Eating Meat after 17 Years of being Vegetarian to Build Muscle - Good Decision?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I"m not a vegetarian/vegan but am not opposed to the idea. If it works for you great. I just wasn't raised as one and have felt no need to become one.

That said, I have looked into the topic on occasion and, from what I've read, while there are some vitamin deficiencies (like B12) to be aware of that may require supplementation, getting enough protein from non-meat sources is NOT a significant problem.

For an article that makes the same point, see for example: https://www.thehealthy.com/nutrition/vitamin-deficiency-vegetarian-vegan/

• misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for sharing your personal experiences. I forgot to mention one important thing - I have been intermittent fasting for a long time (just recently started tracking my macros). I also have a 30+ BMI since giving birth a few years back which is why my short term goal is fat loss (long term goal - body recomposition). Based on personal research, which I might be wrong but I am always open to learning, moderate carb intake is important when trying to lose fat as opposed to high carb intake. I am not on a low carb diet but after tracking my macros, the data I received demonstrated that carbs where taking up a much higher amount than my protein in my diet.

Most importantly, my daily eating window of 8 hours is 7am-3pm. In order for me to meet my 105 grams of protein within that window, I had to eat larger amounts of vegetarian protein rich foods and I was feeling so full. I felt like I was entering an eating contest trying to meet my macros by 3pmish which didn't feel natural nor sustainable. I'm sure if I wasn't intermittent fasting, splitting up my protein intake between meals through plant-based sources would be less challenging for me.

Due to this and after researching, I realized chicken and seafood has a higher protein amount through way smaller portions so I decided to try this for convenience. I respect vegan and vegetarian lifestyles and have benefitted from them regardless and plan on still incorporating plant-based.

Also, in case this might help anyone making a transition or thinking about it, today is Day 3 as an omnivore and my body reacted quite well. I haven't felt sick, sluggish, or queasy. My digestion has been the same to be honest. The taste and texture are still not enjoyable but I am that will change in time. So far, I've had salmon and chicken. I can always go back to plant-based if omnivore diet is not for me.

Thanks you everyone for taking the time to provide and share your personal experiences. :)
  • misslizzierod
    Options
    Seems like I need to really do some research on carbs. There is so much conflicting information online. Thanks for the info everyone!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,141 Member
    Options
    Seems like I need to really do some research on carbs. There is so much conflicting information online. Thanks for the info everyone!

It's one of several recent trendy marketing points. If weight loss were, say, a straightforward matter of counting calories, how would hundreds or thousands of people make money by selling books, supplements, special diet plans, etc.? In other words, be really careful about sources, note what their monetization strategy is.

(Truth in advertising:

I'm another in the "calories determine weight loss" camp. I think I only implied the number in my previous posts, but I lost weight just fine while eating 150g+ carbs most days . . . from BMI 30+, at age 59-60, while hypothyroid (treated), in less than a year, while vegetarian, losing down to BMI in the lower 20s; and I've been eating 200g+ carbs most days to maintain that healthy weight for 5 years since.

There are a lot of marketers out there who will tell you that low carb is essential for weight loss. Low carb can be a great strategy, for those it suits: Some find it helps them with appetite control, and appetite control makes it easier to stick with a reasonable calorie goal. If that's true of you (or if you have a health condition like diabetes that requires carb management), then low carb eating may be helpful. On the other hand, some people find low carb eating unpleasant, unsustainable, or unnecessary . . . sometimes even find that it tanks their energy level. Those people will probably do better eating more carbs.

IMO, experimentation with low carb for a few weeks, just calorie counting on a preferred nutritious balanced way of eating for a few weeks, will tell you everything that's important *for you* about carb intake level.)
  • misslizzierod
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's one of several recent trendy marketing points. If weight loss were, say, a straightforward matter of counting calories, how would hundreds or thousands of people make money by selling books, supplements, special diet plans, etc.? In other words, be really careful about sources, note what their monetization strategy is.

(Truth in advertising:

I'm another in the "calories determine weight loss" camp. I think I only implied the number in my previous posts, but I lost weight just fine while eating 150g+ carbs most days . . . from BMI 30+, at age 59-60, while hypothyroid (treated), in less than a year, while vegetarian, losing down to BMI in the lower 20s; and I've been eating 200g+ carbs most days to maintain that healthy weight for 5 years since.

There are a lot of marketers out there who will tell you that low carb is essential for weight loss. Low carb can be a great strategy, for those it suits: Some find it helps them with appetite control, and appetite control makes it easier to stick with a reasonable calorie goal. If that's true of you (or if you have a health condition like diabetes that requires carb management), then low carb eating may be helpful. On the other hand, some people find low carb eating unpleasant, unsustainable, or unnecessary . . . sometimes even find that it tanks their energy level. Those people will probably do better eating more carbs.

IMO, experimentation with low carb for a few weeks, just calorie counting on a preferred nutritious balanced way of eating for a few weeks, will tell you everything that's important *for you* about carb intake level.)

That’s impressive! Congratulations on the weight loss and greater health. Thank you for sharing your experience of weight loss without the use of a low carb diet and for this helpful information!