does walking for 2 hours really burn 400-500ish cals???!!

13»

Replies

• RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    According to my Fitbit yesterday, I walked 1.67 miles for 46.19 mins, with an average pace at 27'39" and burned 296 Calories. It's been pretty accurate. The faster the pace, the more calories. There's other factors to take in consideration, but yes, 2hrs you can do some serious burn if you have a good steady pace and heart rate is up.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    According to my Fitbit yesterday, I walked 1.67 miles for 46.19 mins, with an average pace at 27'39" and burned 296 Calories. It's been pretty accurate. The faster the pace, the more calories. There's other factors to take in consideration, but yes, 2hrs you can do some serious burn if you have a good steady pace and heart rate is up.

That's actually pretty slow, isn't it? I thought average walking speed was around 3-4mph.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member

That's actually pretty slow, isn't it? I thought average walking speed was around 3-4mph.

I think it really depends on the person, stride, inseam length, etc. I find 3.1 mph my "natural" walking-for-health pace, about 2.8 mph when strolling around with friends, 3.4 mph is my cardio pace. I definitely wouldn't call 4 mph an "average walking speed", it's pretty brisk.
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member

It didn't feel like it. If you try out 3-4 mph on a treadmill, then this is more like a race for speed walking. 2.18 MPH is a good average range I believe.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

It didn't feel like it. If you try out 3-4 mph on a treadmill, then this is more like a race for speed walking. 2.18 MPH is a good average range I believe.

2mph is slow!

From compendium of physical activities:
    walking, 2.0 mph, level, slow pace, firm surface
    walking, 2.8 to 3.2 mph, level, moderate pace, firm surface
    walking, 3.5 mph, level, brisk, firm surface, walking for exercise
    6.5mph race walking
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

2mph is slow!

From compendium of physical activities:
    walking, 2.0 mph, level, slow pace, firm surface
    walking, 2.8 to 3.2 mph, level, moderate pace, firm surface
    walking, 3.5 mph, level, brisk, firm surface, walking for exercise
    6.5mph race walking

It could be, but nevertheless, my dogs enjoyed it, i'm still getting out moving daily, and still burning calories, and still losing weight! So yeah, I still say it's winning in my book. :smile:
    @RashadLavelle
    Totally agree with that sentiment but it does point towards your Fitbit estimate being extremely exaggerated. You aren't doing enough work (in the physics sense of moving mass over distance) to burn a lot of calories.
    There isn't a direct relationship between heartrate and calories and it is a poor method to estimate calories for walking.

You (and your dogs!) would get more fitness benefit from that time period if you walked faster and further.

Update: So I went to go walk, same pace and to duplicate the same walking route. The first time it tracked my pace wrong. My actual pace was 16'47". I went to the Pace Calculator and it shows I was walking 3.59 MPH. So before I used the fit app on my phone to track, which showed up slower, and this time I used my actual Fitbit watch, which seems to be more accurate. Thanks for bringing up this error. I'll start using my watch for walking from now on instead of the actual app on my phone.

That’s awesome! Love when those Aha! moments happen.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    OP- how’s the walking to/from work going? Are you loving it? Long walks are my jam!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,128 Member
    You might figure about 3 calories/minute for walking at a good pace.

My apologies to all for the above obviously erroneous estimate.

I get different estimates from my sport watch, a treadmill and a recumbent bike. The treadmill and bike are old and offer no connectivity, so my sport watch can't interface with them. The recumbent bike tells me my power output, but it doesn't know my heart rate. My watch knows my heart rate, but doesn't know how far I've gone (unless riding my mountain bike) nor how much energy (power) I've expended. If I had money to burn, I'd buy a power meter for my bike.

Anyway, I generally average around 5 to 10 calories per minute, depending on activity and effort. I get a higher heart rate while swimming than while biking, and yet I seem to average a lower calorie burn. I suppose the assumption is swimming provides less friction, but that doesn't make sense to me.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    You might figure about 3 calories/minute for walking at a good pace.

My apologies to all for the above obviously erroneous estimate.

I get different estimates from my sport watch, a treadmill and a recumbent bike. The treadmill and bike are old and offer no connectivity, so my sport watch can't interface with them. The recumbent bike tells me my power output, but it doesn't know my heart rate. My watch knows my heart rate, but doesn't know how far I've gone (unless riding my mountain bike) nor how much energy (power) I've expended. If I had money to burn, I'd buy a power meter for my bike.

Anyway, I generally average around 5 to 10 calories per minute, depending on activity and effort. I get a higher heart rate while swimming than while biking, and yet I seem to average a lower calorie burn. I suppose the assumption is swimming provides less friction, but that doesn't make sense to me.

You were right the first time, imho. 3, 3.5, maybe 4 calories per minute is a good generic, ballpark estimate for net walking calories, subject to variables such as one's weight, pace, etc.

10 calories per minute is not realistic unless you're talking very high power output, more than most would sustain in a typical cardio or especially walking session. One would have to be working out HARD, or be seriously obese and doing weight-bearing exercise, to burn cals at that pace. 10 per minute is the kind of BS estimate exercise machines often display, using a brew of gross instead of net cals and magical thinking to help sell machines. Treadmills and bikes sell faster when they can be marketed as burning off 600/hr rather than the more honest 200-ish.