What Creative way have you all come up with in Exercising, Exercising during Covid19 On A Budget lol

QueenDriventosuccess
QueenDriventosuccess Posts: 116 Member
edited November 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello Everyone Im just curious how everyone tackled exercising during Covid19. I know i myself gained 30lbs during Covid. Gyms were closed, we started ordering take out more and just i guess went in relax Mode. By July i had enough,,, Now im a one income family so I had to be creative since i couldnt go to my gym at my job,, There are to forms of Cardio that i love and that is kickboxing and Zumba or some sort of dance class, I have this old school Turbo fire that i was fed up with so i found Billy blanks Taebo and only a few Zumbas on youtube. I made an effort to work out 5 days a week since July for 30-60 minutes, Now i really want to increase my workouts to an hour,, Only annoying part is why is it so hard to find something decent for free,, Yes i said it for Free. I do squats i tried planks uggh i can only do 20-28 seconds im like uggh i am so week,,, Now im not the most fit person so my upper arm strength sucks lol and im 41 but im on a freaking mission and i need all the help i can get lol, so im just curious how you all have tackled this or if you have suggestions for free videos lol I dont have cable i use a internet station or i would have looked it up there but even those have been corny in the past. I am down 20lbs though so it is doing something Lets chat

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    I simply take it back outside. All of it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited November 2020
    "You are your own gym" Google that... they have the books you can possibly get from the library if cost is an issue.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited November 2020
    The $940 that I spent on my C2 rower is the best "fitness" $ that I ever spent.

Can exercise anytine 24/7 that I care to row.

Far better $ better dpent than the THOUSANDS of $'s spent on lifting and other exercise gear that I"ve spent $ on.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I walk, hike and run outside. It’s free for me because I buy no gear and I don’t wear shoes. Barefoot trail running is my true passion and it’s been instrumental in keeping me fit and maintaining my weight loss for the past 7 years. I don’t generally recommend it though, it fits with my lifestyle and it’s the only way I enjoy running but I’m kind of a weird person :D I did try the gym a long time ago but found it extremely boring, I find it more fun to be outdoors. I just got back from an 8 mile run and it was amazing as always! :)
  • "You are your own gym" Google that... they have the books you can possibly get from the library if cost is an issue.

Thats true, Once i started doing this at home i have dropped 20lbs but i can check those outs as well thank you
  • sgt1372 wrote: »

Far better $ better dpent than the THOUSANDS of $'s spent on lifting and other exercise gear that I"ve spent $ on.

WHOA 940 Im so glas you are getting great use out of that,, I guess i should have said im in the middle class part of the world lol,, And the gym i did go to is part of the hospital i worked for so it was free for me,,, If i do come into some money i will check that out
  • I walk, hike and run outside. It’s free for me because I buy no gear and I don’t wear shoes. Barefoot trail running is my true passion and it’s been instrumental in keeping me fit and maintaining my weight loss for the past 7 years. I don’t generally recommend it though, it fits with my lifestyle and it’s the only way I enjoy running but I’m kind of a weird person :D I did try the gym a long time ago but found it extremely boring, I find it more fun to be outdoors. I just got back from an 8 mile run and it was amazing as always! :)

Oh wow but that is very creative though i love that you do that. I wont lie i was in a gym months but doing cardio exercising help me lose weight more than machines that is for sure. Since its cold where i live im kind of tied down to the house right now lol
  • Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I simply take it back outside. All of it.

I wish i could but im an August baby .. I live in a cold state and i swear the more weight i lose the colder i am
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I'm in Montreal where it has already snowed twice...this week. You CAN take it outside if you're into it but if you're set on staying indoors then you're going to have to ramp it up.

If you live in a building (like condo or apartment) then run stairs for cardio. There is a ridiculous amount of free, body weight, or calisthenic workouts online. Most of them don't go for an hour, per se, but if you need something to help you follow along, it's out there.

Alternatively, there are pre-made workout programs that you can try.

You didn't mention anything about any exercise equipment you may have access to (for example, resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, skipping ropes, etc) so if you have some, let us know. There may be other suggestions based on that.

Otherwise, just lift heavy stuff! "Put that weight to work" (something I tell myself often). Like you can "Farmer's Walk" your groceries back to your car...which you happened to park 3 blocks away.

Hinge. Lunge. Push. Pull. Carry. These are foundational movements which there's a lot you can do - with or without equipment, with or without gym access - if you want to.

If your budget allows (perhaps it's part of a workplace health benefits package), get assessed by a physical trainer who can make a program for you based on your interests and equipment.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Nykeyacox wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

WHOA 940 Im so glas you are getting great use out of that,, I guess i should have said im in the middle class part of the world lol,, And the gym i did go to is part of the hospital i worked for so it was free for me,,, If i do come into some money i will check that out

If you enjoy rowing, you can get older models used for sub $500 and with the exception of the monitor, anything that needs replacing will be cheap.

I have a model B that I paid $150 for that didn’t need anything and I love it! BUT you need to be vigilant about looking on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, let go, etc
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    I gained the covid 19...too much baking, i got lazy

Check out youtube. I've been liking team body project lately. They have some good workout videos and some programs that are great. I just joined their app because I was enjoying them so much but there's lots for free
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Of course don't know your finances but skipping a daily coffee shop coffee will pay for that in a year.
  • Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Of course don't know your finances but skipping a daily coffee shop coffee will pay for that in a year.

OF i know you dont,, Just an FYI i dont go to coffee shops, I have a keurig at home they i didnt get to buy until this year, I do appreciate your comment though
  • AliNouveau wrote: »
    I gained the covid 19...too much baking, i got lazy

Check out youtube. I've been liking team body project lately. They have some good workout videos and some programs that are great. I just joined their app because I was enjoying them so much but there's lots for free

OMG Honey and i Gained 30 But ill be honest some of it might have been right before Covid I was celebrating my new promotion then my anniversary then covid and i kept on eating lol,, But reality set in in June i promise, and now i feel so made at myself because im older and now this is going to take all of my strength to do this,, i subscript to Body Project thank you so much i will check them out in the morning. I have been Trying to do something daily
  • Dogmom1978 wrote: »

If you enjoy rowing, you can get older models used for sub $500 and with the exception of the monitor, anything that needs replacing will be cheap.

I have a model B that I paid $150 for that didn’t need anything and I love it! BUT you need to be vigilant about looking on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, let go, etc

I actually did the rowing machine a few years ago in the gym i wasn't to sure about it, I need to google exactly what it targets.. My main targets is my abs thighs and arms, but i want to lose all over.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    There are some guys on YouTube if you look up full body workout without weights that have some really creative stuff.

I can't find my favorite one right now, but if I do I'll post it. I like this one as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Knos9FW94&t=280s

This is more beginner friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIdAPUA3GY4
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm fortunate that I have my C2 rower, bike trainer, weight bench etc etc all at home so my only excuse has been lack of motivation with all the race cancellations this year (they've even announced that Ottawa Race Weekend has been cancelled for May 2021). The only thing I've really slacked off on is my running (I'm a crazy Canuck who runs outside all year 'round), I just need to give my head a shake and get back at it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    If you have the space there are lots of pieces of exercise equipment you can make for free or mnimal cost. Just Google homemade exercise equipment. Here is a sample

"50+ Homemade workout equipment ideas | diy gym, at home gym, no equipment workout" https://www.pinterest.com/amp/charleslehman10/homemade-workout-equipment/