Is BMI an accurate way to know how much I should weigh?

Replies

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited December 2020
    My experience differs from yours. I live in Canada, i've visited 10+ gyms and it's very common to see really muscular people. I started lifting really young and i've seen the progress of many young lifters, it didn't take long for them to build a considerable amount of muscle mass. Yes they lift heavy and eat a lot of food, but it's really not that difficult.

In general, we have lower levels of obesity particularly morbid obesity.
  • Mellouk89
    edited December 2020
    I'm talking about the average man, I speak in generalities. It's not an absolute statement.

Also the point is why go straight to bmi instead of using other measures that are just as valid?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Have you compared a DEXA scan to the Withings scale? We have an older scale and it isn't worth the powder to blow it to hell regarding getting a reading similar to DEXA scan.
    Yes. Here is a comparison:

A = Withings Body+ (9/30 at 6:10 am);
    B = DEXA scan (9/30 at 11:30 am)
    body fat: A = 49% , B = 44.5%
    weight (lb): A = 304.9, B = 305.0
    fat mass (lb): A = 150.8, B = 135.6
    lean mass (lb): A = 154.1, B = 169.4 (159.9 excluding bone mass)
    water mass (lb): A = 125.8, B = n/a
    bone mass (lb): A = 7.6, B = 9.5
    BMI: A = 40.4

Bioelectrical impedance isn't that accurate, especially when only feet are involved (vs feet and hands).
    I use it primarily to confirm that I'm losing fat mass and not lean mass.

Some doctors at Cedars-Sinai developed an alternative to BMI. It's called Body Fat Mass Index.
    Relative Fat Mass Index:
    Men: 64 – (20 x height/waist circumference) = RFM
    Women: 76 – (20 x height/waist circumference) = RFM
    https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/relative-fat-mass.html

So - since we've digressed the bejeepers out of this thread already - why not: What result does the RFM calculation yield, for you?

I'm curious, because the result it gives for me - especially if I measure my "waist" at just above the top of my pelvic bones as directed in the article, rather than at natural waist - is . . . improbable, IMO. I understand that the article says RFM is "roughly equal to your body fat percentage." Maybe they define "roughly" differently than I do?

I'm as capable as the next person of having pleasant delusions about my body composition, but the "Navy calculator" says 23%, BIA scale says 23.3%, visual (my own biased eyes, photos like those on an earlier page in the thread) would be mid-twenties % (high teens upper body look, 25-30 lower body look, roughly), BMI 20.6.

RFM, using natural waist = 29. (OK, maybe that's roughly roughly. Very roughly.)
    RFM, using top of hip bone as instructed in article = 34. Huh?

I'm not truly bizarre in body geometry, either, I swear. Definitely within the range of normal human females.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Have you compared a DEXA scan to the Withings scale? We have an older scale and it isn't worth the powder to blow it to hell regarding getting a reading similar to DEXA scan.
    Yes. Here is a comparison:

A = Withings Body+ (9/30 at 6:10 am);
    B = DEXA scan (9/30 at 11:30 am)
    body fat: A = 49% , B = 44.5%
    weight (lb): A = 304.9, B = 305.0
    fat mass (lb): A = 150.8, B = 135.6
    lean mass (lb): A = 154.1, B = 169.4 (159.9 excluding bone mass)
    water mass (lb): A = 125.8, B = n/a
    bone mass (lb): A = 7.6, B = 9.5
    BMI: A = 40.4

Bioelectrical impedance isn't that accurate, especially when only feet are involved (vs feet and hands).
    I use it primarily to confirm that I'm losing fat mass and not lean mass.

Some doctors at Cedars-Sinai developed an alternative to BMI. It's called Body Fat Mass Index.
    Relative Fat Mass Index:
    Men: 64 – (20 x height/waist circumference) = RFM
    Women: 76 – (20 x height/waist circumference) = RFM
    https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/relative-fat-mass.html

So - since we've digressed the bejeepers out of this thread already - why not: What result does the RFM calculation yield, for you?

I'm curious, because the result it gives for me - especially if I measure my "waist" at just above the top of my pelvic bones as directed in the article, rather than at natural waist - is . . . improbable, IMO. I understand that the article says RFM is "roughly equal to your body fat percentage." Maybe they define "roughly" differently than I do?

I'm as capable as the next person of having pleasant delusions about my body composition, but the "Navy calculator" says 23%, BIA scale says 23.3%, visual (my own biased eyes, photos like those on an earlier page in the thread) would be mid-twenties % (high teens upper body look, 25-30 lower body look, roughly), BMI 20.6.

RFM, using natural waist = 29. (OK, maybe that's roughly roughly. Very roughly.)
    RFM, using top of hip bone as instructed in article = 34. Huh?

I'm not truly bizarre in body geometry, either, I swear. Definitely within the range of normal human females.

It's almost as if this suggests that ANY one metric can be off for a certain percentage of people (or can be mismeasured by some people) and it's best to consider several and think critically about the ones that give unexpected results. :smile:
  • Mellouk89
    I wasn't talking about very muscular men, I gave a conservative exemple of someone who put on 10-15lbs of muscles. I already said after a year OR MORE you can gain more than that.

Also what is the threshold for someone to be well over the range of healthy bmi?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,022 Member
    edited December 2020
    Repeating: OP is female.

The fact that a minority percentage of muscular young men can be at an ideal weight at something over the normal BMI range is of limited relevance. (I strongly suspect it's a minority percentage, i.e., less than 50%, but I can't prove it.) **

The thread is not about muscular young men, insofar as the OP defines the topic.

Do any other old people hear faint strains of something by Carly Simon? 🤣 (Nah, JK.)

** Fun slideshow about NFL players who lost weight after their playing careers, fuel for both fires burning here, in a sense:

https://thesportsdrop.com/20-nfl-players-that-lost-a-ton-of-weight/

"After" BMIs of those players, men who are selected to be huge in the first place, and do their professionally-guided utmost to add muscle mass (and some fat mass, while playing, i.e., eat in a surplus), though they are not of course bodybuilders; those not labeled are overweight BMI:

kgddtmsfpsb9.jpg

ETA: To me, some of the "after" look like they still have some fat they could lose, though most look pretty lean even at the higher BMIs; some at the low end look maybe a little excessively lean . . . but that's JMO in both instances
  • Mellouk89
    edited December 2020
    I could give my own exemple but I don't know if it's good enough for you, after 2 and a half years of weightlifting I was 17% body fat at a bmi of 28. That's not elite bodybuilder status.

That fullback is ok but he's not that muscular. He's tiny compared to the average fullback in the NFL that's for sure. The average NFL FB is 5'11 215ish pounds.

Edit : Actually that was for running backs, fullbacks are even bigger at 6'1 245lbs on average.

Also i'm just replying to people who quote me or bring up that topic, I have moved on personally.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,178 Member
    I've enjoyed reading the comments here. It's been entertaining.

I suspect that people who have a problem with BMI are those that fall outside the range. Telling them they're not far outside the range doesn't help. Who doesn't want to be considered "normal/healthy"? And BMI is no help to these people (like myself) when we are trying to set a goal weight for ourselves.

I laugh when I see baseball caps advertised as "one size fits all". I wear a size 62 cm hat. Thanks for telling me I don't count. Some are starting to say "one size fits most" (truth in advertising, thank you).

A lot of sites that have BMI calculators give the ranges and imply that your BMI accurately categorizes you in one of those ranges. Again, false advertising: "one size does not fit all."

If you're happy with BMI, great. But please don't tell me it is a better indicator of body health than all the other alternatives. Or that it isn't perfect, but it is sufficient. (BTW, I'm not accusing anyone of saying that)

I must admit, I'm perplexed that some people react negatively to the suggestion that measuring more than height and weight (e.g. circumference of neck, waist, hips...) might provide a better metric, as if that can't be more accurate.

So in conclusion, BMI -- just like your typical baseball cap -- does not work for me. And to monitor my health, I want information about fat mass, lean mass, bone mass, and VAT (visceral adipose tissue). Additionally, I want information about my cardiovascular fitness.

But to each his own.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    I think the point that seems to keep getting glossed over is that BMI is just one of many markers...