2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Just wear a helmet. You’ll be fine.

how will a helmet protect her from a kidnapper? BTW, I ride 20-25 miles a day, and do not wear a bike helmet. My choice, my life. never wore one as a kid either and somehow me and all the neighborhood kids survived? You can wear all the safety gear around and still get run over by a mack truck and flattened.

In most places (not all) the risk of kidnapping is vanishingly low. Generally much lower than, say, the risk of being run over by a mack truck (or other vehicle and flattened). Kidnapping is something women tend to fear, but (in the US at least, overall) stranger kidnapping is extremely rare. Even most assaults/rapes are committed by people we know. I'm not saying no one needs to consider stranger danger, and in some specific areas, the danger of some sorts of crime is very real. In many areas, some women's fears limit them more than the true risks, IMO. Maybe I'll be sorry about my "risky" behavior someday, but the first 64 years has gone OK.

Helmets are indeed a personal choice. Yup, won't stop a mack truck squasharoo. But, having known several cyclist who took a header, hit gravel, got bumped at a stoplight by a vehicle and thrown off the bike, and avoided head injury because of their helmets, I'm gonna keep wearing mine.

You needn't wear a helmet, if you don't choose to, and I sincerely hope you stay safe. I'd guess the odds are on your side, too . . . but not as favorable as most women's odds of avoiding stranger kidnapping.

My helmet has saved my skull twice in the past 7 years. Once in my early days of cycling when I was training for my first century and my tire had gone a little low and didn't notice it...rounded a corner at full speed and the rubber ripped right off my rim and threw me head first over my handle bars...ended up with two rotator cuff sprains and cracked the back of my helmet pretty good.

The other was back in June when I was mountain biking and tried to jump a little boulder...the angle wasn't quite what I thought it was and I went airborne but couldn't get my back tire down so my front tire hit first and through me into another boulder and a nice patch of prickly pear cactus. Overall minor injuries...mostly a ton of road rash and lots of cactus to pull out of my body...but another cracked helmet.

In regards to the OP...I guess it really depends on where you live. My wife is comfortable riding and running alone and has done so for years...long before I ever knew who she was.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Another thing. Garmin makes radar for bikes. It's a tail light, starts flashing whenever there's a car behind you to help the driver notice you. It tells you the speed and relative position of all the cars behind you for something crazy like a quarter mile. It always knows about them before I can hear them. It works on twisty roads when I can't always see the traffic behind me. Everybody says "there are two kinds of cyclists, ones that love the varia radar and ones who haven't tried it."

I have mine paired with my watch, so every time there's a car behind me it vibrates noticably on my wrist. Seriously every time, it never misses a moving car ever. Catches motorcycles and faster bikes too.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    ...My choice, my life. never wore one as a kid either and somehow me and all the neighborhood kids survived? You can wear all the safety gear around and still get run over by a mack truck and flattened.

You can also wear a seatbelt in car and get killed by a truck - I still wear one though. :)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If there are bears, carry a whistle and wear bells like hikers do.
    There’s a feature in many phones where you can send your location to someone and they can track where you are.
    As far as kidnapping or crime, it depends where you ride.
    Yes wear a helmet, it could save your life or save you from becoming a paraplegic or otherwise disabled or brain injured from an accident. For many that’s a worse prospect than instant death. It’s not just “your life” as one idiot said above. Your injuries affect those around you, consume emergency and health resources etc etc.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Would make him feel better if you carried some pepper spray maybe
  • jjlbrick
    jjlbrick Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I like to ride my bike for fun and exercise. Sometimes my husband and I ride together but our work schedule doesn't always allow that. So I'll go alone.
    He doesn't like me going alone because he says it's dangerous and I could get kidnapped hurt or even...bears
    I carry my cellphone with me always and before I met him I used to go alone
    Do you think it's unsafe for a woman to ride bike alone?
    Safety tips?

I ride alone frequently, been cycling since 1980. I also live in a rural Area. The autos in my area are used to slow moving tractors. The large farm equipment is scary behind me on the road. I’ve been known to pull off on shoulder let them pass.
    I tell my spouse where I’m going Strava has a safety contact where I send my family an email they can follow where I’m at. If I stop for very long (lunch etc) they text.
    Wear bright clothing, lights you know your area you live in. Pepper spray good idea.
    If you plan to ride much learn how to do some bike repair, flat tire repair etc carry a few tools. Patch kit. That way If you break down you you can repair it don’t have to ask strangers for help.
    Can’t help you with bears. I guess if I saw one on a bike I’d ride a great deal faster.
    I have been hit a couple times by motor vehicles I wasn’t seriously injured but the last time I’m sure the helmet saved me from serious head injury. I took a fall one time, broke helmet in 7 places.
    if you don’t feel safe outside by the trainer you put your bike on it ride inside.

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    ...My choice, my life. never wore one as a kid either and somehow me and all the neighborhood kids survived? You can wear all the safety gear around and still get run over by a mack truck and flattened.

You can also wear a seatbelt in car and get killed by a truck - I still wear one though. :)

good for you...I wear one too.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Probably the most dangerous situation is earbuds. It’s a good idea to be alert, and aware of your surroundings. Being able to hear what’s happening around you could save your life. You’re sharing the road with vehicles, other bicycle riders, joggers, walkers and animals (wild and domestic) that have the potential for accidental encounters/accidents.

Others here have good suggestions. IE: helmet, cell phone (not always great service, especially rural), pepper spray, and if possible, letting someone know when you expect to return.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I like to ride my bike for fun and exercise. Sometimes my husband and I ride together but our work schedule doesn't always allow that. So I'll go alone.
    He doesn't like me going alone because he says it's dangerous and I could get kidnapped hurt or even...bears
    I carry my cellphone with me always and before I met him I used to go alone
    Do you think it's unsafe for a woman to ride bike alone?
    Safety tips?

Is the real consideration the area when you live? If its a usually a high risk area for crime, particularly violence on the steets, I wouldn't feel safe and probably wouldn't venture too far on my own. If its usually a safe area, I would feel safe but would remain aware of what is going on around me when out and about.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I go out for a walk every day, mostly evenings, on my own as I live on my own. So I walk on my own or not at all.

My regular walk takes an hour and a half and occasionally I am back as late as 10:30pm and I have never once felt at threat as I guess I simply see where I live as "safe". In fact I think it is fair to say I hardly give my safety a moment's thought although of course I would instantly pay attention if someone or something gave me any cause for concern but it has not happened yet.

But then we do not have bears (south coast UK) and instead I see foxes, hedgehogs, cats and once a badger, as well as other folks just out for their exercise or walking their dogs.

I would admit that in the dark I would not venture up into the local woods and instead stick to streets, so I guess that shows I do in fact, if subconsciously, give where I go some thought depending on the time of day.

I cannot imagine though, for one second, being "kidnapped". Such a thought would never have entered my head. Does that really happen? I mean often enough to have to factor it in to ones day to day existence?

But ultimately, it is a function of where you live - surely?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    I cannot imagine though, for one second, being "kidnapped". Such a thought would never have entered my head. Does that really happen? I mean often enough to have to factor it in to ones day to day existence?

But ultimately, it is a function of where you live - surely?

It is not an everyday occurrance and it is very gender specific, but it does happen pretty regularly.

My wife and I live in a large metropolitan area and yes, it does happen around here. One of her nieces was walking home from school one day and was almost forced into a van that was cruising the neighborhood. If the neice had not had a friend with her, we would probably have lost her that day.

As far as riding safety goes, the biggest considerations for me (I ride 5 days a week):
    1. Be very aware of cars if you are on the street (it is not unusual to have cars pass me closely enough that I could touch the car without stretching)
    2. Wildlife - most of the wildlife I see is small (rabbits, squirrels, dogs and cats) so no real worries about being attacked, but you do need to be aware of them (I have had both rabbits and squirrels bolt across the path in front of me making me swerve to avoid them)
    3. People are the biggest issue I have - I do most of my riding on a multi-purpose path and people who are walking tend to be unaware of the bikes and will not allow enough room for passing (or move directly into the path of the bike when I announce that I am passing them!). I have been forced to go off-path many times to avoid crashing into people.
    4. I have a front light and a tail light - makes me more visible to everyone on the path or road.
    5. I always wear a helmet - not for the truck flattening me, but for the dog/rabbit/squirrel that takes my wheel out and flips me off the bike.
    6. My wife always knows when I go and when I should be back - I let her know if I have difficulties on the ride (like flats or other issues with the bike).
    7. I always have my phone with me (see #6).
    8. I always carry id - if something really bad happens, the emergency people will know who I am and how to contact my wife.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Generally, I'd say it's safe to ride alone, but I think the safety measures you take depends on your local area.

You mention bears...not sure if you're joking or if you live in an area with bear activity, but a can of pepper spray could help defend against wildlife or human threats. You could mount it to your bike so it's easily accessible if you should need it.

I never wear earbuds when I walk or ride alone. I like to be fully aware of my surroundings and able to hear if cars or people approach me. I don't want to be distracted by music or podcasts.

To make your husband feel better, let him know when you are leaving and when you plan on returning. Send him a quick text when you get back.

Since you already bring your cellphone, make sure that you have solid cell service in the area that you are riding.

I think it is important to ride in an area and at times where there are at least a few other people around. My cousin recently was riding her horse in a pretty remote area. She was thrown and briefly knocked out. She regained consciousness in a few minutes, but if she hadn't, I'm not sure how long it would have been until someone found her.

We have bears
    My husband hunts deer and has seen bears
    When riding up our road we've seen muddy tracks on the road that look like bear tracks
    We have crappy cell service up this way so I can't guarantee good cell service but I take my phone with me

Do you walk around outside? How do you protect yourself from bears when on foot? Is the issue that you're riding onto trails that create greater risk (if you've got bears on your roads, I'm not sure how riding is that much more risk than just living there unless you drive your car into a garage and never actually go into the out of doors without being encased in a car.

Does your husband believe he can fight off a bear and protect you if he is with you? How are you safer with him than alone when it comes to bears?

I'm not sure how much good cellphone service would protect you from a bear. I guess it would be nice to be able to call 911 if the bear just mauls you but leaves you alive and leaves.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »

Or you could wear a helmet and a seatbelt and the earth could be hit by a planet-killing meteor or comet.

I don't understand the logic that says if some measure isn't 100% effective in completely protecting me, it's not worth bothering.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US? Kidnapping, statistically speaking, seems to be rare. Missing persons are not as rare, and of course if they're still missing no one knows why, but to me it seems likely that many are missing voluntarily, have sadly committed suicide, etc.

According to several sources, US kidnappings of adults were estimated (by the FBI) to be somewhere in the 300s annually in recent years (not 300 thousands, but literally 300s)**. LIkely there is some regional variation in probability. The US uniform crime reporting stats**** don't break out kidnapping separately. As far as missing persons, there were about 87,500 active cases as of 12/31/2019******, but that's all open cases, not just new ones that year - more info at the link below about new/closed cases for the year).

I suspect at least some states may publish relevant stats.

** https://www.reuters.com/article/us-wisconsin-missinggirl-data/kidnapped-children-make-headlines-but-abduction-is-rare-in-u-s-idUSKCN1P52BJ
    **** https://crime-data-explorer.fr.cloud.gov/
    ****** https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/cjis-link/fbi-releases-2019-missing-person-statistics

I like data. So sue me. 😆 Takes like 2 minutes to find this stuff.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Telling a woman not to do something out of fear of what other people might do is part of the problem. Education and empowerment is the best approach, not repression and control.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I think you will be perfectly fine by yourself. Take your phone