Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    degloving

oh gord, ya - I can't imagine
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    De-veining. Actually, anything with the word "vein" in it. Veins in general creep me the *kitten* out.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    steph6556 wrote: »
    The word is okay but when ppl say “divisive” with a short i instead of a long i it makes me cringe! This is a very di•VIGH•sive topic, indeed. 😉

Truly? I've not heard this.
  • s131951
    Options
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    there are passive aggressive work phrases that make me cringe but they not single words

like “action a project” or “circle back on” or “table that discussion”

Thanks for reaching out.
  • beagletracks
    Options
    No many how many times I correct his pronunciation of “suet,” my bf always says “suette” (like “duet”).

Usually mispronunciations don’t bother me, but this one does, partly because he doesn’t seem to believe me.

Yes, bird feeders are major entertainment here.
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    @s131951, Biden just used it (short i) about two weeks ago on an interview and before that it was used the same way in the news several times....got me thinkin’, when the heck did people start changing the pronunciation??
  • s131951
    Options
    steph6556 wrote: »
    @s131951, Biden just used it (short i) about two weeks ago on an interview and before that it was used the same way in the news several times....got me thinkin’, when the heck did people start changing the pronunciation??

Oy.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    pustule
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    WRATGAS

Saw this in 1970s. Bowling team name on their shirts.

They waited for someone to ask “What is that?”

Who really and truly gives a S____!
  • s131951
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    WRATGAS

Saw this in 1970s. Bowling team name on their shirts.

They waited for someone to ask “What is that?”

Who really and truly gives a S____!

Should have informed them that it is not the way to spell the brown wizard's name.
  • beagletracks
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Merriam-Webster is in on the “divisive” pronunciation conspiracy, too, looks like.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/divisive
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    there are passive aggressive work phrases that make me cringe but they not single words

like “action a project” or “circle back on” or “table that discussion”

"Reach out to"... does nobody say talk to or contact any more? I guess it's better than "liaise with" which was in vogue 10 years ago, and also made me cringe.

Really big *kitten* problems must be referred to as "challenges".

"Flow the funds to". Just say PAY, dammit.

People who say "utilize" when "use" is almost always appropriate.

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Well now after that other thread about what to call soda, people who use the terms "fizzy drinks" and "soft drink" are just psychos who should be locked up.

Either that or we all need to be vigilant and call those people out as the sociopaths they are when they use those terms. :grimace::D
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    Well now after that other thread about what to call soda, people who use the terms "fizzy drinks" and "soft drink" are just psychos who should be locked up.

Either that or we all need to be vigilant and call those people out as the sociopaths they are when they use those terms. :grimace::D

this is the way
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

this is the way

carbonated beverage
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Phlegm
    Globule
    pus

Basically anything to do with bodily fluids.

Moist doesn't bother me at all though. I just think of cake!

I also use the word moisturized a lot in writing when referring to skin so I'm immune to any negative connotations.