Cons of walking?

Options

Replies

• globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My point is this kind of flaws the advice people give to other when they say exercise more and you can eat more. Technically true, but the amount or intensity you have to put in is probably not what most people expect to be able to eat that extra slice of whatever.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    If brisk walking does nothing else, it gets me out of my basement gym and get fresh air on the days when I don't run.

In winter it can be challenging to avoid the ice when walking. I have fallen a few times on ice that I couldn't see.

The benefits of just being outside for fresh air makes the risk worth it to me. Clears the mind.

After having two people in my immediate family suffer compound fractures from falling on "invisible ice," I'm a little more risk averse. But it's pretty easy to gauge the risk of ice (based on recent/current temps and precipitation), and those factors still leave a lot of winter days with low to no risk of ice in my neck of the woods. Fortunately, they're predicting higher than average temps and lower than average precip for the winter here. I like looking at pretty snowfall as much as the next person, but I'm not crazy about shoveling it, and I hate the thought of falling on the ice.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Do not buy the foam soled shoes they wear down super fast make sure it’s rubber soled and I’d say yes good shoes are expensive but wearing improper or worn out shoes cause sprains and strains! And be properly fitted at a runner store the can tell you your walking patterns
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    globalc00 wrote: »
    I have reached the end of YouTube and web walking on treadmill. Lol. The issue is my mind knows 1 hour is 1 hour. It’s a long time much less 2 hours.

Breaking Bad takes 62 hours to watch. You'll be set till mid January.
    I watched 1 season of it and couldn't bring my self to watch season 2. I really don't get why people think it's such a good series.

Obviously it doesn't have to be Breaking Bad. Whatever time you spend watching TV, do it on the treadmill.

I've exercised to Battlestar Galactica, The 100, Dark Matter, The Good Wife, Scandal, several Marvel series, Jane the Virgin, and numerous other shows - basically, whatever I like but my OH doesn't or has already seen.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have reached the end of YouTube and web walking on treadmill. Lol. The issue is my mind knows 1 hour is 1 hour. It’s a long time much less 2 hours.

I watched 1 season of it and couldn't bring my self to watch season 2. I really don't get why people think it's such a good series.

Obviously it doesn't have to be Breaking Bad. Whatever time you spend watching TV, do it on the treadmill.

I've exercised to Battlestar Galactica, The 100, Dark Matter, The Good Wife, Scandal, several Marvel series, Jane the Virgin, and numerous other shows - basically, whatever I like but my OH doesn't or has already seen.

^^

I second this. I also read on the treadmill although it’s harder than it sounds 😂. I love to read and if I couple it with my treadmill or arc trainer I’m not being lazy 😜

I cannot read on my rower or summit climber though 😔
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Walking out side for me has health hazard since where I live, there are no side walks and cars and scooters zoom by. Air quality and weather is also a factor. So I prefer to walk on treadmill.
    But my biggest complaint about walking is the calorie count. I really have no idea how many calories i'm burning. Too many conflicting articles out there on how much you really burn even if I am on a treadmill much less outside.
    If someone has a known good formula to calculate walking calorie, please share.

@globalc00
    I tend to use the simple bodyweight in pounds X efficiency ratio of 0.3 X miles walked = net calories
    (e.g. At my 168lb weight walking 3 miles would get a number of 151 net cals with caveats that it's intended for flat ground and "normal speed" walking.)

Beware that many estimates are gross cals (including MyFitnessPal's METS based estimates and many apps) which would mean an element of double counting if using MFP as designed for exercise calories. (MFP number for me with an hour at 3mph would be 251cals.)

This calculator tends to give higher numbers than my simple formula (184cals for comparison) but usefully has a field where you can enter the grade so helpful for your treadmill incline walks perhaps?
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

Based on your calculation. I would burn 210 calories for 10000 steps or 5 miles. Burning a hair more per hour than my hourly tdee. Quite depressing. 😩

Reasons like this I feel like it’s easier to not eat than exercise. 1 hour walking burns less than eating a banana.

There are far more benefits to regular exercise than just calorie burning.

^^

Yes! Calorie deficit is for weight loss and exercise is for my mental and physical health.

Also, I enjoy going outdoors with my furkids 😊
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    The only negative with walking for me now is that I keep getting very wet as it is Autumn here. I try to hit the times of day that the weather forecast says it is less likely to rain but does not always work out.

But hopefully by this time next year I will be in maintenance so will have spent the money on some decent wet weather gear, an expensive purchase so I do not wish to make while I still have weight to lose. For now, I just have to make do with what I have.

I do enjoy my walks though and as someone who enjoys crafts, it nicely offsets the time I spend sitting so I enjoy that more as I don't then worry about being too inactive.

When it is really really wet, I get out the stepper and put on a movie or trawl through YouTube for entertainment and can easily do an hour but I much prefer to get out of the house when I can.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

I can buy a lot of shoes vs the cost of poor cardiac health.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

Even still I have to use a foot roller.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

if you are going thru a lot of shoes...you should have at least 3 pair of shoes that you alternate wearing everyday...(even if they are the same kind in your case). 3 pair of shoes alternated will each have a longer life than if you wore each pair daily and consequetivly.... ...if that makes sense.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

^^

I second this. I also read on the treadmill although it’s harder than it sounds 😂. I love to read and if I couple it with my treadmill or arc trainer I’m not being lazy 😜

I would give audio books a try because, as you say, reading is not easy on a treadmill. I was always having to hit rewind on audio books (way back before Audible, when I was listening to cassettes) when I used them on a long commute that I thankfully got rid of about 15 years ago, or while I was outside walking or doing yardwork, because real-life would distract me and I'd realize I'd missed a whole paragraph or more.

But I think I could probably stay focused on an audio book on a treadmill. Or a podcast. I just discovered one that's been going for a couple of years called LeVar Burton Reads, so I've got a big backlog to catch up on. They're short stories, so you can probably finish a whole story in one treadmill session. A lot of them are science fiction or fantasy, so maybe not a good choice if you're one of those weird people who doesn't like either. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

if you are going thru a lot of shoes...you should have at least 3 pair of shoes that you alternate wearing everyday...(even if they are the same kind in your case). 3 pair of shoes alternated will each have a longer life than if you wore each pair daily and consequetivly.... ...if that makes sense.

Also having multiple pairs means you shouldn't ever be in a situation of having to wear a brand new pair multiple days in a row while you "break them in." I know they say shoes should be comfortable from the get go, and I strive for that, but I seldom find a new pair that really feels as comfortable as a pair I've worn for a little while.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

^^

I would give audio books a try because, as you say, reading is not easy on a treadmill. I was always having to hit rewind on audio books (way back before Audible, when I was listening to cassettes) when I used them on a long commute that I thankfully got rid of about 15 years ago, or while I was outside walking or doing yardwork, because real-life would distract me and I'd realize I'd missed a whole paragraph or more.

But I think I could probably stay focused on an audio book on a treadmill. Or a podcast. I just discovered one that's been going for a couple of years called LeVar Burton Reads, so I've got a big backlog to catch up on. They're short stories, so you can probably finish a whole story in one treadmill session. A lot of them are science fiction or fantasy, so maybe not a good choice if you're one of those weird people who doesn't like either. :smile:

Hmm, I'm not crazy about short stories in general (even by my favorite authors of novels) but wonder if this will change if it is an audio short story I listen to while I'm exercising.

Science fiction / fantasy is right up my alley!
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    freda78 wrote: »
    The only negative with walking for me now is that I keep getting very wet as it is Autumn here. I try to hit the times of day that the weather forecast says it is less likely to rain but does not always work out.

But hopefully by this time next year I will be in maintenance so will have spent the money on some decent wet weather gear, an expensive purchase so I do not wish to make while I still have weight to lose. For now, I just have to make do with what I have.

I do enjoy my walks though and as someone who enjoys crafts, it nicely offsets the time I spend sitting so I enjoy that more as I don't then worry about being too inactive.

When it is really really wet, I get out the stepper and put on a movie or trawl through YouTube for entertainment and can easily do an hour but I much prefer to get out of the house when I can.

Do you water-proof real walking shoes? If not, what do you wear on your feet? I find shoes that are designed as rain wear aren't generally the most comfortable or appropriate for long walks, much less breaking into the occasional jog, which I like to do.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

This is what I do for my laboratory work shoes. Rotating seems to let them “bounce back” between wearings. Walking shoes, I don’t have much experience with yet
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

^^

Hmm, I'm not crazy about short stories in general (even by my favorite authors of novels) but wonder if this will change if it is an audio short story I listen to while I'm exercising.

Science fiction / fantasy is right up my alley!

He's a great reader. But you don't have to take my word for it.

giphy.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Well if you have any injuries maybe. Or if you live in an area where pollution is horrible maybe. But otherwise no...