50+ women getting ready for 2021!

Options

Replies

• edising
    edising Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Been a member for several years, and always fall off track shortly after starting. Really need to focus and get moving, my weight is interfering with my life.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I was going to post about my poor food choices yesterday and decided I need to focus on the positives instead. Please join in!

Today I did a 30 min upper body strength workout. And more important, while grocery shopping did not visit the Firecakes donut truck that was parked outside the store. I love baked goods and they make a really good donut. I also purchased a few different veggies.

What did you do to move in the right direction? Physically or mentally?

Looking forward to hearing good things.. and nothing is too small.
  • DomSav1234
    DomSav1234 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, I would like to see if I am able to get some motivation. I will be 50 in January and I would really like to feel better. My mind feels young and active but my body says "heck no, sit your fat butt down", looking to maybe get some motivation from others. Of course I would try and do the same, Hope you all have a wonderful holiday season !
  • sandypoint1267
    sandypoint1267 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am 58 years old. Have been overweight most of my life. Joined MFP in September. So far I have lost 20 pounds! Just keeping it simple. I log everything. Do yoga most mornings. Trying to add other excercise as well. Walking, stationary bike etc. Look forward to the journey .
  • Selftami
    Selftami Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you are so right and realistic, as it can't just be a diet or you can't enjoy life. I am slow and steady learning yet creeping up to that 52 mark and losing isn't easy anymore. I am with yall.
  • sandypoint1267
    Options
    Slow and steady ( and sustainable) is what I am striving for 😀
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Love that!
  • sandypoint1267
    Options
    Well said TMac ! That is exactly what I am striving for. A life well lived ( no bikini required ). ❤️
  • RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I came across the attached article written by Sarah Raphael in 2018, entitled “Women Don't 'Disappear' Over 50, They Are Our Most Valuable Role Models”. It really hit home for me.

My own narrative about weight loss and my journey that’s led me to MFP is more than that number on the scale. It’s about being the healthiest version of myself in all the four main pillars of health: physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, that will enable me to live the full, adventure filled life I aspire to. And, more importantly, it’s about believing I’m worthy of loving myself, regardless what the scale or anyone else says, because this is MY story and I’m in charge of writing what my next chapters are.

I look forward to reading what your new narratives are.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/inspiring-women-over-50
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I came across the attached article written by Sarah Raphael in 2018, entitled “Women Don't 'Disappear' Over 50, They Are Our Most Valuable Role Models”. It really hit home for me.

My own narrative about weight loss and my journey that’s led me to MFP is more than that number on the scale. It’s about being the healthiest version of myself in all the four main pillars of health: physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually, that will enable me to live the full, adventure filled life I aspire to. And, more importantly, it’s about believing I’m worthy of loving myself, regardless what the scale or anyone else says, because this is MY story and I’m in charge of writing what my next chapters are.

I look forward to reading what your new narratives are.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/inspiring-women-over-50

Great article..I'm not sure what my narrative is. And thats a bit frightening/scary. I need to do some soul searching.

At 59, I want to not think my self worth is related to my weight. Yet I want to continue to be healthy and get stronger so I can be that person that travels wherever I want solo (post covid obv), goes hiking and camping with my younger friends. And isn't afraid to say what's on my mind.

Thanks for the push to look inside myself.
  • RunningMaven57
    Options
    I watched this TED talk last and, while aimed specifically at raising kids, found there's a lot here related to my own Emotional Intelligence (EI). As a recovering perfectionist, throughout my life I've found it really easy to suppress how I was really feeling, unable to articulate why I was angry, depressed, hurt, or even frustrated. I also didn't know how to ask for help or even tell someone else I needed help, building a defensive wall around me that said to the outside world, she's alright and can do anything herself.

I've paid an incredible price for not having the emotional intelligence to "fix" myself. While seen as the "go to" person to get something done throughout my 35 year career, the hours spent at work took time away from family and the relationships I really cared about. I became repressive, angry, frustrated, because the "to do's" and endless task lists were keeping me from the very things I loved and, as a result, impacting my overall health.

It's been a year and a half since I retired from my career and it's take all that time to decompress and unlearn my destructive habits, and now I'm learning new healthy habits to take their place. I'm in a much healthier place now, using journalling to describe my feelings and breathing techniques to deal with frustration. I'm also learning how to ask for help, while learning how to be ok with others doing things their own way. I'm definitely not perfect at any of this and that's Ok. Life's in a much place.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    l41g3zbkcsji.jpg
  • RunningMaven57
    Options
    I watched this TED talk last and, while aimed specifically at raising kids, found there's a lot here related to my own Emotional Intelligence (EI). As a recovering perfectionist, throughout my life I've found it really easy to suppress how I was really feeling, unable to articulate why I was angry, depressed, hurt, or even frustrated. I also didn't know how to ask for help or even tell someone else I needed help, building a defensive wall around me that said to the outside world, she's alright and can do anything herself.

I've paid an incredible price for not having the emotional intelligence to "fix" myself. While seen as the "go to" person to get something done throughout my 35 year career, the hours spent at work took time away from family and the relationships I really cared about. I became repressive, angry, frustrated, because the "to do's" and endless task lists were keeping me from the very things I loved and, as a result, impacting my overall health.

It's been a year and a half since I retired from my career and it's take all that time to decompress and unlearn my destructive habits, and now I'm learning new healthy habits to take their place. I'm in a much healthier place now, using journalling to describe my feelings and breathing techniques to deal with frustration. I'm also learning how to ask for help, while learning how to be ok with others doing things their own way. I'm definitely not perfect at any of this and that's Ok. Life's in a much place.

Oops! See the video URL was missing. Here’s the talk: https://youtu.be/6fL09e8Tm9c

• RunningMaven57
    Options
    We've been focused on taking care of a four year old, to help out his mom and dad, both essential workers who work opposite shifts. Meal prep has centered around making food a four year old will actually eat, meaning my usual vegan fair is out.

Around midday our first day taking care of him, I gave up on stressing over what I was eating and started just enjoying his company and how he looks at the world. As a result, I wasn't scavenging the cupboards to eat his snacks, instead grabbing an apple or a handful of nuts to eat during his snacks, while we talked about his view of the world.

Today the scale is three pounds lighter and I feel great! Better yet, we've had a lovely visit with our grandson, that ends today with us delivering him to his other Grandparents for their turn.

I feel incredibly blessed to have been able to take care of him, home schooling and all. He's given me a perspective on life I really needed right now.

😀
  • suzzan5
    suzzan5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to have found this group. I'm 53 & have thyroid issues. Looking to get healthier & try some new recipes. I have tried ww before but really like counting calories vs points. Good luck to all :smile:
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    suzzan5 wrote: »
    I'm glad to have found this group. I'm 53 & have thyroid issues. Looking to get healthier & try some new recipes. I have tried ww before but really like counting calories vs points. Good luck to all :smile:

• newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I too have thyroid disease, thyroid cancer in 2016 at 54 with right lobe removed and Hashimotos Disease. Thyroid disease is a hideous disease that many underestimate. I understand your struggle! Even on 2 different meds every day is a battle for optimal health. MFP in conjunction with an exercise program has really helped me shed weight and feel better. I wish you the best on your journey to be the best you that you can be.