Not losing weight in a deficit

Options

Replies

• DonnaMiles1966
    DonnaMiles1966 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The stair climber shows 100 cal burnt in 10 minutes maybe because I have the pace/level set toggling between 5 and 8, but like go hard most of the time on there with a slow to 5 until I catch my breath, lol. Sundays I generally don't log anything, as is my main day off, but continue to stay around the 1300 deficit. As for the bread, I don't share my loaf, my son hates it. He's a naughty white bread lad. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some scales and eat less, which doesn't really leave me much for fuel in the gym. It's awfully complicated this dieting stuff, haha.
  • DonnaMiles1966
    Options
    You think you're doing the right thing, but not much in the way of results sadly. It's got to come together eventually and all just "click I didn't excersise for over a year and strangely enough lost weight, down to 71kgs, then 6 months ago I started training again and it's working the opposite. I dunno what's going on, UGH!!! Think my system is in need of an overhaul. If I don't eat sufficient calories I can feel it while working out, I don't have the stamina at all. I tried eating less and that was the result. No up and go. Maybe I'm exercising too much? Too little? *sigh* You guys have been amazing and I appreciate all the input xx
  • DonnaMiles1966
    Options
    Oh, and yes the Rowing machine is a Concept2 👍
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Exercise for health. Exercise machines are often high estimates.
    Eating less calories than your body burns is the way weight is lost. ALWAYS.
    Many people lose weight with no additional exercise. I lost 90 pounds before I began to even walk more.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The stair climber shows 100 cal burnt in 10 minutes maybe because I have the pace/level set toggling between 5 and 8, but like go hard most of the time on there with a slow to 5 until I catch my breath, lol.

Interval training feels hard but usually results in a lower calorie burn than pushing at a hard but sustainable level as the recovery intervals drag down your average. Going at "7" for the whole time might require more work in the physics sense than toggling between higher and lower.

As examples two indoor bike training sessions this week:
    Really hard and exhausting intervals that left me pretty wiped out and needing recovery, that really was enough for one day - 611 net cals
    Steady state and sustainable decently brisk effort but left me feeling fine afterwards and could have continued - 676 net cals
    (Different training modalities for different fitness benefits which is what exercise should mostly be about though.)

I would trust the Concept2 calculation so you could try to see what effort you can sustain for 10 mins and compare that to your Stair Climber - although a far from perfect comparison it could provide some insight into your capabilities.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    This^^^

Welcome
    Back @kimny72 seems like you’ve been gone a while!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I, too, am suspicious that that treadmill is overestimating, and I say that as someone who used to be about the same size you are now (my starting weight was mid-180s pounds, around 83kg).

FWIW:

This is imprecise (for various technical reasons), but at your current 87kg weight, 600 calories per hour on the Concept 2 Rower is going to happen somewhere around 570 calories per hour on the C2 display. (The machine shows calories for a 175 pound (about 75kg) person. The weight adjustment calculator sijomial linked will give more calories to a person heavier than that, fewer to someone lighter than that.)

That calorie level expenditure level ought to happen around something in the vicinity of 2:45 per 500m average (exactly where depends on some other stuff I'm not going to go into here, but in that neighborhood). So, you can pretty easily hop on the rower, set the monitor on calories (a thing I would *never* usually recommend! 😆), shoot for that calorie number, and see how hard 10 calories per minute feels. (It will differ a bit between exercise types, but it's a ballpark concept.)

I don't usually row for a solid hour continuously, but I'm quite sure I could hold the 2:45 for a solid hour. But I've been rowing for 17+ years, with good coaching and some competitive experience in those years, and a decent fitness level at this point, so I don't know how well that generalizes, especially since I'm older as well (65).

Looking at it another way, that's not a super-fast split ("split" is what rowers usually call the time/500m) in the Concept 2 rankings for women in the 50-59 heavyweight women group (where OP would fall) rowing a full hour. People usually rank their best times, when they're trying very hard, and those ranking would probably be women of all experience levels and fitness levels (fit enough to row for a solid hour, of course). 86 of the 97 women who ranked full-hour rows went faster than that. (Of course, likely the very fastest ones are very, very fit.)

All of that with the usual caveat: . . . if I did the math right, which sometimes I don't. 😉
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Like others have said, it's likely a combo of not having accurate food portions and also over-estimating the calories burned in exercise. 300 from a weights session sounds very high to me. As a guy I enter 130 for myself, which I got from the formula below. The treadmill is probably over-stating your calories too. That could put you off by about 1,000 calories per week just on the exercise.

It sounds like you're going to be plenty diligent enough when you get the right numbers input, so I'm sure the gains will swiftly follow.

It's also possible that you are gaining some muscle from all that training.

Did you enter the correct activity level to MFP? i.e. sedentary/active/etc. That would be your typical daily activity not including the workouts you're tracking separately.

https://btn.academy/blogs/news/how-many-calories-do-you-burn-during-weight-training
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    OP just curious: have you invested in a food scale yet? They’re fairly cheap so I really really think if you haven’t yet, you should get one NOW.

Best of luck!
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Two pounds of muscle mass gain in a month would be a really good result, for a woman, under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions include a good progressive strength training program faithfully practiced, excellent nutrition (especially protein), favorable genetics, relative youth, and a calorie surplus (some of which unfortunately don't apply to me or to the OP).

On the flip side, two pounds a month would be about the slowest observable rate of fat loss (250 calorie daily deficit).

I wish it were otherwise, but the sad conclusion is that it's fairly unlikely that a woman is failing to see weight loss on the scale while eating low calories, because of muscle mass gain.
    She thinks she is in a calorie deficit but the fact she is maintaining or gaining weight suggests otherwise. This, combined with her high protein intake and high levels of working out suggests she may well be gaining muscle while also losing some fat.

She didn't say anything about "two pounds", but she did say she noticed she has gained muscle. Basically I'm saying if she has gained X pounds of muscle and lost X pounds of fat, she shouldn't feel discouraged at that progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Also, how's your sleep?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Two pounds of muscle mass gain in a month would be a really good result, for a woman, under ideal conditions. Ideal conditions include a good progressive strength training program faithfully practiced, excellent nutrition (especially protein), favorable genetics, relative youth, and a calorie surplus (some of which unfortunately don't apply to me or to the OP).

On the flip side, two pounds a month would be about the slowest observable rate of fat loss (250 calorie daily deficit).

I wish it were otherwise, but the sad conclusion is that it's fairly unlikely that a woman is failing to see weight loss on the scale while eating low calories, because of muscle mass gain.
    She thinks she is in a calorie deficit but the fact she is maintaining or gaining weight suggests otherwise. This, combined with her high protein intake and high levels of working out suggests she may well be gaining muscle while also losing some fat.

She didn't say anything about "two pounds", but she did say she noticed she has gained muscle. Basically I'm saying if she has gained X pounds of muscle and lost X pounds of fat, she shouldn't feel discouraged at that progress.

@Retroguy2000

No idea why you are getting so many disagrees to what is a very reasonable post - can only think people are disagreeing with something you haven't actually said!
    (Note to those disagreeing - It wasn't said that lack of weight loss was DUE to muscle gain, it was merely said that some muscle may well have been gained.)

OP says herself she is maintaining or even gaining a little weight (clearly not actually in a deficit), is weight training five hours a week and has been for months and is seeing some muscle gain.

The conclusion that someone may be recomping is entirely reasonable and should be encouraging to the OP that although weight loss isn't happening she is getting some payback from all her efforts.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @Retroguy2000

No idea why you are getting so many disagrees to what is a very reasonable post - can only think people are disagreeing with something you haven't actually said!
    (Note to those disagreeing - It wasn't said that lack of weight loss was DUE to muscle gain, it was merely said that some muscle may well have been gained.)

OP says herself she is maintaining or even gaining a little weight (clearly not actually in a deficit), is weight training five hours a week and has been for months and is seeing some muscle gain.

The conclusion that someone may be recomping is entirely reasonable and should be encouraging to the OP that although weight loss isn't happening she is getting some payback from all her efforts.
    Thank you. I just saw my post saying essentially what you just said has 4 dislikes and 1 like.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    I think AnnP was talking generally, just to give an idea what kind of muscle gain might be possible for women under ideal conditions, not that TO is gaining 2lbs per month. That's how I understood it anyway. But yes, TO, please come back and let us know what you think.