Newbie here. Endomorph trying to be healthier

Options
Steph_Roiz
Steph_Roiz Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2020 in Introduce Yourself
Newbie here. Endomorph trying to change to a healthy lifestyle. Got any tips for newbies?

Replies

• Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Use a TDEE calculator, get a base line for calories, track it, make a decision if you need to lower/higher your intake after 2 weekly weigh ins, get more active.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,132 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Sawjer wrote: »
    Use a TDEE calculator, get a base line for calories, track it, make a decision if you need to lower/higher your intake after 2 weekly weigh ins, get more active.

TDEE calculator is one option, just using MFP as intended is another option. (In both cases, it's a good idea to compare how much you should have lost and how much you actually lost and adapt your intake accordingly)
    For women, I would recommend at least one menstrual cycle (preferably two) before making changes, since the menstrual cycle can have an effect on water weight fluctuations, possibly masking fat loss on the scale.
    Weighing weekly or daily, up to you: I prefer daily (the more data the better), but some people find it discouraging to see the daily up and downs (weight loss is not linear!).

A lot of useful info here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

MFP can work: I used to be an 'endomorph' , now I'm pretty much a 'mesomorph', and have been for 5 years, after 3 previous *decades* of obesity. Don't let a self-definition - particularly one that doesn't have a lot of scientific basis, realistically - become a cage. 🙂 You control all of the important variables, eating and movement, so you're in charge and can succeed. (Maybe not easy every minute, but do-able.)

Good advice above. Among the "Most Helpful Posts" recommended/linked above - which really are gold - this is my favorite to recommend as an on-ramp to using MFP:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Don't let that joke-y clickbait thread title put you off: Good, solid starting information.

Wishing you much success!