Question for ladies πŸ¦‹

Hola chicas! 🌈
I just started logging and eating at a deficit again after several years of gaining weight off MFP.
Today is day 9. 🌠
However I'm experiencing menstrual symptoms (cramps, spotting, nausea, etc) over a week early.
Because of my birth control pill my period is always quite regular...
Is this a normal thing to happen when you have a change in diet/start eating at a modest deficit?
Has this happened to anyone else?
It's not the end of the world, but it's pretty disconcerting, and it's definitely got my energy level down and my appetite up...
Any thoughts or positive energy is welcomed πŸŒˆπŸ’™πŸŒ·

Replies

• rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    The most likely reason is that our bodies are weird sometimes.

You're probably right haha 🌞

• amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Mine came early on the 3rd month into my diet. I chalked it up to my body being stressed by the calorie deficit, but could also just be weirdness πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ
  • apolzer2020
    apolzer2020 Posts: 15 Member
    I started 9 days ago aswell and I also feel the same way!
    I’m not sure if my period is coming or it’s just a coincidence but I feel lousy.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Oh no!!! Period talk!!

I’ll send ya positive thoughts and step back slowly n carefully

Seriously!? It’s 2020 not 1950! πŸ™„
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    hahah
    Thanks for the thoughts chicas, if nothing else just some reassurance that our bodies are weird, especially when responding to changes. :) xo
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member
    I started my calorie deficit 6 weeks ago right after my period and I just got it again 2 days ago. I was wondering where it went. I think it does have something to do with the deficit and that I've lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks. But I'm not worried about it.

I don't think it's abnormal at all. Your body is getting used to new and different sensations like surviving on less food and using fat for energy.

My deficit is only 280 calories.
  • apolzer2020
    apolzer2020 Posts: 15 Member
    Hola chicas! 🌈
    I just started logging and eating at a deficit again after several years of gaining weight off MFP.
    Today is day 9. 🌠
    However I'm experiencing menstrual symptoms (cramps, spotting, nausea, etc) over a week early.
    Is this a normal thing to happen when you have a change in diet/start eating at a modest deficit?
    It's not the end of the world, but it's pretty disconcerting, and it's definitely got my energy level down and my appetite up...

I wonder if making a journal would help us find more of a pattern to how we are eating and feeling and where we are in our cycles. hmmm.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hola chicas! 🌈
    Today is day 9. 🌠

Please quantify "modest deficit" - what weekly weight loss goal did you chose and how much do you need to lose to hit your goal weight?
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    My period has become somewhat irregular over the last few month, after losing around 50kg in the span of 14 months. I’ve checked in with my doctor in regards to this and everything is OK for me personally.

Recommendations in my country is to check in with your physician if your period dramatically changes or disappears over a sustained period of time (6 months generally, unless there are other symptoms).
    I wonder if making a journal would help us find more of a pattern to how we are eating and feeling and where we are in our cycles. hmmm.

I track my cycle in the app Maya which gives me a handy chart over time and I also track spotting there, I find it very helpful. They have options for tracking a variety of symptoms and moods (like hungry/cravings, weight loss/weightgain) as well as Notes. It’s free with Ads.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I started my calorie deficit 6 weeks ago right after my period and I just got it again 2 days ago. I was wondering where it went. I think it does have something to do with the deficit and that I've lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks. But I'm not worried about it.

I don't think it's abnormal at all. Your body is getting used to new and different sensations like surviving on less food and using fat for energy.

If you've lost 9 lb in 6 weeks, your deficit is a lot more than 280 cals.
  • dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    [...]

If you've lost 9 lb in 6 weeks, your deficit is a lot more than 280 cals.

Why? Some of it may have been water weight. Due to change in macronutrients, for instance.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,857 Member
    My period has become somewhat irregular over the last few month, after losing around 50kg in the span of 14 months. I’ve checked in with my doctor in regards to this and everything is OK for me personally.

Recommendations in my country is to check in with your physician if your period dramatically changes or disappears over a sustained period of time (6 months generally, unless there are other symptoms).

That's a weight loss of nearly 1kg per week. That's quite massive. Even if you have a lot of lose I could imagine that this might have some influence on your cycle.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Oh no!!! Period talk!!

I’ll send ya positive thoughts and step back slowly n carefully

Given the subject of the thread is "Question for ladies" you might have guessed this. LOL

He probably thought we were just pillow fighting in our undies.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Hola chicas! 🌈
    Today is day 9. 🌠

I keep one and my closest male friend knows my daily weight, deficit and my cycle
    When I get unusually pissed off about weight going randomly up he reminds me to go check my Callander, he's always right for cause of gains