Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Honest opinions on weight loss surgery

Replies

• OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Jetrail wrote: »
    Hi , i was looking for some honest opinions on weight loss surgeries such as gastric bypass and sleeves etc. While it's great people are bettering their health do you feel the person who makes hard lifestyle changes and loses the weight on their own works harder ? Is it wrong to feel that way? . I guess to me when you decide to change your lifestyle and really grind for what you want health wise it seems slot harder vs losing weight with surgical help, maybe I'm wrong but I'd like some opinions, like I said it's still grwat when anyone betters their lifestyle

Maybe it depends on why you're doing it? I have a friend who had to get it because she had to lose the weight quickly to save her life. It worked and she's doing wonderfully.

And then there's those for whom weight loss is a major issue (see MY 600 POUND LIFE) where there's also a time factor in saving the life or in controlling diabetes.

But if a person can demonstratively lose the weight, why put yourself through that pain? I knew a woman years ago who needed to lose 100 pounds. And she had no threatening conditions. She just wanted to get thinner faster.

She ended up with a bunch of sagging skin (which can happen and has happened to me without surgery, but not as badly).

She then went back to her old ways and regained 50. I felt very bad for her!

This is just my opinion based on what I've seen. It really seems to be a matter of why you want it as to whether or not you should get it.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    If you make no lifestyle changes then this will just be a temporary fix, I've seen people do this and lose a ton of weight only to gain most of it back many years later. I have also seen it cause health issues, like bowel obstruction.
  • cinger0439
    cinger0439 Posts: 6 Member
    Why are we spending time judging each other via a procedure? Doesn't the world do that enough? I suggest each person do the research, understand what works best for themselves, and does what they need to do. Sharing stories on personal journey's and supporting each other seems more productive and human to me.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    cinger0439 wrote: »
    Why are we spending time judging each other via a procedure? Doesn't the world do that enough? I suggest each person do the research, understand what works best for themselves, and does what they need to do. Sharing stories on personal journey's and supporting each other seems more productive and human to me.

I think there are multiple threads on WLS in the "Motivation and Support" area. Those are going to be geared towards what you're looking for. This is the "Debate" section, where we tend to get more into our personal opinions and assessment of the overall pros and cons of things.

Besides, @cinger0439 this is a two year old thread. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    cinger0439 wrote: »

I think there are multiple threads on WLS in the "Motivation and Support" area. Those are going to be geared towards what you're looking for. This is the "Debate" section, where we tend to get more into our personal opinions and assessment of the overall pros and cons of things.

Besides, @cinger0439 this is a two year old thread. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Haha, oops! Completely missed that!
  • aimeekate19
    aimeekate19 Posts: 4 Member
    I see this a lot on Instagram. It's the "I lost weight naturally" statement that drives me up the wall. Weight loss surgery is just a tool. That's it. Almost all of the people I personally know that have had it (some the sleeve and a few the gastric bypass - RouxNY) grind it out in the gym on the regular and watch what they eat. The one or two that don't do this have gained back quite a bit of the weight. One is almost at the same weight she was when she got the surgery. By 4 years out, the sleeved patient's stomach has gotten big enough that if they make bad choices when eating, they will gain weight just as easily as someone who has not had the surgery. Sure, they lose weight rapidly in the beginning - they're only allowed to eat first liquids and then soft foods. Their stomach is still healing and swollen for quite a while after surgery. After that initial period, more effort has to be expended.

Sure, you could easily see this as a waste of money but for the vast amount of people that get this done, it does save their life and create new and healthier habits.

If you only remember one thing from my post, it's this - everyone has to work at losing weight, whether they have had the surgery or not. It's just the tools they use to do it don't look the same.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm under the impression someone who gets surgery has to be even more diligent, plus survive and recover from a surgery.