Your favourite at home workout

Hi all, what's your favorite at home workout? I am a single mum to a 3 year old so runs, going for a cycle or a long walk are out of the question. I have really lost all motivation to workout and haven't been doing so for about a month now. I am still quite the beginner, I want to lose some weight and tone up and also have some fun and feel good about myself. I really need some inspiration and would love some suggestions ☺

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited December 2020
    i have a squat rack, flat bench, and olympic barbell set i use for squat, bench, press and deadlift.

also a chin up bar, ab-wheel, ez-curl bar and dumbbells for various assistance work.
  • amgmd
    amgmd Posts: 2 Member
    I just got the apple fitness+ and am really liking it so far.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I use my Nintendo Switch and do Ring Fit Adventure.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I'm fortunate that I have a couple of cardio machines at my house (one being a $50 used elliptical bought YEARS ago), but what I love to do is just find some Zumba/Zumba-like or Tae Bo videos on YouTube. There are a couple of Zumba instructors (although they can't call it Zumba or they'll get taken down) that I like, because I love latin music and latin-style dancing. I can do a couple of songs, or I can do a full workout.

For strength training I'm going to the gym, but I loved doing Barre-type exercise with the Suzanne Bowen membership.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I have a full wt lifting gym in my garage, a v Crossfit set up in my yard and a spin bike but I get my favorite workout roeing 5-10km daily on my Concept 2 rower.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Jump rope hiit, Pilates and kettlebells.

I used to love to row and bought a cheap rowing machine that died on me after a few months. I wish I could row without spending a fortune on a rowing machine or going to the gym.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,167 Member
    I love the workouts from team Body Project. I'm doing the two week transformation program right now. It's a killer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Hi all, what's your favorite at home workout? I am a single mum to a 3 year old so runs, going for a cycle or a long walk are out of the question. I have really lost all motivation to workout and haven't been doing so for about a month now. I am still quite the beginner, I want to lose some weight and tone up and also have some fun and feel good about myself. I really need some inspiration and would love some suggestions ☺

Mostly cycling. When my kids were that age I had a little trailer that I towed behind my bike...I'd throw them in there, and off we'd go. I also had an indoor bike trainer for when that wasn't possible or the weather is bad...I still have it, but don't use it much...my new direct drive smart trainer should be arriving in the next couple of days and along with Zwift will make my indoor cycling much more fun. My wife is a runner and she used to take the boys out in a jogging stroller when they were younger.

I don't personally get a whole lot out of doing exercise for the sake of exercise...so various YouTube videos and whatnot just don't do much for me. My preference is to just be active, and if I do go the training/workout route, there has to be some greater purpose like cycling events and whatnot for that to be overly compelling as otherwise I would rather just be out on my bike enjoying the fresh air and having fun.
  • foreverblissful
    foreverblissful Posts: 50 Member
    Strength training: I use resistance bands along side minibands when doing legs to mimic my workout from the gym at home.

Cardio: Just Dance 2020 on my Nintendo Switch for an hour. It's a super fun way to break a sweat. Also helps teach you a few new dance moves for when things go back to normal post quarantine 😉
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    I'm a fan of the P90X and Body Beast (if you have dumbbells)... I add in Yoga maybe once or twice a week on my rest days.
  • RashadLavelle
    RashadLavelle Posts: 46 Member
    Strength training: I use resistance bands along side minibands when doing legs to mimic my workout from the gym at home.

Cardio: Just Dance 2020 on my Nintendo Switch for an hour. It's a super fun way to break a sweat. Also helps teach you a few new dance moves for when things go back to normal post quarantine 😉

My son and I do the Just Dance 2020. I burned a lot of calories when I had my fitbit on. Definitely a good investment.
  • JSLuke59
    JSLuke59 Posts: 65 Member
    I have some basic equipment with free weights and a heavy bag for my cardio. I set up a home gym in my attic when COVID shutdowns occurred earlier this year. Calorie counting and strength training works well. My workout schedule is always 4:00 - 5:30 am, 5 days a week unless my body is telling me otherwise.
    Don’t use motivation as your driving force. Motivation comes and goes. You need to develop a routine that you can commit to so when the motivation isn’t there the habit and determination will ALWAYS carry you through.
    Best of luck to you!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Been using Ring Fit on the Switch and my boyfriend just bought me Just Dance 2021 and it’s hard to resist using it. 😂
  • vanmep wrote: »
    Don’t laugh but sometimes I still pull out Jane Fonda from about 1982 😆
    That one made me smile. Hey, whatever works.

To original poster: You need to find something that will work in with your day and your life and that you enjoy doing.
    I’m a BeachBody on demand subscriber. It is something like $120/ year. I love it. They have all kinds of different programs. The part about that I like is every program has a calendar (1, 3, 4, 8 weeks, etc). So, it is kind of like joining a class. You decide, I’m going to do this program, then follow the calendar. They have a variety of sample workouts that you can try.
    You didn’t mention if you have any equipment. BeachBody has certain programs that don’t use any equipment.

Good luck!

• sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    Hey, @vanmep, I'm not laughing! :) I do Jane Fonda's LEAN Routine and her Lower Body Workout, adapting them so they're both low impact to protect my knees. I also do a Barre video and Yoga for Seniors (which, I reluctantly admit I am).
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Adjustable dumbbells and incline/decline bench for lifting 5 day split, using one of the Apple Fitness 10-20 min workouts as a warmup.
    Walk (3-5 miles) or bike (6-12 miles) 4-5 days a week. I’m trying to change the walks to walk/run/walk for better cardio as my body allows.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    I love my resistance bands. I have cables and loops (the light elasticated kind you can put around your legs, plus the seriously thick kind). My workouts came from my personal trainer who's a physio, but I know enough to be able to pick up exercises elsewhere and incorporate them.

I enjoy dancing, so I've got the Figure 8 program too - it's hard work to begin with, not least because my coordination is pretty rubbish. :D