13»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Snugbug6 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    Unless you're talking crisps, fast food fries, or some prepacked frozen creation, it's just a vegetable! Lots of fibre and nutrients, and a healthier carb than bread.

Nothing wrong with crisps, fries or other stuff. Yeah, the nutritional value is probably not great, but it's food. I always make sure to add comfort food to my meals every now and then. Chunky chips with peanut sauce is fantastic! And if I really feel like eating a big bag of crisps then it's the bag of crisps instead of dinner, and still go over my calories. And enjoy the water weight gain the next day. :D

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fries. I'm a big fan of fish and chips! But they're not in the "just a vegetable" pile at that point. There's a line where I stop to consider salt and saturated fat intake, and whether it's the occasional treat or a bad habit that could impact future health.

Agreed!

Note to self: Don't read MFP while working :s
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    if you want to loose weight and just get it over with, then no potatoes just eat a meat ie protein and a green vegetable, so chicken and broccoli NO rice, salmon and green beans NO quinoa, steak and asparagus NO potatoes, eggs and spinach NO bread, something and something NO tortilla

protein + green veggie

you can thank me after 6 weeks! ha ha

You mean anyone who wants to crash diet. And it's called crash for a reason.

Call me crazy, but I thought mfp was a place for people who wanted to build lifelong healthy habits, not yo-yo diet.

Love this!!!!!!!

• kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes, sweet, yukon gold, mini potatoes, russet, you name it. Key is how you dress them up--high fat toppings means a caloric potato. Instead, I top sweet potatoes with a half tbsp. of maple syrup (25 calories), toss mini potatoes with carrots, onions, garlic, and olive oil and season with salt and spices. For mashed potatoes, I add some soy or almond milk, goya adobo seasoning, and a half tablespoon of plant based butter. Vegan mushroom gravy with peas, cut carrots, and onions is another delicious option. Or use them to top a shepherd's pie (mine is with lentils) after whipping with some plant milk (or real milk--I have a dairy allergy so I have to substitute) with a little paprika and cheese on top. As long as you watch portion sizes, you will be fine. My favorite weight loss tool is my food scale and measuring cups and spoons.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are food. Log them accurately, and as long as they fit into your calorie budget, go nuts. The statement "you could eat nothing but potatoes all day, every day, and still lose weight" is factually true, as long as you're eating fewer calories than your body consumes in the course of keeping you alive each day. It's factually true of any other food, too. It probably wouldn't be pleasant to be on the All Potatoes, All the Time diet - they'd be processed relatively quickly in your body so you'd be hungry all the time, and also you'd eventually develop vitamin deficiencies - but like, if your only metric of success is "weigh less," it would work.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Potatoes are food. Log them accurately, and as long as they fit into your calorie budget, go nuts. The statement "you could eat nothing but potatoes all day, every day, and still lose weight" is factually true, as long as you're eating fewer calories than your body consumes in the course of keeping you alive each day. It's factually true of any other food, too. It probably wouldn't be pleasant to be on the All Potatoes, All the Time diet - they'd be processed relatively quickly in your body so you'd be hungry all the time, and also you'd eventually develop vitamin deficiencies - but like, if your only metric of success is "weigh less," it would work.

There's at least one study showing that potatoes rank pretty high on the satiety scale for many people. I'm not saying it would be a particularly FUN diet for a lot of us, but eating just potatoes probably wouldn't be that bad for many in terms of actual physical hunger. I'd be at a deficit at 1,500 calories and eating 500 calories of potatoes three times a day . . . is a lot of potatoes.