Greek yogurt...I'm new to it.

Options

Replies

• glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    greek yogurts great but generally any yogurt is good with me as long as it is low in fat and sugar,but I try not to have slimmers sugar as its not really natural I love it with fresh raspberries or blueberries
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. I am in Canada so I buy Librerte fat free plain. I do love most of the flavors but they add so much sugar. So I usually buy plain and add my own fruit and/ or sweeten with either honey or agave nector.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yoghurt. I prefer Chobani, the pomegranet flavour..mmmmmmmmm I
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with yogurt, too. I tend to like Breyer's, Dannon, and Activia. I can only do the full fat versions because I feel sick eating the low fat ones. (They add things to it.) I did try the Chobani Black Cherry yogurt and thought that was quite good. I had another brand once that made me swear never to go Greek again, but I relented. Trader Joe's has a squeezable organic yogurt. That one is very tasty! If you pop it in the freezer, it makes a nice frozen treat, too! I would say this one is my favorite.
  • tsumpter
    Options
    I like the Fage Greek Yogurt Plain. I take fresh blueberries with alittle water and warm them up on the stove. Just enough that the natural sugars open up. Once cooled I add the berries & the natural syrup to my yogurt. YUM
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt in place of sour cream for ranch dressing and for stroganoff.

I like the honey vanilla flavor in smoothies with strawberries, mango and pineapple.
  • njoithomp
    Options
    I literally just finished the Yo Greek brand blueberry and granola yogurt and I LOVED it! I had the vanilla one before and I wasn't such a fan. I think that the vanilla is lacking flavor in that brand. I am an avid yogurt eater and find that the regular yogurts are pretty much all very similar in texture and flavor but with the Greek yogurt, it varies totally. You would probably have luck if you just keep tyring different ones until you find the one you LOVE.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Love any of the Chobani non-fat varieties except plain. I would only use plan in recipies or smoothlies were I'm adding in my own fruit/flavor.

I used to only eat non-fat Yoplait 100 calorie options but after having greek for awhile it tasted HORRIBLE!!!!! No contest. It is all Greek for me!

(FYI - I tried the Dannon Oikos fruit on the bottom flavors and I didn't like them as well. Not bad and less money but I much prefer Chobani...sorry John Stamos :laugh: )
  • msjamartin
    Options
    double post - sorry
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is awesome-- so much more protein than regular yogurt! I buy the large tub of Fage (pronounced Fa-Yeh), plain, non-fat, and I like to add a little bit of agave nectar. Agave nectar is sweet but lower on the glycemic scale than honey. It is also easier to stir in... I usually add something crunchy, too, like bran buds or granola.
    A second for plain Fage in the 4 cup tub. I buy the 0%. I usually eat it with just a packet of Splenda, but someone turned me on to adding 1/2 scoop of vanilla protein powder, too. Yum!

I also add some granulated onion and garlic and a pinch of salt and use it as a dip. It's great in or on anything that calls for sour cream, on top of baked potatoes and Mexican food.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like Fage the best. I usually eat the plain 0%fat. I eat it with my cereal. Also sometimes I will just add some splenda and cinnimon or nutmeg, it has a nice creamy texture.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The plain yogurt with a teaspoon of apricot sugar free preserves mixed in is really good....you can choose any flavor of preserves...as long as its sugar/fat free!!
  • stackopaper
    Options
    I like all of the Greek yogurt flavors, but stay away from them most of the time due to the amount of sugars. I like the Greek Gods brand. It come in the large tub size. The honey flavor is awesome, but I usually buy plain and add blueberries. My husband add Trader Joe's Low Sugar Jam to his yogurt. We also use plain yogurt to replace sour cream for Mexican food and mayo in homemade salad dressing.
  • mjemerson
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the replies!! I see a lot of you guys suggest flavored ones. The only reason I am doing the plain is for the less calories and less sugar because stevia adds nothing and has no glycemic index. This is all great info though! Who knew yogurt was such a hit!!
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I love Greek Yogurt! I'm a new fan! I love the Dannon Oikios, because the price is right. But I've tried Fage... YUM.. and Athenos is really good in the snack cups. (strawberry.... so good)

Usually I eat it as a treat. 1/2 cup yogurt Plain, with a couple teaspoons of preserves or honey. Top with real fruit (berries, or peaches are fab) or top with some Bear Naked fit Granola (about a tablespoon).

My sister's splurge is Greek yogurt mixed with a little light or fat free caramel sauce and a sprinkle of granola.

It also is tasty as a sour cream substitute on Mexican based food, or on a small potato.

Great in smoothies! Makes your smoothie so creamy and adds a nice filling depth to it.

Also try mixed with some salsa or pico as a veggie dip.

Enjoy!
  • jennyonthespot
    jennyonthespot Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Fage brand is awesome! I love pretty much all of the flavors that I've tried so far. Strawberry, cherry, cherry with some freaky-deaky fruit I don't immediately recall, blueberry... Haven't had a bad one yet. I don't really care for the flavor or consistency of the Dannon one, but I really like Chobani pineapple flavor. I don't care too much about the sugar content. I usually just compensate by not having as much the rest of the day. It's a great filling breakfast for me. Welcome to the greek yogurt fan club!
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Fage and i eat a bunch of it

Greek Yogurt + Cheesecake or choc fudge SF/FF Instant Pudding mix + berries = nom nom nom

drool.................. stealing this idea.......
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Chobani and Voskos greek yogurt is my favorite. I like to add a tsp of honey and blueberries or strawberries to the plain greek yogurt. Lately, I like the flavored Chobani(pomegranate is amazing) but kind of high in sugar.

It makes a great snack because it's filling!

I also use the plain greek yogurt (low fat) to marinate chicken, add dill or rosemary, garlic, lemon juice, and tbsp olive oil, grill it and serve with pita bread and tzatzaki sauce. Sooo good!

I also use it anywhere I would use sour cream like taco salad tonight. :smile:

And I also use it to make salad dressing: in a blender add 3/4 cup vanilla low fat greek yogurt, half a pear, tsp dijon mustard, few dashes of red wine vineagar, and garlic. Makes a lot but it's great on salad greens.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I like the flavored Chobani's and Fage's and will usually eat them as they are. I also like the plain Fage and will add fresh fruit (banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, oranges, etc.) and granola to it to make it a more substantial meal. I haven't tried a greek yogurt I didn't like, but usually buy the ones that are the best value.
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like Dannon Oikios the best all the flavors, its not quiet as tangy as some of the others I have tried, Chobani is my next fav, the black cherry is really good!!

I'm with her -- Oikios is my favorite and of the flavors, I like blueberry, honey, and black cherry the best. I actually don't mind any type of yogurt, but you cannot beat the protein you will get in greek yogurt!