Cold weather cycling and walking gear

Options
2»

Replies

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Mostly my issue has been frozen toes, more so with biking than walking, but after an hour or so they’re pretty chilly no matter what.

No socks are making this better, so I guess I’ll have to buy some hiking boots. Have been trying to avoid shoe shopping bc I have wide feet and sometimes they’re tough to find locally.

The gloves are on my Christmas list for sure. My regular little gloves are not wind proof at all. So so cold.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! Mostly my issue has been frozen toes, more so with biking than walking, but after an hour or so they’re pretty chilly no matter what.

No socks are making this better, so I guess I’ll have to buy some hiking boots. Have been trying to avoid shoe shopping bc I have wide feet and sometimes they’re tough to find locally.

The gloves are on my Christmas list for sure. My regular little gloves are not wind proof at all. So so cold.

Probably not needed for cycling, but I got some insulated hiking winter boots so I can walk in deepish snow and they are heaven sent for cold weather. 🤗
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Covid has pushed me out of the gym and into the elements. What are your must have gear for cold weather cycling and walking?

I’m new to cycling, and my toes are frozen after more rides now, so clearly I need some tips!

Cycling I have fleece lined bib tights, long fingered cycling gloves with fleece inserts as well as lobster mitts depending on how cold it is. Up top I I wear a merino wool pull over under a long sleeved cycling jersey and my wind proof cycling jacket. I have a tight fitting skull cap for my head and ears and my helmet fits easily over it...I also have a neck gaiter and can pull it up over my mouth and nose if needed. I have neoprene over boots for my shoes. I used to cycle quite a bit in colder weather, but I find all of that gear to be rather uncomfortable...if it's below about 35-40* I usually train indoors on my trainer.

I walk pretty much every morning and morning temps right now are about mid 20s. I have a nice pair of windproof, fleece lined "sweat pants"...merino wool pullover with another long sleeve shirt, heavy jacket, beanie, and gloves. Gearing up for a walk doesn't annoy me as much as gearing up for a ride.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Have you tried the neoprene booties that go over your shoes for your feet? I find they help quite a bit.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I ride outdoors in cold weather fairly frequently (as well as inside on my trainer, lol). For keeping my toes warm, two solutions beyond wool socks that I use. The first is the neoprene overshoe type booties that fit right over your cycling shoes. Really helps keep the wind flow from freezing your toes. Second option is a neoprene toe sock. This is a half sock that covers the front half of your foot. Its worn inside your cycling shoes, over your base layer sock. Both options work very well for me.

Good luck.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I switched to merino wool tops last year, base layer and long sleeve jersey. As a heavy sweater, I find nothing really keeps me warm once I'm drenched. It's not an exaggeration or a matter of overdressing. Wool is only thing that keeps me warm while wet. The synthetic stuff is useless once it's wet especially when the intensity is cut back like on top of a climb, and it takes for ever to dry.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options

No socks?

Never tried that but silk liners w/most any socks (even wool) have always worked for me. If really cold, I add a 2nd silk or polyproplene liner

IkAs 4 bo9ts, have wide feet too and Keen are the best brand I've found/bought for the that - at least 4 the toe. The heels are another matter bc, while I gave wide toes, I also have narrow heels but the Keens are the best fit that I've found.

They're great for hiking but doubt they'd be much good for biking unless you use standard (not clipless) pedals