Stressing about protein

Options
All my protein sources have either fat or carbs or both, but I’m not going to go back to eating meat. Any fellow vegetarians in the same boat? What do you do?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    If your worry is that you're going over on carbs and fats, don't. The default macros are just a guideline. Personally, I make sure I'm getting adequate protein (for me, that's 0.6-0.8g per lb of goal weight, for you it may just be the MFP default protein amount for now), then so long as I'm within my calorie allowance, what makes up the rest isn't that big a deal (there is a minimum fat intake for good health).

Calories are what matter for weight loss. So long as you are getting that bit right, you have plenty of time to work out what suits you best in terms of macros.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I'm cool with my food having more than one nutrient...

Since you're vegetarian, the only protein source I can think of with zero or almost no fat and carbs would be egg whites. Maybe certain protein powders. Tofu is fairly low in fat, too.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I supplement with protein shakes. Many sources drastically overestimate protein requirements.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,180 Member
    Options
    I make it a point to get adequate protein, and am the (seemingly rare) person who can get too little fat if she doesn't pay attention . . . then whatever carbs come along with the ride are fine with me, if the whole thing fits in my calorie goal.

I like the 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight approximation, too, but now in maintenance I just shoot for a minimum of 100g protein and usually exceed it.

I'm ovo lacto veg, though so a fair amount of my protein comes from dairy, but there are also a lot of other sources in a typical day.

What do you see as the problem with getting fats and carbs? Are you running out of calories before you get enough protein, or something like that?
  • WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I make it a point to get adequate protein, and am the (seemingly rare) person who can get too little fat if she doesn't pay attention . . . then whatever carbs come along with the ride are fine with me, if the whole thing fits in my calorie goal.

I like the 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight approximation, too, but now in maintenance I just shoot for a minimum of 100g protein and usually exceed it.

I'm ovo lacto veg, though so a fair amount of my protein comes from dairy, but there are also a lot of other sources in a typical day.

What do you see as the problem with getting fats and carbs? Are you running out of calories before you get enough protein, or something like that?

I ran out of calories on Tuesday despite exercising for 45 minutes. The last three days have been OK.

If I went by the 0.6 gram per pound of goal weight, my daily requirement would be 120 grams. My goal weight is 200 (which doesn’t sound good but I’m 5’10” and weigh 367 right now).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I ran out of calories on Tuesday despite exercising for 45 minutes. The last three days have been OK.

If I went by the 0.6 gram per pound of goal weight, my daily requirement would be 120 grams. My goal weight is 200 (which doesn’t sound good but I’m 5’10” and weigh 367 right now).

Using the top of healthy BMI might be better for you then, though 120g is perfectly doable. I'm vegetarian, probably have a lower calorie goal than you given differences in height and weight, and can hit that (albeit by incorporating protein shakes).
  • WildColonialGirl
    WildColonialGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thinking this over, I think I could give a more helpful answer (though I'd still like to know the answers to the questions I asked above). It sounds like you're a relatively new/transitional vegetarian.

As preface, I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 46+ years, so I have a little experience. 😆 Personally, I do use quite a bit of dairy, but I'm pretty certain I could hit my current protein target using only plant foods. I just don't wanna. 😉

If your goal is weight loss, and you're logging, here's are a couple of general strategies:

1. Log what you're eating for a few typical days. Look at your diary. Note things that are "costing" relatively many calories, but not providing much protein. Could you reduce or eliminate any of those foods, and replace them with other foods you enjoy eating, but that would better help you meet your nutritional goals (in this case, more protein)? For example, if you're eating rice, consider quinoa or chickpea "rice". If you're eating pasta, consider chickpea or pea pasta. If you're eating something like udon or other Asian-style noodles, consider edamame or black-bean noodles. If you like bread, seek out relatively higher-protein brands. Consider veggies with relatively more protein (broccoli, spinach, beans, peas, etc.) over veggies with little protein. Consider snacks like crispy chickpeas, broadbeans, dry-roasted soybeans. And so forth.

2. Rethink meal planning, in contrast to what you may've done when eating a more meat-centric diet. Most everyday omnivores think of the meat as the meal ("What's for dinner?" "Burgers." "Chicken." "Pork chops." etc.). As a vegetarian, it's still a good thing to have a major protein source in each meal (and *every* meal, BTW). But it's very helpful to think about including protein-containing foods in other roles in your meals/snacks, too. (This goes with point #1, above.) Those little bits of protein here and there add up, over the course of a day, and make a good contribution to the total. Since many of our protein sources are incomplete (in terms of essential amino acid (EAA) profile), it's good to use a variety over time, and avoid lots of repetition. For similar reasons, IMO smart vegetarians try to eat on the higher end of a sensible protein intake to the extent possible, because that will help contribute to getting adequate EAA completeness over time. (People will tell you that protein complementarity is not necessary. I believe this to be incorrect: We don't need perfect amino acid profiles in each and every meal, but we do need them over time, and I don't mean months, but more like hours to a very few days.)

Beyond that, a few ideas about specific foods. I've mentioned some.

I'd encourage thoughtfulnss about fake meats. I don't think they're evil, but some faux meats are marketed as such because they're trying to have meat-similar flavor/texture. They may or may not have meaningful protein levels for the number of calories. Pay explicit attention to that, if protein matters to you. Jackfruit may be a tasty sandwich substitute for pulled pork, for example, but it has very little protein.

Beyond fake meats (which I neither like nor use), there are various foods that are helpful. I won't get into dairy or eggs, since I don't know whether you eat those, and I suspect you're familiar with the options. Beyond that, various traditional soy products like tempeh, tofu, tofu noodles, etc., can be helpful, and they're commonly available in a huge variety of forms for various uses. Seitan (wheat gluten) is another good traditional protein source. All types of beans and legumes are good, and you'll find small variations in nutrition between them. I already mentioned things like chickpea pasta and "rice", edamame pasta, etc. There are seasoning add-ins that also add protein. Consider reduced-fat peanut butter powder or almond butter powder (good in sauces, smoothies, etc.), nutritional yeast, miso of various types, for example.

Obviously, plant-based protein powders, bars, etc., are options. I don't personally mostly find those things tasty or satisfying, so I don't use them. Others may have recommended types/brands.

This is a good resource for identifying calorie-efficient sources of protein: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods by protein efficiency, i.e., most protein for fewest calories. The top of the list is very meaty/fishy, but if you keep scrolling, you'll find plant sources as well, further down the list. That's a good way to deal with point #1 above, to find enjoyable foods that give you a bit more protein.

Best wishes!

I’ve actually been ovo-lacto for three years and pescetarian for 15 years before that. I love vegan food but not the vegan lifestyle.
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I increase my protein levels with plain Skyr yoghourt. I try to have it every day
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure a rule of thumb that bases protein grams on "goal weight" assumes a goal weight that will put you within the range of a healthy BMI for your height. That's not a criticism of your goal. It's a warning not to take a rule of thumb out of the context in which it is normally applied.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

@AnnPT77 you are the only other person I know who doesn’t hit their fat without trying 😊

I am not vegan or vegetarian, but evidently most of my food choices were just low in fat. I recently changed my cottage cheese at lunch to a whole milk cottage cheese to help increase my fat intake a little bit.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian but I have never tried to limit carbs or fats specifically- my focus has always been on calories. I have several different kinds of vegan protein powder and that helps alot in terms of reaching my protein quota, another thing I like is quest bars. Some people may be very uncomfortable with protein powders and quest bars because they are processed and aren't whole foods, but I don't stress about it. My vegan protein powders are pretty ''çlean'' I suppose so that helps. I am paranoid about losing lean muscle mass while dieting so I'm always going to jump on the protein powder bandwagon now, because I have lost alot of muscle in the past when calorie restricting and i'm not making the same mistake twice.