Adding new food items in a efficient way?

Options
I just added:
"Roshen - Bim Bom (single candy)"

But it was cumbersome to create.

What is the easy way to create a food of certain size (approx 7.3 grams) with information of 100 grams in the box/bag.
Do you calculate it as I did with google sheets, or is there any way to insert correct information of 100 grams to the database and then add additional and default size of 7.3 grams?

In a way what I created is duplicate, because 100grams version of single candies in a bag of 1Kg was already there, but I did not find any way to make it right. ( so I left it wrong :-| ) Making things worse for me, language of the size was in russia so I needed to google what it means.

Any tutorials of support for multi-language or regional localization?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,295 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your problem. If there was already an entry for a 100gr serving, why not just use that entry and enter a serving size of .073?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand your problem. If there was already an entry for a 100gr serving, why not just use that entry and enter a serving size of .073?

Or, if it was there, but the nutrition values or calories are incorrect, you can correct it.

On the phone app (at least in the Android version), you start as if you were going to log that food. When you have the food's detail on the screen (nutrition & what-not), and scroll down to the bottom of the page. There, you will find "report food". Click on that, and follow directions. Later in the process, it will let you save the corrected foods to "My Foods" for future use.

On the web version of MFP, do a search for the food from your diary (add food), find the almost-right current entry, and click on it so the nutritional info shows on the right-hand side of the page. Click on "nutrition info" on the right side, then look for "Is this data accurate?" and click "no" there. Then follow the instructions..

You can't correct a green-checked (verified) food, I believe. That does *not* mean they're necessarily accurate. In those cases I think you'd need to create a duplicate, if there's no better entry there to use or edit.
  • amarkula
    amarkula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi, Maybe I don't have a scale with me, but I can count candies. That's why to use "single sized"-count.
    edtahgm58p3g.jpg

• amarkula
    amarkula Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There, you will find "report food". Click on that, and follow directions. Later in the process, it will let you save the corrected foods to "My Foods" for future use.
    On my version, I didn't find a way to add new size, if there is, please help me to it.
    On the web version of MFP, do a search for the food from your diary (add food), find the almost-right current entry, and click on it so the nutritional info shows on the right-hand side of the page. Click on "nutrition info"....
    I did try this change on the original russian data entry, and did not see a way to add new size, and I also think that it would be "wrong" to think that I have more right to make changes to the original, just because I can't read the language. Yet this problem....exists at least until some kind of a localization is possible.
    idk what's the right way or if there's one.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,763 Member
    Options
    amarkula wrote: »
    There, you will find "report food". Click on that, and follow directions. Later in the process, it will let you save the corrected foods to "My Foods" for future use.
    On my version, I didn't find a way to add new size, if there is, please help me to it.
    On the web version of MFP, do a search for the food from your diary (add food), find the almost-right current entry, and click on it so the nutritional info shows on the right-hand side of the page. Click on "nutrition info"....
    I did try this change on the original russian data entry, and did not see a way to add new size, and I also think that it would be "wrong" to think that I have more right to make changes to the original, just because I can't read the language. Yet this problem....exists at least until some kind of a localization is possible.
    idk what's the right way or if there's one.

With respect to size, it seems like @Lietchi 's advice is good: 7.3 grams is 0.073 of a serving, if the serving size is 100g in the database. No new database entry is required, if size is the only problem.

My advice was meant to be an extension of lietchi's: If the quantity can be handled per the fractional-serving idea (I don't see why it can't), but something else about the item is incorrect in the database, correct the item's nutrition in the database. Once there's a corrected entry, use a fractional serving to get the right quantity.

As far as how to do the correction in your version: I don't know. I'm not MFP support. I'm just a regular MFP user, like you, trying to help you, on my own free (?) time. I described in some detail how to do a correction in both versions of MFP I can actually access myself. I actually stepped through it on 2 of my devices, in order to give those details. I'm in no position to answer questions about versions I don't and can't use, y'know? Maybe file a ticket with MFP support on the help site?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,295 Member
    Options
    amarkula wrote: »
    @Lietchi, Maybe I don't have a scale with me, but I can count candies. That's why to use "single sized"-count.
    edtahgm58p3g.jpg

if you know already how much one candy weighs, you don't need to weigh each time?
    Just multiply the known size of the candy with the number of candies you ate, if you had several.
    A frequently used food will show up on the list at the last used number of servings and serving size, if remembering is an issue.

I've never been able to add a serving size, only correct the nutritional values of the existing ones. (That being said, I only ever use the Android app, maybe it's different on the website.) So aside from the method above, creating a new entry in a different serving size would seem to be the only other option.