Any thoughts on MFP being sold?

Options
jmf552
jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
"Under Armour announced this morning that it will be selling MyFitnessPal to investment firm Francisco Partners for $345 million, five and a half years after acquiring it for $475 million."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/30/under-armour-to-sell-myfitnesspal-for-345-million-after-acquiring-it-in-2015-for-475-million/

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I just hope they send us a survey form so we can give them some ideas. Helloooo, after a loss like that...new ideas are good medicine.
  • Miss_Chiev0us
    Miss_Chiev0us Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    So does that mean they sold us too?
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options
    I just hope they revamp the recipe sharing
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Strava recently gutted their “for-free” accounts in favor of a paid subscription model.
    Personally, I can track my own weight and watch my meals, but losing the community support and friends would hurt me the most. The MapMyFitness/Run/Walk/Ride family of apps is much less community centric. I’ll watch for now and hope for the best.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    So does that mean they sold us too?

Hmmm, wonder what we're worth? Buck fifty?

@Slade51 Same here. The community has been my support, my post, through all of this madness, and before.
    I've got paper/pencil for tracking calories. The comradery is the backbone of any forum. JMO

Wait and see and hope for the best. Not much else we can do is there?
  • Tomas_Gato
    Tomas_Gato Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If that investment firm was smart they would rent mfp instead of purchasing. They would save millions that way.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Tell them the deal is off. Gut it out. Wait. Go out with a bang instead of a loss.
  • Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My guess... in the long(er) run...

- The 'free' stuff will become more limited
    - The platform will eventually change

Time will tell.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I just hope they don't void the rustproofing warranty I purchased when I signed up for premium.

Did Wade get you the TruKote?
  • ermengarde22
    ermengarde22 Posts: 2,116 Member
    Options
    i think this the second of third time mfp was bought/sold and it’s still round so idk

prolly more ads, maybe paywall before lurkers can see forums
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    J_NY_Z wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I just hope they don't void the rustproofing warranty I purchased when I signed up for premium.

Did Wade get you the TruKote?

@J_NY_Z

..... you know, there can be serious oxidation problems without it.

nobody should drive a Tan Ciera without TruKote !
  • J_NY_Z
    Options
    @Motorsheen we had a deal to sell MFP for Ninteen Five!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    i think this the second of third time mfp was bought/sold and it’s still round so idk

prolly more ads, maybe paywall before lurkers can see forums

I was just thinking along those same lines this morning. (Yeh, I have no life) :)
    This is a premium diet/exercise/healthy living site, companies should be falling all over themselves to place their ads here. Heck, my PCP recommended MFP to me and told me many people had good luck with this place. I'd also wondered about TPTB charging rates to enter the forums. I know some boards let you read but you cannot post without being a member so.....
    Anyways, still hoping for the best. All I know is if the plug got pulled here, that'd just be the straw/camel/Covid/2020/you know.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    @Motorsheen we had a deal to sell MFP for Ninteen Five!

Okay, alright...I'll talk to my boss, but you know... they factory install that TruKote, there's not much we can do about it.... I'll talk to my boss.
  • J_NY_Z
    Options
    @Motorsheen You got any tickets?
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    Maybe it won't be a public forum anymore. Maybe they will start charging for the app to be downloaded and it will all remain the same. Maybe all the banned people will be allowed to come back.. Maybe I just don't really care at all what happens. In the end, all the people I care to be in touch with I can talk to them outside of here if this place ever disappears.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    @Motorsheen You got any tickets?

Are you Kidding ??
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Maybe it won't be a public forum anymore. Maybe they will start charging for the app to be downloaded and it will all remain the same. Maybe all the banned people will be allowed to come back.. Maybe I just don't really care at all what happens. In the end, all the people I care to be in touch with I can talk to them outside of here if this place ever disappears.

if the forums go away... you can send me cards and letters to the same address that we use for the underwear exchange.