Looking back I don't actually think I was fat.

Squatcleananddeadlift
Squatcleananddeadlift Posts: 49 Member
edited March 2021 in Motivation and Support
When I was in my teens and early twenties my dad/brothers/friend was a bit off an an *kitten* and told me I was fat. In my early twenties I weighed in the region of 10 stone 4lb to 10 stone 7lb. I tried everything to drop 10lb and I could never really manage it. When I was 25 I met my now wife (I am female) and we often discussed my desire to lose weight. I think because I was so adamant I needed to lose it she adopted that thought process as well. One day I asked her if she thought I was fat because she kept doing that thing that people do "Let's lose weight together" etc etc. She said she felt I was overweight and that I could do with losing some. 7 years later low and behold I am now in the region of 13 stone 10lb to 14 stone. I look back at photos of myself and just wish I could go back there and realise I wasn't fat. I wish I had the confidence to say to people no I am fine leave me alone. I didn't and now I do need to lose the pounds. I am so frustrated when I think that I let people talk to me like that or let me believe I was enormous.

I realise this is all my doing and I can't blame everyone else. But I did honestly believe as a child that I was huge and I wasn't - I was so so so normal sized. As a young adult I did need to lose 10lb but it was nothing like now.

Replies

• Panda3270
    Panda3270 Posts: 25 Member
    Thank you for sharing. My experience was similar in that people (family members, "friends", and others) said certain things about my weight when I was a child and through my 20's. I also look back at pictures, and I'm like "I wasn't even that big". Oh well. I no longer have an unhealthy view of myself because of what others think. I try to focus on healthy choices, and am slowly losing weight, so that I feel better.
  • 1chesc
    1chesc Posts: 152 Member
    @Squatcleananddeadlift I can really empathise with you. Throughout my teenage years I really thought I was fat (I was comparing myself with under weight family members) at 19 I was a healthy weight at 10st 4lbs but I genuinely thought I was fat.

When I was in my early 20s my weight increased and I looked to fad diets as a solution (they don't work) eventually I reached 13st.

I managed to loose 1 stone 10lbs when I was 27 but after alot of stress I went back to old habits and my weight increased to 13st 7lbs.

Although I was disappointed when I put the weight back on, i have learnt more about myself and gained more understanding on how my mental health effects my physical health.

When lockdown started I was furloughed from work so I used the time to start walking and focusing on my diet. Since March I have managed to loose 2st 5lbs. I am now back at work (working from home) so I have less time to go walking so my weight loss has slowed but I have continued to log my food and try my best to stay within my calorie goal.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I am similar. I was called fat my entire childhood by friends but my BMI was always around 19-20. I was being compared to my underweight peers.