your side, too . . . but not as favorable as most women's odds of avoiding stranger kidnapping.

Edited: Minor typos.