The dangers of PROCESSED meats.

Options
124»

Replies

• 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    I did get it, yep.

Still waiting to hear how vegetables and vegan TV dinners with the same additives are not being painted with the same brush.

These things always turn into carnivore vs herbivore when it should be mankind vs chemicals

I'm sure they are if you looked at a study of them. But the OP clearly stated that recommendations were based on clinical studies, so naturally the recommendations would only be for the target of the studies, which in this case seems to be processed meat.

I never once replied or addressed the OP, my original response was to someone who read this thread and blamed meat in general.

Please read the history of my posts, you have my meaning incorrectly captured.

Thanks
  • 8rules
    Options
    8 rules, this article is not posted for the reasons of "vegetarians slamming meat" which is exactly why I put PROCESSED meat in ALL CAPITALS in the headline. To specify that this is about PROCESSED meats which are very harmful to your body due to the things that are done to the meat vs. meat in its natural form.

Again, my posts were addressing not the original poster, but someone who read the original post and simply blackballed all meat.

Not sure what else to say.

We are on the SAME page. The issue is processing, not what we we process.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    quote]
    Wow, so he has to read junk science like "The China Study" to be open minded?

...and your credientials for calling it "junk science" would be...??

I have a brain.
    If a wolf wrote a book about sheep, IM sure said wolf would use loaded studies as proof sheep are nutritious.
    So when a vegan writes a book about nutrition... Well
    [/quote]

I have a brain as well, but we won't get into a pissing contest about whose is bigger. :)

He did not start out vegan. He only stopped eating meat 15 years before he wrote the book. And the book details MANY other studies which prove the connection between animal protein and disease. Of course the American Dairy Association, the Cattlemen's Assocation, etc. etc. don't want us to suspect a connection, but I believe it's there, and believed it even before I read this eye-opening book. You say you are open minded but all you do is trash the book without having read it. That is NOT open-mindedness by any definition. I am not pushing my way of life, I only offered the book and the film as resources for anyone who might be interested in living a long, healthy life devoid of dead animal flesh...which by the way, I consumed for many years. So I'm not exactly a novice on this subject. I ate meat and loved it, but I've evolved past that now. If you don't want to, that is your perogative, but don't call yourself open-minded if you are not willing to at least read the book or at the very least watch the film. :)
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If true than why isn't it being yanked off the shelves?

Hey, we still sell cigarettes LOL

true, in my world I think those should be illegal. My mom died a month before my wedding. She had been sick for a while with emphsema. Smoked for 40 years. ITs horrible to admit but my level of respect always drops for someone when I find out that they smoke.
  • 8rules
    Options
    Wow, so he has to read junk science like "The China Study" to be open minded?

...and your credientials for calling it "junk science" would be...??

I have a brain.
    If a wolf wrote a book about sheep, IM sure said wolf would use loaded studies as proof sheep are nutritious.
    So when a vegan writes a book about nutrition... Well

Here is an excellent critism of the China Study written by a raw food advocate, which examines the actual data.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

Here is a choice quote.

Check that out! Fish protein looks weakly protective all-around; non-fish animal protein is neutral for coronary heart disease/heart attacks and stroke but associates positively with hypertensive heart disease (related to high blood pressure); and plant protein actually correlates fairly strongly with heart attacks and coronary heart disease. (The China Study documented two variables related to plant protein: one from a lab analysis of foods eaten in each county, and one from a diet survey given to county citizens.)

The numbers, when crunched without bias and cherry picking, actually tell another story that differs from the conclusions of the study author.

However, this article kindly links to the original data, so you can go follow the statistical analysis for yourself. No need to take anyone's word for it.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If true than why isn't it being yanked off the shelves?

Hey, we still sell cigarettes LOL

true, in my world I think those should be illegal. My mom died a month before my wedding. She had been sick for a while with emphsema. Smoked for 40 years. ITs horrible to admit but my level of respect always drops for someone when I find out that they smoke.

It used to be extremely hard for people to correlate smoking with cancer and other diseases. As it is now with certain [chemicals in] foods causing disease. It's easy to deny it when you are addicted to it. I was a smoker until my dad died from lung cancer. It woke me up and I quit cold turkey. It turned my entire life around. Yet I still felt like quitting smoking wasn't enough...there was MORE I could do to prevent it happening to me. Like eating more whole, organic foods free of chemicals. Like exercising and avoiding known toxins as much as possible (sure it's not always possible, but a lot of times there is a choice). Maybe someday more people will be able to accept (like with smoking) that we are what we eat (or consume). :)
  • mattellis2
    Options
    tagged for later
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    All these posts seem to do is make me hungry for bacon. MMMMMmmm, Bacon....