WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,776 Member
    Options
    Kim - that sounds like a good match for you and Dylan.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Flea & Debbie- I remember having a hair trim in December 2019. I told my hair cutter that I planned to let it grow so she helped with a gentle shaping. It has been growing ever since. I haven’t had it this long since I got married 50 years ago. I like it and so does DH. :smiley:

Sheri- Do your best to choose healthy foods and be rigorous with portion control. This is like the tale of the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady wins the race to better health. :flowerforyou:

(((Rebecca)))- Good luck for your DH’s biopsy. :heart: Where will he be having his procedure? I will be sending prayers and good thoughts his way and yours. :heart:

Snowflake- When I was a child my mom took me to see Santa at Meier & Franks in Salem, OR. Santa was absolutely amazing and greeted each child, including me, by their first name. Years later I took my kids to see him in Portland, OR. The set was like the one I’d gone to as a child in Salem, and it was just as magical for them as it had been for me. That store has since been renamed Macy’s and Santa’s “set” has been donated to the historical museum in Portland, OR. I have great memories connected with this. :bigsmile:

Kim- You are a pumpkin artist!!! Beautiful work. :star: Dylan seems like a nice person. You are a kind & generous woman to let him stay with you. :heart:

Halloween decorations have been put away and I’ll be bringing down Christmas boxes between Thanksgiving & early December. I love the colorful lights during the dark days of December. They boost my mood. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    Options
    Despite my not believing in Father Christmas, my mother gamely took my brother and me to Oxford and Regent Street every year to see 'the lights', eat hot chestnuts, and see Father Christmas at Hamley's or Selfridges. :D
    I remember riding in a big rocking spaceship to the stars, a Wild West wagon, and Pinocchio's adventure. I think one year we went to both shops! I had to explain to my brother how FC could be at both! ;)
    The presents were never wonderful, but I enjoyed the photos they took. I've never forgotten the spaceship which was quite exciting! :p

Cake has been fed with brandy and wrapped in greaseproof paper. It is now in a tin and will wait for nearer Christmas to be decorated. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,506 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: call credit union with questions, finish IRA w/d form, call eye center pay by phone, call bank about missing credit card statement, post office, bank deposit, Curry Pilot, fast for tomorrow's blood work.
    Bonus: STAS Day 4, watched STAS Day 5 video
    Get to do: bloodwork, dogs to firehall for postings and minutes to history, submit grant pics and receipts, STAS challenge catchup, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Tuesday: bloodwork, call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    New Ways November
    3: Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you: “patrol the perimeter” with the dogs.

Lisa so happy to see you posting again. Baby steps. Patience. Yeah right… ;}
    KJ what a gift to give Peyton’s mama. Well done!
    Annie :love: the expression “grey sparkles”
    Welcome @winsby ! We have a good range of ages here, from “almost 50” all the way up to 80s. Hope the fires in your area are out and didn’t hit your home.
    Rita hope you’re keeping warm ;)
    Fae so happy for your great pressures!
    Allie good luck with the dr’s office and genetic testing. I’m going to ask about it at my next appointment, as my bio mom and half sister both had breast cancer…
    Rebecca sending good vibes for your Chief’s procedure.
    Carol I’m hoping your DnL’s family will be relieved rather than hurt. Perhaps you could FaceTime or Zoom visit a little from your individual meals?
    Ginny in OH thanks for the update, been missing you.
    Kim Brava to you for opening your home to Dylan. What a happy resolution to a nasty event. Shame, shame, shame on the boss.
    Katla and Tracey, I have great memories of going “downtown” to see Santa at Capwell’s in Oakland. It was raining and I thought all the red and green traffic lights were Christmas decorations. Ever since, the first rain of the season has me singing Christmas Carols.
    Heather your description of Johnny’s Christmas Cake has my mouth watering. I’d better go back to sleep, I’m still fasting for tomorrow’s blood work. Holding good thoughts for your upcoming healthcare phone chats.

Missing JanetR, DrKatieBug, Karen in Va, Debbie in W VA, and so many more.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 2, weigh: 2, steps>5491=5847 vits=2 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=3 mfp=2 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=1 dance=0 clean 30 mins=2.5
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant=0 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,967 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Terri- We had a zoom meeting for a city meeting in our town that was hacked by outsiders. I briefly saw an oriental face. I refuse to use my own computer for a public zoom meeting. I don’t want anyone “mining” my computer for financial or other information. :noway:
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I am pretty sure that Zoom has improved their security and there are steps that people can take to improve it's security ... in the settings, passwords, etc.

I had to laugh at "I briefly saw an oriental face"! A fairly high percentage of people living in Australia are Asian. Chances are here, you would indeed see an oriental face. It would be one of your coworkers, fellow students, friends, etc.

If you want to protect your computer, follow these cybersecurity tips:

Passwords, PINs and passphrases
    https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/view-all-content/advice/passwords-pins-and-passphrases

Comparison of password vs passphrase
    https://www.cyber.gov.au/acsc/view-all-content/guidance/comparison-password-vs-passphrase

Passphrases, passwords and PINs
    https://www.getcybersafe.gc.ca/en/secure-your-accounts/passphrases-passwords-and-pins

And just for interest ... this page shows the top 10,000 passwords. If your passwords are on that list, you can be hacked.
    https://www.passwordrandom.com/most-popular-passwords

Cheers!
    M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Very windy here today.

I gave up cutting my hair years ago and now it is down to my waist. Thinner than I would like, but I don't stress about it. It's not hard to care for at all. I put henna on it myself to cover the grey sparkles.

Annie in Delaware

Mine gets cut back to waist length from time to time. The last time was in March just before the shutdown. It shouldn't need a trim again till next March. :)

I also dye my hair. Lately it has been very dark brown underneath and reddish on top.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Regarding shutdown, lockdown etc. ... there are levels that most countries or areas within countries move back and forth through.

Here, we went into something close to a lockdown in April and May where we weren't allowed to travel out of a 30 km radius from where we lived, most businesses were closed, we were encouraged to avoid shopping, and kids were being educated at home. There were several other restrictions as well, like only 5 people at weddings, etc.

We have not been in lockdown at all (yet) with all of the above and being limited to a 5 km radius and 1 hour of exercise at most (like parts of Europe). Melbourne was for a while, but I don't think any other areas of Australia have been.

We've moved through several stages toward opening up, but won't reach Level 1 of opening till December. So we're not in lockdown, we're barely in shutdown, but we're not exactly open yet.

We have just started letting people from other states into our state as of a few days ago. They are supposed to all be tested and tracked but we'll see how it goes. I figure we'll start seeing cases for the first time in about 3 months soon.

25ksgagpnx4n.png

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone uses a meal planning app or any other way of meal planning besides MFP? I'm getting frustrated because I feel like I'd like something where I can make sure I'm eating what I need to by food group, not macronutrients.

Sheri OH

Can you explain more of what you mean by "food group"?
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Short post as I am catching up.

Lisa: Relieved to see your positive posts, and to know that you are on the road to recovery.

Flea: There are different restrictions in each of the four parts of UK. Our schools reopened yesterday after a 2 week extended Halloween (midterm) break. We can still meet indoors with one person from another household, and meet others with social distancing outdoors. Pubs/restaurants can only open for takeaway food. We are in week 3 of the current circuit breaking lockdown.

Karla: I will Zoom on my iPad. I seldom fire up the laptop these days.

Heather: We still do stockings, just for the fun of it. My 8 year old brother told me about Santa when I was about 5. But we didn't let on to our parents. We were worried that they would have just stopped buying us the few gifts we did get.

Fae: Bwahahahaha!!! OMG!!! That prayer? Priceless!!! Good to know that your eye pressure is fine. Hoping the rest gets sorted.

More later. My tummy is grumbling for sustenance. 😂

Page 6 done just 2 more to go.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    New Ways November
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/new-ways-november

"Covid is restricting our lives, but we can find new ways to keep making progress. Trying out new things can actually boost our well-being. When we open up to new ideas, it helps us stay curious and engaged. It can also bring a sense of accomplishment and help to boost our self-confidence and resilience. There are so many ways to learn new things and this month we're encouraging everyone to find new and creative ways to overcome our frustrating situations."

gbdg2db70vgy.png

Tuesday 3 November

Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you.

I spent most of the day outside! Walking, cycling and sitting in the sun, reading.

As it is spring, leaves are becoming darker green and flowers are blooming all over the place.

It was a beautiful sunny day and reached 24C.

While I was sitting outside sunning myself, I decided I'd better do something about my toes. They're painted red now. :)

M in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,272 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Barbara - Fortunately for me, I like Christmas cake, but I don't LOVE it, so might just have one tiny taste. DH has a cake, or hot cross bun every afternoon while I have something savoury. I'm glad when he eats something calorific as it's hard to keep his weight up. :/

Viv - Nice to see you! :D I was thinking about you yesterday.

My brother is going to be a great grandfather for the second time. He is younger than me. So I will be a great, great aunt again. :)

I'm beginning to buy a few gifts for DH for our wedding anniversary later in the month. Most arrived by Amazon this morning. They are really for both of us as they are consumables. >:) The other day we were reminiscing about Crème de Menthe and how marvellous it is when you've got a cold. So that is one of the presents! :D Blast from the past.

Waiting for the nurse to phone.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Viv UK
    It's good to see you! The fireworks here for July 4 started early, too, and kept going for another week, so it's similar here. Not to mention that I was up last night for a bit at midnight, and some idiot was firing off a pistol not far away, sounded like a .22 with a magazine, four or five spaced shots then three or four rapid-fire. Unnerving. Makes me glad we live in a stone house.

Heather
    Hope your nurse call gets you what you need.

All of you, thanks for the welcome back. My better nature tells me that I should look at the last couple of months as a learning opportunity, but mostly, I'm just glad it's largely behind me. Happy because I made it to 5,000 steps yesterday, so the body is starting to catch up to the willing mind. Feel more like myself each day.

Also pleased to be able to take some of the work back off my husband, who has soldiered on, working full time, doing all the housework and cooking, as well as caring for a wife who needed support. Have not mentioned to him that women have done that for eons...
    :smiley:

I can finally get this heartbeat recorder off, and mail it into the VA today. Having something the size of a matchbox stuck to your chest for two weeks, one that you can't get very wet is annoying. And itchy. Looking forward to a nice long hot shower after I pull it off. Heart ultrasound next Tuesday, and hoping there will be no damage from the months of malnutrition.

Like most states, Arkansas coronavirus cases and deaths continue to rise. Thirty people have died in the county where I live, and three percent (2,204) of the county residents have tested positive for the virus so far. #ReasonsIStayHome.

Love,
    Lisa
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Attitude adjustment 10 minutes Fae She on the moonlit patio wearing leggings and a sports bra only at 35 degrees F at 0230 hours PST, drug me from the lowly quagmire of self-pity to the peak of empowerment and self-worth.

Fae
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,740 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Had a pretty restful nights sleep which is amazing..did have some lemon jasmine sleepytime tea and took tylenol around 9 and slept till almost 5..have to go pick up Honer and drop both of them off at groomers ,then go pick Dan up and take him to vote..i did absentee ballot a few weeks ago..
    And as they say may the best man win.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Happy Tuesday! Today my kiddos will be voting on everything. Snacks, books, songs, direction of our walk, etc. I wish our (adult/country) issues were that simple to vote on. I didn't vote ahead/absentee; so I will be doing so, tonight. That is all I will say on the topic. Found this song though and I think the music and lyric are simply beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yU1x-p_OdY
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Trying to avoid any and all news stations today!

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,592 Member
    Options
    E
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤍🖤🤎💜💙💚💛🧡❤️