Bone broth question...

Options
A new place near my home popped up that serves bone broth. I've heard of it, tried to understand why people would drink it, but I kinda wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and is it something you do often? Do you use it to replace meals or snacks?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    You normally don't drink any both (beef or chicken, which are the main ones) "straight" unless you make a consumme w/it.

Boths are generally used as a base for soups or for braised meat dishes, ususlly beef or poultry.

Chicken broth is used in all kinds of dishes but I mainly use it to make various soups, such as lentil, split pea, cauliflower, chicken and rice and chicken gumbo among others.

Beef both is always an ingredient used to make dishes as such beef stew, pot roast and braised oxtails, and can also be used to make hearty soups like beef & barley.
  • discolady74
    discolady74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lemurcat and headkayce, thank you. I do remember consomme as a kid, and I have always loved sipping broths instead of having noodles and small pieces of veg or meat in it.. thank you for the kinks you both provided. I'm going to check them out. And Snowflake, yes, there is such thing as leaky gut.
  • discolady74
    discolady74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    janejellyroll -- thank you for the heads up on that website. I appreciate it!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    headkayce wrote: »
    Broth is a nutrient dense superfood that a lot of people who follow a paleo/keto lifestyle enjoy regularly. There are tons of people who actually do drink broth by itself (I'm one of them!). When it is prepared properly, it contains lots of vitamins and minerals as well as glucosamine and chondroitin. Broth is known to be very healing particularly to the stomach lining. People drink it regularly as a part of a healthy lifestyle to heal a leaky gut or maintain a healthy gut. If you want some more information about broth, check out this article on the Weston Price website:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/why-broth-is-beautiful-essential-roles-for-proline-glycine-and-gelatin/

I hope this helps!

OP, I'd be very skeptical of links from the Weston A. Price Foundation -- they are a conduit for sources of misinformation, including about Corona.

^ So. Much. This.

Bone broth is just broth made from bones. Like it has been forever. It's not a superfood, it doesn't have any curative powers - especially 'leaky gut' because that's not even a real thing.

It's just broth. I use it as a base for soups and stews, just like I always have. It's yummy.

What makes me laugh is what some stores are charging for their store-made 'Bone Broth' just because it's the latest caboose on the woo-woo train.

Did I mention it's just broth? <3

I've seen small containers selling for $7-9 in my city. Absolutely ridiculous.

PT Barnum would be proud. :D
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It's just broth. I use it as a base for soups and stews, just like I always have. It's yummy.

What makes me laugh is what some stores are charging for their store-made 'Bone Broth' just because it's the latest caboose on the woo-woo train.

This drives me crazy too.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    But but it’s MAGIC!!! I thought I could use it to grow a bean stalk? That won’t work?!?!
    I would like a refund! 😂😂😂😂