Is is possible for someone who hates running to learn to lov

Options
Today is week 1, day 3 of my journey with couch to 5k. I am about to get on my treadmill, but am completely dreading it. I HATE running. I have ALWAYS hated running. Despite my hatred (and fear) of running, I have always envied those who love running, and have always wanted to be one of those people. Is this possible? Can I teach myself to love it? Right now it hurts like hell! My lungs burn...which I'm sure is because I smoked for the last 8 years in addition to never running.

If this is possible, when will it get easier?? I'm fairly certain I will be doing week 1 over again, unless today I miraculously can run the intervals without feeling like I'm going to die!

Replies

• Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Today is week 1, day 3 of my journey with couch to 5k. I am about to get on my treadmill, but am completely dreading it. I HATE running. I have ALWAYS hated running. Despite my hatred (and fear) of running, I have always envied those who love running, and have always wanted to be one of those people. Is this possible? Can I teach myself to love it? Right now it hurts like hell! My lungs burn...which I'm sure is because I smoked for the last 8 years in addition to never running.

If this is possible, when will it get easier?? I'm fairly certain I will be doing week 1 over again, unless today I miraculously can run the intervals without feeling like I'm going to die!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    First of all, slow down. A lot of people who start running, REALLY start RUNNING. You should be doing a walk/jog combination. Google the Couch to 5K program for a great introduction training plan to running.

That said, not everyone likes running. Not even everyone who runs likes running. Some people do it just to be in shape and use up a lot of calories. I like jogging very much...it's relaxing, I chit chat with my jogging partner the whole time, or just zone out and listen to music. But I don't go very fast and most of the time I keep my runs under an hour, so I'm not marathoner. You just have to make it your own; don't try to race anyone, don't try to force yourself into it. But definitely soak it up when you get your first runner's high or make it past your first mile without stopping to walk. Running can be very rewarding and enjoyable. :smile:
  • GameOver
    GameOver Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I don't necessarily LOVE running, but I have made it a part of my exercise routine. At first, I would run out of breath really fast and have to stop, but you can build up to it. Maybe setting small goals will help keep you motivated. Signing up for a 5K is a good start. 3 miles used to be my goal and now I can run that on a bad day. It took me a couple months before I could run longer distances. What helped me was the interval setting on the treatdmill. Run for 2 min, walk for 2 min...

:happy:
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First of all, slow down. A lot of people who start running, REALLY start RUNNING. You should be doing a walk/jog combination. Google the Couch to 5K program for a great introduction training plan to running.

That said, not everyone likes running. Not even everyone who runs likes running. Some people do it just to be in shape and use up a lot of calories. I like jogging very much...it's relaxing, I chit chat with my jogging partner the whole time, or just zone out and listen to music. But I don't go very fast and most of the time I keep my runs under an hour, so I'm not marathoner. You just have to make it your own; don't try to race anyone, don't try to force yourself into it. But definitely soak it up when you get your first runner's high or make it past your first mile without stopping to walk. Running can be very rewarding and enjoyable. :smile:

I am actually doing the Couch to 5K program, walking at 3.4 and jogging at 4.3. As slow as of a pace I am going it is still extremely difficult! I can speed walk for an hour, but jogging for even 60 seconds kills me!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I am proof that it is possible. I started 2 years ago, I signed up for a relay race, 4 legs, each around 6 or 7 miles. I hated running when I first started, dreaded running days. If there had not been 3 other people counting on me I would have gave up. But I kept on running, and I haven't stopped. 1 year after that 1st race I ran my 1st full marathon-3:58-. I love running now, I have to make myself do other exercises. Running is such a stress reliever, love the way I feel when I am done. So don't give up! You may need to slow down a bit when starting and let you heart lungs get stronger.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I am actually doing the Couch to 5K program, walking at 3.4 and jogging at 4.3. As slow as of a pace I am going it is still extremely difficult! I can speed walk for an hour, but jogging for even 60 seconds kills me!

LOL, how did I miss that? It was the first sentence! Ah well, I'm tired.:laugh:
  • raelee
    raelee Posts: 10
    Options
    I don't know how long it's been since you stopped smoking but in as soon as 8 weeks post smoking your lungs will will have repaired themselves enough to help with that burning lung feeling. The catch is that you have to keep at the running to build endurance.
    I used to HATE running as well. I smoked for 5 years before I joined the Marine Corps and was forced to start running every other day. I didn't start enjoying it until my lungs were clear and my body had built up enough endurance.
    Now I crave running! It's wierd:huh:

side note: I don't really like treadmill running, BORING!
    you might enjoy yourself more outside, fresh air, scenery.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agreed with sbs- SLOW DOWN!!! Don't kill youself or you'll never learn to do it. Take a slow jog for a minute or 2, then walk, then run. Set mini goals- add a minute a week, increase 0.1mile speed per week, etc. I didn't begin to make it a part of my routine until I slowed down. I thought I had to run a 10 minute mile, run 4 miles straight, etc. I slowed down, cranked up the tunes, and took my time! Now I run 8-12 miles a week. I set different goals each week- increase speed or distance slightly.

BUT, if you really hate it, don't do it. Find something you like!!:smile:

Good Luck!
  • sasselg5
    sasselg5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have never liked running but have recently become friends with some ladies who run several times a week and I go with them. We chit chat (which is more challenging) and it makes the run go by faster. Find a partner if you can because it definitely helps!
  • TrailRunner
    TrailRunner Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    yes, I think so.

First I hope you're not running to fast too soon.

I've run off and on throughout the years. My stepmom was a big runner -an "I love to run runner".

For me there has always been moments in running that keep me coming back. Or should I say running back.

My favorite moments in reflection:

Times when I feel like I can run forever
    2 moments when I felt like a gazelle. Only two but they are glorious. I felt smooth and graceful.
    1 time when I felt like I couldn't go on and started yelling at myself and still went on.
    1 time, a good one i think, when I started crying because I didn't think I could keep going until I realized that I was still running. That I was enlightened and knew it was ok to cry and still keep running. That I could cry and be at war with myself and still keep running. For sure a mental hurdel I conquered.
    The extra burst of energy I get through out the day. Suddenly running instead of walking to go back and get something I forget in the grocery store.
    As a smoker to tell my doctor when he says to give it up that its better than giving up running. "True", he says. But I realize if I'm going to get faster I'll have to give it up. That it will be easier if I do.
    Remembering the day I finally finished 1 mile in high top tennis shoes to the day I finished a mini marathon. 13.2 miles. Both were equal in accomplishment.

These are some of my favorite running moments.
  • hopetobeinshape
    Options
    I would like to start the couch to 5k this coming Monday. I am signed up to do a 5k in june, and have no running experience. I hate running as well. I find that I can only run on the treadmill because that is the only way I keep up my speed but it gets really boring so I always quit.

My new plan is to follow the couch to 5k outside doing the 3 days a week. I really would like to get that runners high and be able to go for long runs to be in shape.

If you want we start a new thread for others like us who want to do the couch to 5k :flowerforyou:
  • LeeAnn11
    LeeAnn11 Posts: 37
    Options
    LOVED your story - great inspiration!!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I hate it too, but I want to learn to love it.. I quit smoking a year ago, and thought it would build my stamina...even after 8 months I was tired, and couldnt run... I went back to smoking (bad I know), but I have the same problem of the 60 seconds and dying. I am actually doing the couch to 5k the minute the semester is over... please let me know if it gets easier
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My sister is a prime example of a running convert. When we were younger, she hated all physical activity. She was a bookworm, and swore she would never "run on purpose," unless she was being chased by something. Her best friend and former roommate was a cross-country runner, and got her started on it. They now run half-marathons together, and she loves running, especially outdoors. So it can be done. With her, it took 5 years of work to overcome 20 years of hate, and someone to keep her going. Just keep at it, and hopefully the support you find at MFP (or elsewhere) will help. Good luck!
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You will totally get there! I used to HATE HATE HATE running, I started about five weeks ago and now I can't wait to get in to the gym to run, although i'm one of those people who takes pleasure in something that challenges me. Each day I run I push it a little harder and it becomes a competition with myself as to how many cals I can burn during a good run! So far i've pushed myself to 6.3 for 3 minute intervals and even though it's tough and it HURTS, it's a good push and I can't wait to get back and do it again!

P.S. The definition on my stomach after starting running is a darn good motivator as well!
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I started running in December. Like you, I hated it and felt like I couldn't get anywhere - running even a couple minutes would start my lungs burning.

However, then my boyfriend's fire department got a treadmill, and I started playing around on it while he was off chatting with friends. First I ran 4 minutes straight, then 5, then I ran 3/4 of a mile without stopping! I was so proud and it felt pretty darn good, actually.

I can now run an 11:45 min mile, no walking, on a treadmill and I'm toying with the idea of maybe running a marathon someday. I'm MIA at the moment due to some injuries from a car accident a couple weeks ago, but as soon as I'm all healed up I'll be back on the treadmill!

I've really grown to love it, and I think anyone can do the same! The key is definitely to try some jog/walk combos at first, see what you can do, then set a goal that's just beyond what you did this time. Keep at it, take it slow but push yourself a little, that's what I did! Good luck and I hope you succeed!

P.S. I would love a partner when I get back on the road . . . anyone else here from Central Michigan?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    To answer your question -- YES!!

I also hated running but now I feel off without running during the week. It burns calories, is a great stress reliever and amazing you will find yourself thinking out your problems during your run and at the end you have exercised and found your answer (assuming you have probs that creep up during the day, like I do).

Also, I highly recommend the couch to 5K but I will add a few comments that will help you feel "normal".

1. -- it doesn't feel great at first
    2. -- even runners don't want to run every day
    3. -- it takes time to build up distance and speed
    4. -- expanding your lung capacity will hurt a little -- uncomfortable is OKay and Painful is not --just because the runner next to you doesn't "look" like they are uncomfortable if they are pushing a limit for themselves -- they prob are!

It will get better -- also recommend Jeff Galloway for a great program!!

Good Luck!
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I realized I had my expectations set to high. I started with the run/walk way and was always dissappointed when I saw all these people saying how they could now run five miles etc. and I just wasn't getting the progress I thought I should be seeing.

I erroneously believed the only way to do it right was to go out and run for five miles without stoping, if I couldn't do that, I was doing something wrong. Not so. You aren't like anyone else, you body is unique. Your little joys and accomplishments will come with time, just don't give up. I enjoy it and look forward to it now and it has only been since august of last year. The biggest difference for me, was when I started making myself walk when my heart rate got too high, even though I could push it for a while, I made myself stop and recover and each time, it took less time to recover. I didn't want to do this before because I thought it wasn't as good as keeping running the whole time. The beauty of it now is, I hardly ever have to walk, and I do interval sprints when I need a change, which includes me slowing to a walk even now. As with weight loss, I wanted results yesterday. I realized if I need a rest, rest. I am not a five miler, I am about a three miler. Some days I go for longer, sometimes only two miles, but this is for my health and help control my weight, not so I win medals.

I never had the drive to do marathons, and probably never will. For me this isn't a way to keep pushing my body, just a way that makes me healthy that I enjoy and for some reason I always admired runners.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I was a hater and now love to run but guess what I still hate to run on a treadmill. Hopefully, you can get outside soon.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY hated running for the better part of my life. In high school whenever we had to run the mile I walked it.

THEN, I got to college for Kinesiology and we had to take a required class in which the final was a 10k run!!! I started to freak because well I hated running.

I started slowly, had the entire semester to get prepared and actually ended up LIKING running. I couldn't believe it! I even went out and bought a treadmill buz I liked it so much!

I got implants so I'm not as big of a fan as I was before. Still trying to find the right sports bra. :laugh: That's probably the only regret I have as far as that goes (it's uncomfie to run).