Bone broth question...

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    headkayce wrote: »
    Broth is a nutrient dense superfood that a lot of people who follow a paleo/keto lifestyle enjoy regularly. There are tons of people who actually do drink broth by itself (I'm one of them!). When it is prepared properly, it contains lots of vitamins and minerals as well as glucosamine and chondroitin. Broth is known to be very healing particularly to the stomach lining. People drink it regularly as a part of a healthy lifestyle to heal a leaky gut or maintain a healthy gut. If you want some more information about broth, check out this article on the Weston Price website:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/why-broth-is-beautiful-essential-roles-for-proline-glycine-and-gelatin/

I hope this helps!

OP, I'd be very skeptical of links from the Weston A. Price Foundation -- they are a conduit for sources of misinformation, including about Corona.

^ So. Much. This.

Bone broth is just broth made from bones. Like it has been forever. It's not a superfood, it doesn't have any curative powers - especially 'leaky gut' because that's not even a real thing.

It's just broth. I use it as a base for soups and stews, just like I always have. It's yummy.

What makes me laugh is what some stores are charging for their store-made 'Bone Broth' just because it's the latest caboose on the woo-woo train.

Did I mention it's just broth? <3

I've seen small containers selling for $7-9 in my city. Absolutely ridiculous.

Add "Organic" to the label and you can double that. ;)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    And the piece de resistance?

n8l6q4g5s8ym.jpg

Yup. Let that sink in. :D

Wait what?!?! How is bone broth VEGAN?!?! I’m so confused right now 😂😂😂
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My wife makes bone broth every week. I do believe there are health benefits but yes they are likely overblown. Buying pre-made bone broth at stores or restaurants is likely really expensive. My wife will buy cheap bones from the market and use the instant pot to make it into broth.

I'll drink a cup of bone broth every other day or so. I don't drink it for its health benefits - I drink it because it tastes so damn good!!!!

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

n8l6q4g5s8ym.jpg

My daughter is vegetarian. I've looked at some of these recipes. I believe they are more geared toward collagen production. That's allegedly why bone broth is supposed to be good for you. It has lots of glycine in it. But that's where the science gets suspect on bone broth. Even though glycine is a building block of collagen, the science of whether or not eating collagen makes more collagen is iffy.

The vegan versions concentrate on other things known (and in some cases more scientific) in helping to either improve gut health or make collagen. The Sunwarrior new "Collagen" mix has Horsetail extract in it. Though I don't think that's the best source of absorbable silica, it has silica (or silicon) in it. Eating absorbably silicon is THE best way to help your own body make collagen. BioSil, Green Beans, some mineral waters, Bamboo Extracts and non-alcholic beer are the best sources of this. I try to eat Green Beans once a week. Fantastic for building collagen.

Changing the makeup of the human microbiome quickly is extremely challenging. One of the very few things that scientists have found that improves it quickly is seaweed (like Fucoidon, which is a brown seaweed derivative). Some of these "vegan broths" have seaweed.

I guess what I'm saying is there's likely more science behind some of the "vegan broths" or at least as much as actual bone broth.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    headkayce wrote: »
    Broth is a nutrient dense superfood that a lot of people who follow a paleo/keto lifestyle enjoy regularly. There are tons of people who actually do drink broth by itself (I'm one of them!). When it is prepared properly, it contains lots of vitamins and minerals as well as glucosamine and chondroitin. Broth is known to be very healing particularly to the stomach lining. People drink it regularly as a part of a healthy lifestyle to heal a leaky gut or maintain a healthy gut. If you want some more information about broth, check out this article on the Weston Price website:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/why-broth-is-beautiful-essential-roles-for-proline-glycine-and-gelatin/

I hope this helps!

OP, I'd be very skeptical of links from the Weston A. Price Foundation -- they are a conduit for sources of misinformation, including about Corona.

^ So. Much. This.

Bone broth is just broth made from bones. Like it has been forever. It's not a superfood, it doesn't have any curative powers - especially 'leaky gut' because that's not even a real thing.

It's just broth. I use it as a base for soups and stews, just like I always have. It's yummy.

What makes me laugh is what some stores are charging for their store-made 'Bone Broth' just because it's the latest caboose on the woo-woo train.

Did I mention it's just broth? <3

"Leaky Gut" has become a synonym for all the garbage advice out there all over the internet from guys like "Dr Axe" claiming that bone broth cures everything under the sun. While I vehemently disagree with some of his "medical" advice, it has been scientifically proven that the stomach is permeable. And in certain people, more so.

We have to be careful when we say "leaky gut isn't a thing", because technically, that's not true. What is true is that of all the "leaky gut" advice out there, 99% of it is utter and complete BS.

I do a lot of technical recruiting. The microbiome space is one area that I work. Just one example. There is a bacteria called Akermansia Municiphilia (I might have spelled it wrong). That bacteria has been shown to assist in creating a more tight junction in the stomach. Ocean Spray actually did a study on it years ago because Cranberries help this one bacteria flourish in the stomach. That's why there's some truth to what a guy like Stephen Gundry says about Polyphenols being critical to your health (but there's a lot I disagree with him on, especially how everyone needs to buy his supplements at $60 a jar).

I'm also celiac. Part of the reason I get sick is that gluten increases the permeability of my stomach (that's scientifically demonstrated).

I don't want to get into much more or find the studies, but they are readily available.

Thank you! I am not celiac diagnosed but gluten is a major migraine trigger for me. My doctors have cited the same info you have given and more!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

n8l6q4g5s8ym.jpg

My daughter is vegetarian. I've looked at some of these recipes. I believe they are more geared toward collagen production. That's allegedly why bone broth is supposed to be good for you. It has lots of glycine in it. But that's where the science gets suspect on bone broth. Even though glycine is a building block of collagen, the science of whether or not eating collagen makes more collagen is iffy.

The vegan versions concentrate on other things known (and in some cases more scientific) in helping to either improve gut health or make collagen. The Sunwarrior new "Collagen" mix has Horsetail extract in it. Though I don't think that's the best source of absorbable silica, it has silica (or silicon) in it. Eating absorbably silicon is THE best way to help your own body make collagen. BioSil, Green Beans, some mineral waters, Bamboo Extracts and non-alcholic beer are the best sources of this. I try to eat Green Beans once a week. Fantastic for building collagen.

Changing the makeup of the human microbiome quickly is extremely challenging. One of the very few things that scientists have found that improves it quickly is seaweed (like Fucoidon, which is a brown seaweed derivative). Some of these "vegan broths" have seaweed.

I guess what I'm saying is there's likely more science behind some of the "vegan broths" or at least as much as actual bone broth.

That makes sense. Thanks!

My only objection is the use of "bone" as a descriptor, here. Obviously done to piggy-back on a trend to which they simply shouldn't be laying any claim or association. :)

Here's a bit of a rethink on the terminology (just for fun, joking around):

Given Mike's comments, it sounds like at least some of the vegan "bone broth" recipes are potentially nutritionally good for a person's bones. Meaty-type bone broth is made from bones.

Maybe both are legitimately "bone broth", for different reasons, with different meanings? 😉😆🤣
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    A new place near my home popped up that serves bone broth. I've heard of it, tried to understand why people would drink it, but I kinda wanted to know if anyone out there has tried it and is it something you do often? Do you use it to replace meals or snacks?

Bone broth typically has more protein than chicken, beef, or Turkey stock. Like stock, it can be high in sodium, if that’s a concern for you. Drinking a cup was very convenient for me at work when my meetings were running together and I needed a little something. More satisfying for me than cuppa soup. I’d just heat it up in the microwave; everyone usually has their cup o’something. If you ever decide to do that, be sure and get bone broth labeled “perfect for sipping.” Believe me, it’s not all that way! 😂
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

n8l6q4g5s8ym.jpg

That makes sense. Thanks!

My only objection is the use of "bone" as a descriptor, here. Obviously done to piggy-back on a trend to which they simply shouldn't be laying any claim or association. :)

Here's a bit of a rethink on the terminology (just for fun, joking around):

Given Mike's comments, it sounds like at least some of the vegan "bone broth" recipes are potentially nutritionally good for a person's bones. Meaty-type bone broth is made from bones.

Maybe both are legitimately "bone broth", for different reasons, with different meanings? 😉😆🤣

Wee bit of a stretch, but I'll give it to you. o:)