Vegan, Keto, Paleo, & Carnivore - Which do you tend to lean towards or neither?

13»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I'm a fully capable flexible dieter. It has its place in certain parts of my life. Though my everyday fare lends itself more of a paleo/Mediterranean style.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I eat whatever I feel like. Now, I seem to naturally prefer stuff that doesn't involve much bread, rice, etc... BUT I don't do low carb, I still eat some pasta and I eat plenty of vegetables, fruit, oats etc, and I love an occasional frozen pizza
  • DeniseSalsera
    DeniseSalsera Posts: 15 Member
    Keto, GF, IF, vegetarian, "clean"eating, currently vegan. I have IBS so that's the reason for the ping-pong dieting. Vegan is working (i.e. I'm not constantly sick) for now, but it's terribly antisocial which I suppose during this pandemic is not such a bad thing.
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    I eat a plant-based diet and, honestly, I feel like I've unlocked the cheat code for life. I'm not gonna preach to anyone but if you want to feel good, come hang out with me for a day.

Unfortunately the WFPB didn't work for me. I followed Neal Barnard and Michael Gregor principals. Also did fruits and raw. My body just didn't agree with me. But glad it's working out for you.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm an omnivore who counts calories. I believe any food can fit into a healthy diet at the right portion and frequency level.

If I could perfect the proportions of foods to the healthiest mix I enjoy, it would probably be closest to Mediterranean, with still a bit too much pizza and ice cream. I've made it to 47 with no health issues and never wandering outside of the healthy weight range, so I figure I'm doing ok, knock on wood. I see nothing in the thousands of years of human history that suggests we need to follow any specific diet.

There’s no way you’re 47! Just, how?!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    I'm an omnivore who counts calories. I believe any food can fit into a healthy diet at the right portion and frequency level.

If I could perfect the proportions of foods to the healthiest mix I enjoy, it would probably be closest to Mediterranean, with still a bit too much pizza and ice cream. I've made it to 47 with no health issues and never wandering outside of the healthy weight range, so I figure I'm doing ok, knock on wood. I see nothing in the thousands of years of human history that suggests we need to follow any specific diet.

:lol: Thank you. The pizza and ice cream longevity diet! (I suspect it has more to do with good genes and staying out of the sun because I'm vampire colored)
  • FourWindsWalker
    FourWindsWalker Posts: 143 Member
    edited December 2020
    I leaned more toward the pescatarian lifestyle with tons of veggies and fruit. Now that Im back home and taking care of my mom, it had been a challenge. No more. I feel my overall health is just as important as hers.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member

:lol: Thank you. The pizza and ice cream longevity diet! (I suspect it has more to do with good genes and staying out of the sun because I'm vampire colored)

Why don’t they have an LOL button? 😂 at “vampire colored”.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    None of these. My dietary goal isn't weight loss, I'm aiming for increased protein and low sodium (< 1500). Although my eating preference is vegetarian I just wasn't doing well at getting a good amount of protein so I gradually moved to a pescetarian diet. I also try to incorporate principles of OmniHeart in my choices, for heart health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

I'm vampire colored too, and 91.9% Northern European.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    bubus05 wrote: »
    LOL I am keto alongside my wife, my brother and his wife full vegan, the only thing we agree on is IF-how they can do vegan with IF is a mystery to me they swear it's great. Sadly family dinners are a rarity.

Why is it a mystery how vegans can do IF?
    Exactly my thought when I read that! I’d love to know what the stumbling block would be?

🧐🤷‍♀️

I guess it would depend on how limited the eating window was, but my assumption was that the difficulty would be if one was trying to eat a lot of bulky, low calorie foods in a shorter window.

(I do realize there are plenty of calorie dense vegan foods; just sayin'.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    LOL I am keto alongside my wife, my brother and his wife full vegan, the only thing we agree on is IF-how they can do vegan with IF is a mystery to me they swear it's great. Sadly family dinners are a rarity.

Exactly my thought when I read that! I’d love to know what the stumbling block would be?

🧐🤷‍♀️

I guess it would depend on how limited the eating window was, but my assumption was that the difficulty would be if one was trying to eat a lot of bulky, low calorie foods in a shorter window.

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't realize how truly varied vegan ways of eating can be. Yes, there are vegans who eat a lot of bulky and low calorie foods, but there are also vegans who eat very differently. I eat a pretty high volume diet, but I ate that way as a non-vegan too. It's all about individual preference, which you know.

My breakfast this morning was a very low volume chia pudding -- mostly chia seeds and coconut milk, with some blended pineapple for sweetness. 500 calories and just a few spoonfuls!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,023 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

🧐🤷‍♀️

Yeah, I think a lot of people don't realize how truly varied vegan ways of eating can be. Yes, there are vegans who eat a lot of bulky and low calorie foods, but there are also vegans who eat very differently. I eat a pretty high volume diet, but I ate that way as a non-vegan too. It's all about individual preference, which you know.

My breakfast this morning was a very low volume chia pudding -- mostly chia seeds and coconut milk, with some blended pineapple for sweetness. 500 calories and just a few spoonfuls!

I think some people imagine that vegans sit around all day gnawing on raw parsnips or something. 🙄😆
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Keto cycling with low carb bread ocasionally, pescarian, full fat dairy and fat meat lover