• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

I can buy a lot of shoes vs the cost of poor cardiac health.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

Even still I have to use a foot roller.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

I was buying new balance for awhile but I got disappointed with how long the lasted. I too was only getting about 3 months or so before needing to replace them. Even buying them from kohl’s on sale and with a coupon, I was annoyed by the expense. I switched to Vasque (I already had their hiking boots and was pleased with how they held up). My Vasque hiking shoes are still doing well 9 months in. I got a color I wasn’t thrilled with on clearance from REI for a steal of a deal.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You might encounter people.

Ugh.

I hear you! Even worse, you might encounter people with dogs who do not scoop their poop >.<

I stopped using the main and secondary entrances to my state park. I looked at the map and found a dead end street near the other side of the park. It is exceedingly rare that I encounter someone in that side of the park during the week. When I do see someone, it's generally one of the mountain bikers who made or use the fun tertiary trails that I love, so kindred spirits (except that I don't mountain bike - too risky for me.)

While I clean up after my dogs who incidentally, always poop off trail on their own, I think it’s amusing to do so when I’m in the actual woods. I mean, no one picks up the bear and coyote poop. I wish they would... but it’s not a thing 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?

I was buying new balance for awhile but I got disappointed with how long the lasted. I too was only getting about 3 months or so before needing to replace them. Even buying them from kohl’s on sale and with a coupon, I was annoyed by the expense. I switched to Vasque (I already had their hiking boots and was pleased with how they held up). My Vasque hiking shoes are still doing well 9 months in. I got a color I wasn’t thrilled with on clearance from REI for a steal of a deal.

Of the ones I have tried NB keeps my feet the happiest for the longest but they have zero durability. I have until about the middle of February before I am probably going to need replacements.

I will check out Vasque. I have turned into one of those people who will ask anyone service industry person walking around all day about their shoes. I really wanted to like Keen and I tried several but it was not happening. I have heard good things about Merrel but I haven't tried one yet. My Columbia hiking shoes were great but they also didn't last. I heard great things about ASICS Gels but the ones I bought were quickly demoted to working around the house shoes.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Ugh.

I hear you! Even worse, you might encounter people with dogs who do not scoop their poop >.<

I stopped using the main and secondary entrances to my state park. I looked at the map and found a dead end street near the other side of the park. It is exceedingly rare that I encounter someone in that side of the park during the week. When I do see someone, it's generally one of the mountain bikers who made or use the fun tertiary trails that I love, so kindred spirits (except that I don't mountain bike - too risky for me.)

While I clean up after my dogs who incidentally, always poop off trail on their own, I think it’s amusing to do so when I’m in the actual woods. I mean, no one picks up the bear and coyote poop. I wish they would... but it’s not a thing 🤷🏻‍♀️

While I've seen plenty of coyote scat, I've never stepped in it, but I have looked at it closely, and since it is so much dryer than dog poop, being full of fur and such, I imagine it would be less unpleasant than dog poop. I've never noticed deer fewmets sticking to my shoes either. I have no experience with beer scat :)
  • NovusDies
    Options

Ugh.

I pick it up regardless. My only exception is when the weather is so bad I can't find it and I always go back the next day and try to locate it. In those situations though if I see what I know is another dog's I will just consider it even if I pick it up.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    It takes time and wear proper shoes.

And I *highly* recommend Merino socks, as well. I've never had a blister, and it makes the experience more comfortable.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Coming home with a ruddy face like a slapped *kitten* after a brisk walk in rough weather.

Injury is possible if you go to far, to hard or too steep for your level of fitness and flexibility.
    Also blisters.

People wondering where you've left your dog 🐕
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Of the ones I have tried NB keeps my feet the happiest for the longest but they have zero durability. I have until about the middle of February before I am probably going to need replacements.

I will check out Vasque. I have turned into one of those people who will ask anyone service industry person walking around all day about their shoes. I really wanted to like Keen and I tried several but it was not happening. I have heard good things about Merrel but I haven't tried one yet. My Columbia hiking shoes were great but they also didn't last. I heard great things about ASICS Gels but the ones I bought were quickly demoted to working around the house shoes.

I have heard good things about Merrill, but every single pair I have tried was too narrow for me or the arch ended up being in an uncomfortable spot on my foot.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Ugh.

While I've seen plenty of coyote scat, I've never stepped in it, but I have looked at it closely, and since it is so much dryer than dog poop, being full of fur and such, I imagine it would be less unpleasant than dog poop. I've never noticed deer fewmets sticking to my shoes either. I have no experience with beer scat :)

Once one of my dogs stepped in another dogs poop on one of the local trails. He got the poop and some leaves stuck to one of his front paws. He was limping and crying. We thought he got hurt! It was hilarious once we figured out what was actually wrong though!😂😂😂😂😂
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,401 Member
    Options

Ugh.

And encounter people whose dogs suddenly attack you. I generally don't mind dogs, but for some reason they do mind me. Sometimes the little cuddly toy dog walking next to a family storms at me walking 5m away, another time a huge dog jumps out of a forest at me (didn't even see it). I'd say that 1 in every 5-8 dogs is aggressive towards me, usually without me even seeing the dog at first. Those dogs that never do anything according to their owners :(
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Valid point... I started back in mid June with a personal step goal of 5k daily and gradually increased it (+1k to goal every few weeks). When I got to 12k, I actually reassessed and went back to 10k. Now I walk in the morning (treadmill) for 60-70 minutes before work, and spend my lunch hour doing strength work. If I 'allowed' myself a higher step count, I'd feel driven to meet it and skimp on the strength work. I may still hit 12k but the extra is not thru intentional/cardio.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If ALL one's exercise time is spent walking, then one loses out on the benefits of strength exercise, flexibility exercise, some amounts of intense or interval cardio (which aren't so much beginner things, but useful once there's base fitness for certain benefits that low/moderate steady state exercise isn't most efficient at).

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

NB makes most of their shoes in China, but has a line called "MADE" which are made in the US and Britain.

My NB China shoes last ~ 4-5 months.

I am yet to have a pair of the US made ones wear out. You pay for that, though.

I've had great luck with Vasque footwear over the years fwiw Love their hiking boots.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I think the only possible cons (besides the potential injury ones people have mentioned) are only *relative* cons, not absolute ones, and somewhat still individual. For example:

If ALL one's exercise time is spent walking, then one loses out on the benefits of strength exercise, flexibility exercise, some amounts of intense or interval cardio (which aren't so much beginner things, but useful once there's base fitness for certain benefits that low/moderate steady state exercise isn't most efficient at).

If one spends very large amounts of time doing very large amounts of walking, it can detract from ability to achieve good overall life balance, i.e., enough time and energy to pursue other rewarding interests or hobbies that would be life-enhancing. (Walking is a good exercise, but if the end objective is either calorie burn or fitness improvement, walking may not be the most time-efficient possible solution.) Obviously, though, "life balance" is very much an issue of personal needs and preference. One person's "balance" is another person's "obsession".

This is why I like to pair my walking mornings with listening to a book. It is almost always educational and/or spiritual. I have listened to many lectures on a broad variety of topics.

Almost always someone will join me around 6am and then I get to socialize with neighbors.

Also exercising our dog is a requirement. He is a terror when he is full of energy and bored. We have multiple avenues to exercise him but they all do not result in getting his "business" done so some walking is necessary.

You are right though. Walking alone is not going to take care of all your fitness needs. It is part of my program because of my goals but it is only part.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    I have one dog that gets 2 walks a day. Mind you, the walks are not their potty walks (those are just in the yard for a couple of minutes). He goes with my husband during the day on a walk or hike. He is young and hyper (German shepherd/Belgian malinoise mix). After I get home in the evenings, he goes out again. My husband takes him and I take a terrier mix we have and the go for a 40 min walk around the block.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I have one dog that gets 2 walks a day. Mind you, the walks are not their potty walks (those are just in the yard for a couple of minutes). He goes with my husband during the day on a walk or hike. He is young and hyper (German shepherd/Belgian malinoise mix). After I get home in the evenings, he goes out again. My husband takes him and I take a terrier mix we have and the go for a 40 min walk around the block.

PICTURES!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    The only con I can really see is quickly reaching a point of diminishing returns in regards to the physical fitness and health benefits provided vs the investment in time. Walking is good, low impact, light exercise and is indeed the place where most who aren't physically fit, overweight, or not used to moving much in general should start...but yeah, humans have evolved such that walking is a very efficient movement.

I started out walking about 30 minutes per day and then worked up to 60 minutes per day. It didn't really take me that long for that to become a very easy task, so my choices were to either increase my time and distance or to start incorporating more moderate and then strenuous exercise into my program...for myself, more than 60 minutes of walking per day was that point of diminishing returns in regards to the best use of my time.

I don't have any particular step goal...most of my exercise isn't step based as I am an avid road cyclist and mountain/trail rider and spend some time in the weight room and dabble a bit in rock climbing and other activities. My only step based activity is walking my dog in the morning which is just as much, if not more for her than me...though it is a nice time to have my coffee and watch the sun come up and get ready for the day ahead.

We do a roughly 2 mile loop every morning, and that is the extent of my dedicated walking. At the end of the day, along with my daily hum drum, it usually puts me around 8K-10K steps per day which is just fine by me. I ride most days as well, and if I were to be focused largely on steps I would have to forgo my rides and more vigorous exercise efforts...so that again, would be a point of diminishing returns on investment of time for myself.
  • kshama2001
    edited November 2020
    Options

I switched from NB to ASICS Gels some years back. They keep discontinuing the models I like >.<

Sometimes when it's time for new ones, I contact them and say what's closest to [discontinued model.]

I buy a bunch of different ASICS Gels models from Zappos or Amazon and return all but the ones I like best.

My newest pair is the walking around stores (and house) pair. Second newest is walking on trails. Oldest is for gardening. The gardening ones get tossed when a new new pair comes in. They are all solid black so I have to keep them different places so I don't get confused ;)

I also have PW Minor and LLBean waterproof boots that I wear when the ground is really wet, but they are not as comfortable so I use them for shorter distances.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'll note that one's approach to walking at one point in their weight management goal doesn't have to be their approach forever.

When I began in 2015, a walk was a pretty good workout for me (in terms of how it felt). As I grew more fit, I wanted to move into more intense cardio and walking became more like a thing I did for fun. So I think the point about diminishing returns is a good one, but it's something that can be adjusted for if walking no longer feels like the best fit.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If you're walking outside I guess you could get hit by a car....sunburn....allergies?

Might end up with friends and family wanting to walk too which cramps your style