Why counting calories indefinitely perceived as bad thing?

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    My husband could eat half a biscuit where as I'd have to restrain myself from eating the whole pack, so we have to do what works for us, individually.

But what is "weird" anyway?

My mother calls me weird for liking strong black coffee where as I think she is weird for having fixed meal times including a fixed 5pm time for her dinner. :D

Just do what works as that is all that matters.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Yes that concerned me too.

Who cares if others think it is weird or not??

Although IME nobody but my husband knows anyway - I am experienced enough now to do approximations when out and I only weigh at home and logging can be done without drawing anyone else attention to it.

But I don't have to do it behind my husbands back. I don't make a song and dance about it but I certainly don't hide it from him either.
    And maybe he thinks it is weird but that is relationships for you, you accept each others harmless weirdities.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    OP, as a side note, if you feel like making a life with this guy means that you have to hide stuff like this, I think that's really unfortunate. My husband has to pay attention to things that are easy for me and vice versa. That's how (some) good partnerships work. The goal should be to extend grace to each other and celebrate the little differences that make us unique, not make you want to hide stuff about yourself.

I would second this. My husband comments sometimes that I am "so disciplined" but also recognises that my watching/counting calories means that he has a better sense of what he needs to cut out when he needs to shed a few pounds.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    Don't assume other's perceptions are reality. Their distortions can lead to more mind warp. Take what you need from a bunch of different sources. There's safety in that.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    If it's not weird for people to photograph and post on social media their overly indulgent restaurant meals, then I have no second thoughts calorie counting my food.
    @psychod787 I need more 'gym' friends - how to find them when gyms are locked down?

It is weird for people to post their meals but I still won't give it a second thought calorie counting.

I am not sure why someone needs to even comment on the health and fitness process of another person. The calorie counting people accept but getting up super early in the morning still catches comments all the time. What difference does it make to you what time I get up? I am not better than you for getting up early, I am just different. If I had more discipline I could exercise later in the day without fear of talking myself out of it. I get up early so I do not have to be as disciplined not because I am more disciplined.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If it's not weird for people to photograph and post on social media their overly indulgent restaurant meals, then I have no second thoughts calorie counting my food.
    @psychod787 I need more 'gym' friends - how to find them when gyms are locked down?

It is weird for people to post their meals but I still won't give it a second thought calorie counting.

I am not sure why someone needs to even comment on the health and fitness process of another person. The calorie counting people accept but getting up super early in the morning still catches comments all the time. What difference does it make to you what time I get up? I am not better than you for getting up early, I am just different. If I had more discipline I could exercise later in the day without fear of talking myself out of it. I get up early so I do not have to be as disciplined not because I am more disciplined.

That is a beautiful way to put it.

Sure beats the "I like getting up early and working out, makes a nice start to the day, and sure is better than working out later like all you lazy-a** people do."

For some odd reason the latter comes off wrong.

Oh, I almost got inspired couple weeks ago to get up early after missing my evening workout due to errand timing, sadly that was about 1:30 am and easily talked myself out of it.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2020
    I track with the end goal of eventually not needing to.

Not good or bad.

Do you...