Stop telling me you lost weight by walking and cutting out beer.

Options

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    My main problem is drinking my calories as well, and i have a personal problem that when i drink just plain water, i get flashbacks to a very painful time when I only had water to drink. My PTSD and other problems cause me to put off exercise and drink more sodas. I very rarely drink alcohol but have 5 to 6 cans of soda per day. I wish i knew of an easier way to quit this cycle.

Drink diet sodas or start cutting your reg soda with some water. You may be able to do this until you can drink water. Good luck, you can do it.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I reckon losing weight is 90% diet.
    It's difficult to reconcile calorie burn and strength training . . but OP you are walking a lot.
    Seems the more fit you get , the less impact walking has.
    Your body can tolerate the walking you do - maybe you could "step it up" a bit.
    Try carrying some weight - it seems 15% bodyweight is well tolerated - maybe go whole hog and check out rucking.
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/exercise/calories-burned/rucking-medium-pack-123300782

A youtube kettlebell instructor Mark Wildman made one video - "Sugar is the Devil" . . that's soda.
    You can change , it takes time. A while back I started drinking mostly water with just a little soda for flavour - now it's just water . . and black coffee , neat.
  • minnelizzy
    minnelizzy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    People like to share what worked for them. When you start a convo about weight you’re going to get their stories and opinions. And when I quit drinking I lost a significant amount of weight while doing nothing else so it happens 👍🏽🤷🏻‍♀️
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My main problem is drinking my calories as well, and i have a personal problem that when i drink just plain water, i get flashbacks to a very painful time when I only had water to drink. My PTSD and other problems cause me to put off exercise and drink more sodas. I very rarely drink alcohol but have 5 to 6 cans of soda per day. I wish i knew of an easier way to quit this cycle.

Could you add 100-200 ml of juice (I use apple juice) to say 500 ml of water and drink that? Or the juice of one lemon? Then it's not pure water so might not act as a trigger.

• natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It was very long discussion about counting calories and ways to count it with great precision. My question is : did you echoust all possibilities of doing CICA?
    I can't brag about loosing tons of lb ever in my life. Only once I had 170 lb in my last pregnancy day before giving birth. In one week after birthing I was allredy 130lb. From my 50 years experience (I m 66 y/o now) I know only one thing can bring your weight down. I was only fighting with 10 lb to be back at 120lb which is sufficient for my 5'5''. That may solve your problem - macros, be in low carb side. And calories deficit the same time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My husband lost significant weight by switching from Coke to diet Mountain Dew (the only diet drink he will tolerate). He has also lost a lot of weight by walking, but in that case it was backpacking for months at a time on the AT, PCT and CDT. Walking 15-20 miles a day does burn a lot of calories. Our usual 2 mile daily walks help with health, but aren't enough to allow him a lot of extra calories.
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I worked in care i learned something. Almost everyone seems to think the way they eat, drink and exercise is just normal, regardless of how odd it really is.

It's entirely possible that someone who drank vast amounts of beer could lose considerable weight if they stopped. It's even more likely that the mindless drunk snacking and takeaways on the way home from the pub would stop without them even noticing. They would assume that this is normal and assume it would work for others.

... much the same way that some people in this thread assume that nobody can lose weight from giving up beer.
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I told "IF YOU EXHOUSTED" all other ways to lose weight. The kye wordis EXHOUSTED
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,559 Member
    Options
    I lose weight by watching what I shove in my pie hole.

When I walked more, I ate more. It's only when I make a point of eating less cals than I burn that I see any movement on the scales.

For people that are very overweight, that simple advice can be highly effective.

For people who have ten pounds to go, it's a lot freaking harder and takes a lot more patience, self control and effort. Any under estimate of cals consumed or any over estimate of cals burned and no change to be found.

But...you're allowed to be frustrated. They're your feelings.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

Part of my job is facilities on a college campus. One day, maintenance brought me the pipe from the soda machine—the one the syrup went through before it mixed with the CO2, which needed to be replaced. Over time, the syrup had worn through the 1/4 inch steel. And the SMELL!!! Oh. My. God. (I actually gagged a little typing this.) Ended my soda drinking right then and there.

My experience was not intended and I don’t really recommend shock therapy. I do think diluting it with diet (more and more) is a great idea. Kinda like mixing broccoli in with the Mac and cheese so my nephew will eat his veggies. 😃
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    im sure it has been said, but depending on how long your plateau has been, check and see how accurate your logging is. plateaus happen, and sometimes for weeks on end. if the logging and weighing is correct though, they eventually break.

i went back several weeks in your diary and see no logging. you could be doing it elsewhere, but if we cant SEE it, the most solid advice anyone can tell you is to check your food amounts and logging.

stay strong, you've got this :)