Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Lifting glove advice

JessiBelleWJessiBelleW Member Posts: 726 Member Member Posts: 726 Member
Hi team,
Today I managed to deadlift 60kgs / 130lbs, but couldn’t manage more due to grip. Gym suggested buying gloves.
Does anyone have any tips about what I am looking for? What makes a good glove?
«13

Replies

  • wiigelecwiigelec Member Posts: 503 Member Member Posts: 503 Member
    gloves will, in essence, make the bar larger and likely more difficult to grip, not easier.

    are you using chalk (like a gymnast)? that would be the first suggestion.

    second suggestion would be a hook or alternating grip.

    last would be straps.
  • sijomialsijomial Member Posts: 18,999 Member Member Posts: 18,999 Member
    My personal shopping requirements:
    Good fit (no bunching), tacky grip textile material and not leather (they can stink like dead fish after a while!), good hand/finger wrist coverage as cold bars can trigger my Raynaud's and my blood supply switches off.

    Current ones have wrist straps too which is useful for me for big pressing movements as I mashed up my wrists a few years ago.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CN8RZPZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Alternatives to gloves are chalk, weight lifting straps, working on your grip strength and experimenting with different grip techniques. Guess patience is also an option but who has the time for that? :smiley:

    (Of course you can wear gloves and still keeping working on improving your grip, they aren't mutually exclusive.....)
  • cgvet37cgvet37 Member Posts: 1,189 Member Member Posts: 1,189 Member
    Were your hands slipping off of the bar, or was your grip just too weak?
  • JessiBelleWJessiBelleW Member Posts: 726 Member Member Posts: 726 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Were your hands slipping off of the bar, or was your grip just too weak?

    Slipping! My hands were very sweaty.
  • cgvet37cgvet37 Member Posts: 1,189 Member Member Posts: 1,189 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Were your hands slipping off of the bar, or was your grip just too weak?

    Slipping! My hands were very sweaty.

    Get some liquid chalk. I personally wouldn't wear gloves unless your hands are getting torn up.
  • IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 496 Member Member Posts: 496 Member
    Chalk, not gloves but it's really your grip strength you should work on. I'd suggest doing farmers carry's to build grip strength.
  • sijomialsijomial Member Posts: 18,999 Member Member Posts: 18,999 Member
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Were your hands slipping off of the bar, or was your grip just too weak?

    Slipping! My hands were very sweaty.

    Chalk if your gym allows it, anti perspirant if they don't.....
  • IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 496 Member Member Posts: 496 Member
    Chalk, not gloves but it's really your grip strength you should work on. I'd suggest doing farmers carry's to build grip strength.

    Lmao, I get my fair share of disagree's but I'd love this one to defend it
  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 7,677 Member Member Posts: 7,677 Member
    I use some called "tacky gloves" from Walmart. They can be for cycling or lifting. Using an alternate grip really helps. Chalk is also good if your gym allows it. I started wearing gloves when my hands were getting pinched and calloused from deadlifts and pullups.
  • dbanks80dbanks80 Member Posts: 3,687 Member Member Posts: 3,687 Member
    I use straps. You can get them at any sporting good store.
  • sgt1372sgt1372 Member Posts: 3,932 Member Member Posts: 3,932 Member
    Nothing "wrong" w/using gloves if they work for you.Use them if they do don't if they don't

    I use them to keep calluses from forming. They work for that. Use them w/straps on deadlifts. Don't lift any less when I wear them
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 2,115 Member Member Posts: 2,115 Member
    Chalk, not gloves but it's really your grip strength you should work on. I'd suggest doing farmers carry's to build grip strength.

    Good call.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakescupcakesandproteinshakes Member Posts: 912 Member Member Posts: 912 Member
    I use versa grips. I’m not bothered about increasing my grip strength. Versa grips aren’t cheap but they work well.
  • JessiBelleWJessiBelleW Member Posts: 726 Member Member Posts: 726 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Nothing "wrong" w/using gloves if they work for you.Use them if they do don't if they don't

    I use them to keep calluses from forming. They work for that. Use them w/straps on deadlifts. Don't lift any less when I wear them

    Yes I’ve got the beginnings of calluses too - I assume if I lift more they’ll get bigger/ more prominent
  • IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 496 Member Member Posts: 496 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Nothing "wrong" w/using gloves if they work for you.Use them if they do don't if they don't

    I use them to keep calluses from forming. They work for that. Use them w/straps on deadlifts. Don't lift any less when I wear them

    Unless you're chasing lifting numbers. I deadlift 585 with no straps or gloves but if I put gloves on, that added diameter and the movement of the material between my hands and the bar would actually reduce my grip and I wouldn't be able to pull the same amount. There's a reason powerlifters don't use gloves. But, if you're just trying to have a quick easy way to protect your hands and get past sweat, they're fine.
  • dbanks80dbanks80 Member Posts: 3,687 Member Member Posts: 3,687 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Nothing "wrong" w/using gloves if they work for you.Use them if they do don't if they don't

    I use them to keep calluses from forming. They work for that. Use them w/straps on deadlifts. Don't lift any less when I wear them

    Yes I’ve got the beginnings of calluses too - I assume if I lift more they’ll get bigger/ more prominent

    My trainer says if you don't have calluses then you aren't really lifting!! LOL

    I'm quite the diva :D and I do not like calluses my grip strength sucks so I wear gloves and use straps for DLs. I lift 225 lbs.
  • CipherZeroCipherZero Member Posts: 1,420 Member Member Posts: 1,420 Member
    Chalk will help grip; when you can't do double-overhand, switch to mixed grip. When mixed grip starts to fail, it's time for straps.

    Gloves are only useful to over an injury.
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 9,056 Member Member Posts: 9,056 Member
    Chalk, not gloves but it's really your grip strength you should work on. I'd suggest doing farmers carry's to build grip strength.

    Lmao, I get my fair share of disagree's but I'd love this one to defend it

    Essentially doing farmer's carries makes you better at farmer carries, not deadlift grip compared to actually performing the deadlift grip.

    The specificity isn't very close at all because of how, where, and the movement itself is performed.

    Doing more deadlifts with more reps and eventually higher intensity over time will improve your deadlift grip because of the specificity of the movement, hold angle, leverage, etc...

    If you are adding farmer carries to your programming for "grip work" only. then I'd argue its a poor choice on exercise selection.

    There is nothing wrong with farmers carries especially of you are or have aspirations to be a strongman competitor. The grip simply doesn't carry over well to deadlifts in place of performing a deadlift.

    So yeah specificity is why I don't find farmer's carries a great option for what the OP posted with what we know of his/her training.


    edited October 2020
  • IronIsMyTherapyIronIsMyTherapy Member Posts: 496 Member Member Posts: 496 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Chalk, not gloves but it's really your grip strength you should work on. I'd suggest doing farmers carry's to build grip strength.

    Lmao, I get my fair share of disagree's but I'd love this one to defend it

    Essentially doing farmer's carries makes you better at farmer carries, not deadlift grip compared to actually performing the deadlift grip.

    The specificity isn't very close at all because of how, where, and the movement itself is performed.

    Doing more deadlifts with more reps and eventually higher intensity over time will improve your deadlift grip because of the specificity of the movement, hold angle, leverage, etc...

    If you are adding farmer carries to your programming for "grip work" only. then I'd argue its a poor choice on exercise selection.

    There is nothing wrong with farmers carries especially of you are or have aspirations to be a strongman competitor. The grip simply doesn't carry over well to deadlifts in place of performing a deadlift.

    So yeah specificity is why I don't find farmer's carries a great option for what the OP posted with what we know of his/her training.


    I disagree. Farmers carry's are BOTH a good standalone exercise AND very often recommended to help with grip. Yes, the best way to improve a lift is to train the lift itself, but the specificity lies in the issue at hand, which is grip strength and I stand by the farmers carry as a great way to train grip.

    https://origympersonaltrainercourses.co.uk/blog/farmers-walk-benefits#:~:text=The farmer's walk strengthens your,when they are properly trained.

    https://barbend.com/benefits-of-farmers-walk/

    https://www.verywellfit.com/how-to-do-a-farmer-carry-techniques-benefits-variations-4796615

    https://www.theptdc.com/how-to-improve-grip-strength-with-these-top-exercises-for-hands

    https://www.crossfitinvictus.com/blog/farmer-carries-super-beneficial-yet-widely-underused/

    https://www.t-nation.com/training/farmer-s-walk-cure
    edited October 2020
  • wiigelecwiigelec Member Posts: 503 Member Member Posts: 503 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

    The specificity isn't very close at all because of how, where, and the movement itself is performed.

    ...because of the specificity of the movement, hold angle, leverage, etc...
    so improving grip strength while holding something perpendicular to the shoulder does not translate to improved grip strength while holding something parallel to the shoulder?

    interesting...
    edited October 2020
Sign In or Register to comment.