Cons of walking?

Options
Due to being off work and starting my latest (Hopefully final!) Loss journey I'm walking around 6 miles a day. This is intentional exercise in addition to the normal day to day activity ie school drop off/pick ups. Today I walked 8 miles (19000 steps)

I know the pros but there arent any negatives are there?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not feeling any pain/extreme soreness, then there's no real cons.

I love walking, but I usually only do long walks every other day, because my knees get pretty sore if I do multiple days in a row. But, if you're not having that problem, then go for it.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Don't think there can be any negatives :smile: unless you plan on doing excess miles every single day, which is what I did a few years ago and burned myself out not to mention my poor heels and feet were suffering too (had to let go of my step tracker eventually because I couldn't stand to see less than 20k+ steps a day)

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

I can buy a lot of shoes vs the cost of poor cardiac health.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It takes time and wear proper shoes.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Most mornings, I walk 60-70 minutes. Being at a healthy weight as a female with a desk job: this helps me burn enough calories that I can eat 1400-1700 daily and lose gradually at a slight deficit. I enjoy it, and it feels good. I do wear shoes that are fitting for me as a runner - even though I'm not running more than a few minutes here & there. I need strong arch support. 2 pair a year cost me about $250, unless I can find the last year's model on sale and/or get a pair as a Christmas gift.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

Oh yeah... the other con is how much more shoes and socks cost and how fast you wear out shoes once your average stays over 10k. Don't be fooled by shoes supposedly designed to be "walking" shoes. In this country that just means it is possible to walk in them. It doesn't actually mean they are designed for exercise.

How nice for you. Not everyone can. Healthy lifestyle items and food are overpriced because they know we are investing in our wellbeing. Besides that it takes a lot of effort to find the right pair of shoes and not long after you do they replace it with a newer model that sucks.

I jokingly refer to my husband as Goldie locks because of how hard it is for him to find shoes he likes.

Also, I try NOT to purchase items that are designed for “healthy lifestyle” as that simply means they are charging me 200% more than it’s worth 😂 I am very very very frugal 😜

Pretty much the only way I can "interview" shoes now is through Prime Wardrobe or ShoeBacca. To find my recent pair it took trying 16 pairs of shoes. The ones I settled on are not ones I like looking at but it is form over function for me. After finding it I went to a NB outlet store and took advantage of the buy one get half off deals. So I own 3 pairs but one is already been semi-retired to be used for rainy days.

I am barely getting 12 weeks of use out of a pair of shoes currently. Even shopping for deals that is stupid expensive.

Even still I have to use a foot roller.

I was told recently I should look into some expensive inserts. Geez, what is next?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The thing is, if I want to walk I have to buy the walking shoes TODAY. I have to budget for that. I don't necessarily have poor cardiac health today, that's a deferred consequence.

So while having poor cardiac health may be more expensive in the long run, I hope you can understand how the cost of walking shoes/socks would be a potential con, especially for those who are on a tight budget and aren't currently experiencing health problems related to excess weight.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

The CDC recommends 150 minutes a week of moderate cardio a week for health, so 5 day at 30 minutes a day around 2 miles (that could even be broken up into small segments) or less a day for the 5 days. Unless someone has pretty specific issues, special shoes are not needed to walk 2 miles, heck, one could walk that barefoot assuming proper acclimation and surface. Shoes that would work for most people to walk 2 miles are available at Goodwill, or a clothing bank for minimal cost or free if money is an issue.

The cost of heart problems is high

"Dr. Polly Galbraith, vice president and chief medical director at Assurant Employee Benefits, an insurance provider, says the lifetime cost of treating less severe heart attacks can reach $760,000. For a severe heart attack, the cost can reach $1 million. The figures include indirect costs, such as lost productivity, as well as direct costs, such as hospitalization."

https://www.uphelp.org/costs-surviving-cardiovascular-disease-it’s-enough-give-you-heart-attack

Even if 98% of the lifetime cost of a severe heart attack is paid by insurance (please let us know where you find that policy) you're still talking $20k out of pocket which will buy a lot of shoes at Goodwill.

Did you even read the OP? You are discussing minimums. The OP mentioned 8 miles. My post was meant to be part of the OP's discussion not whatever discussion you are having. Of course, the cons and cost for doing the CDC recommendation are not going to be the same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    You might encounter people.

Ugh.

I hear you! Even worse, you might encounter people with dogs who do not scoop their poop >.<

I stopped using the main and secondary entrances to my state park. I looked at the map and found a dead end street near the other side of the park. It is exceedingly rare that I encounter someone in that side of the park during the week. When I do see someone, it's generally one of the mountain bikers who made or use the fun tertiary trails that I love, so kindred spirits (except that I don't mountain bike - too risky for me.)